Onboard Credit

RMVET

My BIL gave us an onboard credit on the Christmas cruise as a Christmas gift few years ago. It was a lovely surprise.

However, an onboard credit should not be a surprise. Tell the relative that you're doing this so that he knows to check on it when he gets on board. And don't be overly generous--try to estimate how much it's likely to be. I don't know how easy it is to get the extra money back (we've never had any credit left over ;) )

Kathy

I'm just wondering if, instead of a credit, you could arrange with Cunard to charge the final account to your credit card rather than your relative's. I don't know if Cunard will do that but it might be worth asking:)

Can we purchase onboard credit before or while we are onboard. We want to prepay expenses for a relative so he isn't presented a bill at the end of the voyage that we wanted to pay.

The danger with this is that overpaying means you lose the extra, and underpaying leaves him with a bill.

Malcolm's suggestion is a good one.

Are you taking him to the cruise? Can you embark him using your card? Assuming you don't think he'll be ordering Chateau Latour every night.......

Alternatively give him a card to take on board, which tells him you'll be meeting the bill when it comes in - you can repay him before it hits him if he puts it on a credit card.

Matthew

Archived