Any Golfers out There, I need help!!

lindsaymarie

I don't know a thing about any golf pro aboard ships but if you happen to be in an "S" or "PS" cabin, I think the concierge can assist you. I have heard of concierges arranging privileges at courses, booking transportation and tee times and having guests picked up, taken to play golf and returned to the ship. They have raved about the wonderful days they enjoyed.

What ship are you sailing/when?

Don't know what ship you will be on, but HAL ships don't have golf pros anymore. The best thing to do is arrange your own teetime online before you go. Taxis are always available dockside and he and his golfing friends just grab a cab and go right to the course. All the golf courses have online sites for bookings. My husband always makes his arrangements from home and has never had a problem. If you wait until you get there or do anything from the ship teetimes can be gone.

Last time there he played Mahogany Run. Great course. He has run into a problem before when he first depended on waiting and having the concierge book his golf round. The course he wanted was already booked solid. So since then he had made teetimes online from home on many of the islands and had no problems at all with it. All the golfing friends he has cruised with, who also have been in suites, always do everything online early before sailing. The good courses get booked by those at land resorts.

Don't know what ship you will be on, but HAL ships don't have golf pros anymore. Book early before sailing. The good courses get booked.

That is correct. I called HAL's customer service and she told me they have no plans to add anything 'golf'.

That's why we had to do golf cruises with Carnival. I booked the golf tours online with Carnival's Elite golf, and the golf pro did everything else.

I believe if you do a search Holland America elite golf, you might find some more info.

The golf is a separate category, and that section's customer service will e-mail you to get all the details, such as clubs, shoes, bringing your own equipment, how many in the party, etc.

Pat

A few years ago we played at Mahogany Run in St. Thomas, all arrangements were made by the shore excursion office, including tee times, payment and transportation. It was a highlight of that cruise, however because we were tendering it was a scene that brought several smiles as we were bringing our golf clubs ashore.

All of this always depends upon how many ships/passengers are in port on a given day. If there are 6 ships in, it is crowded and harder to get tee times.

If there are only two ships in, there is less demand.

Check to see how mamy ships will be in port with you. It makes a difference.

The competition for teetimes in the Caribbean comes from the many land resorts on islands such as St. Thomas and Aruba rather than from other cruisers. Each of those islands has one famous golf course and many resorts which are popular with golfers, so teetimes really have to be made pretty far in advance. You really don't see a lot of golfers getting off the cruise ships. Bermuda is a little different in that there are many good courses to play and you do see more cruise pax that sail to Bermuda to play one or more of the courses.

We were on the Prinsendam in Sept. and there certainly was a golf pro in attendance.

Whenever HAL has an exception to the rule, it seems the Prinsendam is the likely ship. The Prinsendam is the exception on this rule; it's the only ship that still has the golf simulator, too.

Archived