does your preschool boy wear a jacket?

OnTheBrink

John will be 3.5 when we go on the cruise (March). How many little boys that age wear jackets to dinner? The last time we went he was 8 months and had a super cute tux that he had worn in a wedding. But this time, we don't have anything like that. I'm wondering how much it's needed. Could a long sleeve button down with khaki pants work?

On the other hand, he'd be adorable in a jacket and it would make his Nonna (grandma who is paying our way) swoon! So - any great suggestions?

Depending on your cruise line some traditionalists might look down on you, but I think it's ridiculous to spend that kind of money for something they will only wear on the cruise. If it's something you have or something someone gives you it's different. At most my son will wear a button down like you described and I'm also looking for a sweater vest. So far haven't found it but I think as Halloween clears out and the holiday clothes come in I should hopefully find something. Dark blue pants would work too.

Make Nonna happy!! :)

If you do buy him a little suit that he'll wear on the cruise, have some formal portraits taken. He'll look so sweet!

My little John wears a suit. Sometimes the kids change after dinner to go to the Kid's Club, although he stays formal all evening.

Also, a shirt, tie, and dark trousers would look appropriate.

Check e-bay or used-clothing stores for these items.

Enjoy your cruise.

OK that picture is adorable. Maybe next year I'll do an ebay search. This year is I get a button down, a vest, and he eats with utensils (mine is 2) I'll be happy. If that works out next year I'll go for the suit. I'll start the search on ebay as soon as we get home. LOL

Man I'd have to send my son's suit for dry cleaning before formal nights. LOL and it would be so cute for the formal portraits we plan on taking. Taking several both nights, hopefully 1 will come out.

I change my mind, if you can find a suit on ebay or a second hand store go for it. But don't buy it new and don't spend a lot of money.

Alessandrina what kind of shoes did he wear?

Larronry: As for the shoes, simple black dress shoes that I bought at Payless, they were faux-leather, of course with black socks. Surprisingly he had use out of the shoes for nearly a year.

Even if you (the Original Poster) buy the suit now, perhaps your son could wear it during the holidays or for a holiday portrait and then on the cruise.

Also, around this time of year you will see boy's Xmas outfits with a shirt, slacks, dressy vest and bow tie. My grandson looked really cute in his on formal nights. I think it was about $15 at Penneys.

As long as I can find non xmas colors that's a great price. I'll have to go check out Penneys. Wow.

On our first cruise, our then-4 YO wore navy pants, a white dress shirt, and a bow tie - no jacket. I can't tell you the number of people that fawned over him (as opposed to his two older brothers who were wearing jackets!)

I found a set like this on clearance at Macy's for my ds's second formal night. It came with pants, a vest, and a tie...it was Claiborne and it was on sale for less than $20. People stopped to take pictures of my ds in that outfit.

Children's Place just got a bunch of holiday clothes in and there's a coupon for 10% (in addition to any discount you may receive with a CP credit card). But if you're not sailing until March wait until after the holiday season when it all goes on clearance. Last year I got a velvety black suspender pants for DS for $8 at CP--and check online at childrensplace.com and look for coupons, there's always some.

We're sailing after Thanksgiving so I probably wont find anything on sale, but luckily DS has uncles and aunts who buy a lot of cute clothes and usually several sizes too big. We've got last year's gifts he can finally wear for the cruise!

Children's Place stuff can be expensive even with the coupon, it depends, and I got one that will shock you, because it did me. I alway buy onesies from there, especially as he gets bigger because they have the larger size. I think this was a problem with the red only (it was the long sleeve not short and it was either red or blue) that beaded and bled onto his skin like it was cheap. Target's brand of that color was fine and what I ended up having him wear.

This was last year and wasn't a problem the year before. I like the onsies because they look nice and stay tucked in.

You know it's absolutely crazy with worrying about money but I see these outfits, and there adorable, but they're $50 and for something he'll wear once I think it's ridiculous. Then again living in Florida he'll be colder on the cruise ship then he'll almost ever be at home because of the a/c is cold. By the time the next holiday rolls around there is no way I'll put a suit on him because it will be 80 degrees. :eek:

Yeah I like onesies & that they stay tucked in. But he likes to sit on the potty so we've moved away from that since he gets frustrated with the buttons. That's freaky with the dye bleeding. I like some of the target brand onesies, they're pretty tough for playwear.

CP can be expensive pre-sale but I don't buy anything before it goes on sale. And for clearance prices they're excellent! And it goes on sale pretty quickly. Their halloween tees and pjs were on sale last week already--got cute spider pj's for $3. Whereas I was out shopping and stopped in at a Marshalls (or maybe a Ross?) anyway, all they had was overpriced Sean Jean overalls and every imaginable Ralph Lauren for kids made.

Yeah I like onesies & that they stay tucked in. But he likes to sit on the potty so we've moved away from that since he gets frustrated with the buttons. That's freaky with the dye bleeding. I like some of the target brand onesies, they're pretty tough for playwear.

