Will HMC still exist?

JoeCruisin

HAHAHA I knew there was a reason why I liked you, Neal.

Trying to find something to laugh about can be pretty tough. That's a joke i can't tell around church -- too many on each side of the political spectrum. Oh, and, of course, one mustn't forget that, being a pastor, I have to keep my lips sealed on the subject of politics or risk hurting the church's status. :) Hence, I'm apolitical around church ... but in venues like this I can "let my hair (what little of it there is left) down a bit."

Isadore blew through the Cozumel area in September 2002 and I was there about 6 weeks after, vacationing on a small island in the area that I had been to about 4 months before. What struck me was how the coastline had been "rearranged". The storm surge had caused some of the beach bars & palapas to be wading in a few feet of water while other areas suddenly had more beach. But more commonly, the sand appeared to have been just "washed away".

My point is, with HMC being a tendering port and the fact that in a category 4 storm the docks have a chance to be severely damaged, the buildings are not the only thing to worry about. Until it is safe for passengers to disembark there, there may be no HMC for a little while.:( :( :(

I'm very bummed because I'm supposed to be standing on that beach in about three and a half weeks.

My thoughts are with all the Bahamians that they stay safe.:o

AT 5 PM EDT...2100Z...THE CENTER OF FRANCES WAS LOCATED NEAR

LATITUDE 24.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 74.8 WEST

Half Moon is at Latitude 24.35 and Longitude 75.55.

Looks like Half Moon took a direct hit.

The caretaker and the local workers who 'man' HMC all come from Eleuthra which is about 30 minutes away. They probably returned to their homes there and perhaps took "The Clipper" with them. (That is the work boat that carts all the provisions from ship to shore each time HAL pulls in.)

Trying to find something to laugh about can be pretty tough. That's a joke i can't tell around church -- too many on each side of the political spectrum. Oh, and, of course, one mustn't forget that, being a pastor, I have to keep my lips sealed on the subject of politics or risk hurting the church's status. :) Hence, I'm apolitical around church ... but in venues like this I can "let my hair (what little of it there is left) down a bit."

I understand completely...although I have known a couple of ministers who weren't shy when it came to expressing their opinions from the pulpit. ;)

I understand completely...although I have known a couple of ministers who weren't shy when it came to expressing their opinions from the pulpit.

Some clergy, and some denominations, can get away with making political statements from the pulpit ... these same can invite political candidates to speak from their pulpits.

That doesn't apply to us. :D

I sure am worried about HMC. I pray it weathered the storm ok ... and that the damage can be quickly cleaned up. They'll have about a month and a week to get it back into shape before we're due there.

RevNeal: We were on the Maasdam in Nov of 2001 during hurricane Michelle. I believe HMC sustained some minor damage to the tendering docks then. We were scheduled to stop there and could not. Also Grand Cayman was cancelled due to some minor damage. Hurricane Michelle didn't have the impact that Frances will have.

I sure am worried about HMC. I pray it weathered the storm ok ... and that the damage can be quickly cleaned up. They'll have about a month and a week to get it back into shape before we're due there.

You and me both...my brother just sent me a sat picture of Frances roaring through the Bahamas and the eye is right on top of HMC/Little San Salvador. :( To think I was there just a week ago and things couldn't have been better.

I've been wondering about this beautiful island all day and was going to post a question when I saw this post and all your subsequent responses. Disney also has a beautiful island .. castaway cay .. It's also a Bahama island, but I don't know how close it is in relation to half moon cay .. They both surprisingly look a lot a like..both are beautiful and offer such a relaxing experience.

I know Disney a few years ago suffered quite a bit of damage from a hurrican that shut down the island for a few months while they rebuilt. Disney actually docks at their island, and the dock sustained a lot of damage.

We certainly hope everyone on the island is safe, and that damage sustained isn't too bad.. We sit here in new england in disbelief looking at the sheer size of this monster storm..and we pray that everyone safely gets out of harms way. Those islands are so tiny...where does one go to seek safety and get out of the way of such a powerful storm?

Does anyone know if HAL has the horses on the island yet?? Wonder what will happen to the 3-day westerdam cruise that was to visit half moon cay to kick off all the enhancements they are making?

Peggy Sue

Does anyone know if HAL has the horses on the island yet?? Wonder what will happen to the 3-day westerdam cruise that was to visit half moon cay to kick off all the enhancements they are making?

No the horses are apparently not on the island yet.

Archived