CP can be expensive pre-sale but I don't buy anything before it goes on sale. And for clearance prices they're excellent! And it goes on sale pretty quickly. Their halloween tees and pjs were on sale last week already--got cute spider pj's for $3. Whereas I was out shopping and stopped in at a Marshalls (or maybe a Ross?) anyway, all they had was overpriced Sean Jean overalls and every imaginable Ralph Lauren for kids made.

I guess that gives me 1 more year of of onesies.

I never buy at CP before the sale either. I remember the days when Marshalls and Ross always had good deals but now their prices aren't always good deals. Then again outlet malls used to always have good deals and that's not always true anymore either.

John will be 3.5 when we go on the cruise (March). How many little boys that age wear jackets to dinner? The last time we went he was 8 months and had a super cute tux that he had worn in a wedding. But this time, we don't have anything like that. I'm wondering how much it's needed. Could a long sleeve button down with khaki pants work?

On the other hand, he'd be adorable in a jacket and it would make his Nonna (grandma who is paying our way) swoon! So - any great suggestions?

For a littel one..I would go with very neat --, nice shoes, slacks and a shirt..If it were cool you could add a cardigan. Something kid friendly as far as comfort and easy for ships laundrey to wash :D

But there is no reason to put him in a jacket and tie..nor spend the $ on a tux for a toddler--unless you really want him dressed up for the veening or for some family picture

Frankly --only now that my boys are older do they wear ties..But I am pretty traditional on children dressing in appropriate chidlren's clothing--My boys had saddle shoes and cardigans --etc when they were toddlers.

My 3 year old did the dress pants vest and tie thing. He was not into shoes, and wore his sandals. Still looked adorable though.

2965337950062803266S425x425Q85.jpg

he looks so cute!! I love the vest look. Little ones (at least mine) seem to handle vests better than jackets, but it still looks dressy I wish I could sew then I could make vests that match my dress and DH's tie--i know all that matchy-matchy family stuff gets syrups but I like a coordinated look for the pics!

The pics of the little ones are so cute! Try Sears and WalMart too. They both (here locally) have suits (pant, vest and jacket) Sears also added white shirt and tie, all at less than $30 6mo-4T. I think it is probably a Christmas deal. I got one for a cousins little one at that price from Sears. Back in May we did a cruise, I bought a very nice outfit at Baby Gab after Christmas for almost nothing that he wore and a Nordstrom fancy dress for less than most short sets cost this past summer at Penneys.That is the best time of year to find the "clothes for dining and special occass" deals for children.

I'm buying a tux off eBay for my nearly-3 year old. They're about $50 and I figure I can dry clean it and then sell it used on eBay for about $30 or so after the cruise. I just think he'll be so freakin' cute that I can't resist. (But, disclaimer, I already bought his holiday outfit from Children's Place to match my neice's holiday dress, so I am that kind of person. They will probably wear the mtaching outfits on the cruise, too. Man it's fun to dress him before he has an opinion on it.) Of course, he'll be wearing his black Converse shoes to complete the look. ;)

I'm buying a tux off eBay for my nearly-3 year old. They're about $50 and I figure I can dry clean it and then sell it used on eBay for about $30 or so after the cruise. I just think he'll be so freakin' cute that I can't resist. (But, disclaimer, I already bought his holiday outfit from Children's Place to match my neice's holiday dress, so I am that kind of person. They will probably wear the mtaching outfits on the cruise, too. Man it's fun to dress him before he has an opinion on it.) Of course, he'll be wearing his black Converse shoes to complete the look. ;)

Don't talk to me about matching....lol...I am the QUEEN of matching and CP has really great matching stuff! My boys wore CP stuff for their 2 cruises and one thing to note is that even though they totally TRASHED their clothes at meal time....everything came right out in the wash...even red yellow on a white shirt! For their second cruise I brought jackets and didn't end up using them. They are still sitting in my closet unused...maybe I should be putting them on ebay!

Monique

We dress the kids up. Burlington Coat Factory also has some cheap deals. Penneys also a good place when they are on sale. Last year my SIL bought all the kids clothes on ebay. The boy had a captains outfit for formal night, the girl was a little princess. They always looked great for very little money. Just shop for the sales. At 2 YO, clothes are clothes. They don't care if its a suit or not but they sure look adorable. My 3 YO grandson will have his suits for formal and semi formal -the 6 MO will have her dressy clothes too. Its a picture perfect moment.

We dress the kids up. Burlington Coat Factory also has some cheap deals. Penneys also a good place when they are on sale. Last year my SIL bought all the kids clothes on ebay. The boy had a captains outfit for formal night, the girl was a little princess. They always looked great for very little money. Just shop for the sales. At 2 YO, clothes are clothes. They don't care if its a suit or not but they sure look adorable. My 3 YO grandson will have his suits for formal and semi formal -the 6 MO will have her dressy clothes too. Its a picture perfect moment.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned to frequent the used shops in your area yet. I just saw a 4T navy blazer for less than $10. It looks like new (because at that age, kids don't wear them for more than just pictures anyway!) :D We have a Once Upon a Child that seems to have a high turnover, so I go in once a week when I'm looking for something in particular. I already have DS's black shoes (like new) for formal that were $5.

Archived