muster drill arm bands

NoelsCat

It's for kids who are in the children's program so that they can be brought to the right station in the event of an emergency should they be in the children's program and not with mom and dad. If that is the case then yes the child must wear it.

My son, since he can't be in the program without my being there, will not be given one.

When we show up for the muster drill the ship's staff always puts a wrist band on my children. They don't ask if they're going to be in the camp program or not. At least on Carnival, each kid younger than 12 gets one regardless of them going to camp or not.

In fact, my son's came off on our last cruise and one of the ship's staff noticed and asked that my son go to the purser's desk asap and get a new one put on.

Well I didn't see it on Princess or Celebrity on the kids to young for the camp. And mine definetly will be upset by it so it's not worth it. He'll either be with me or his Dad except for the short time our friends will be watching him and we'll be in walkie talkie contact so nope not going to be putting on a band. Just another excuse for a tantrum.

He has tantrums at long sleeves and collars as is.

Okay, can someone please explain the arm bands with muster drill? Do children have to wear them? Can I cut it off?

Can someone please explain the purpose? I don't really want my son wearing an armband for a week...

After my ds had a reaction to the arm band, we cut it off. I had a black sharpie with me and wrote Muster D on his hand. No one in camp said anything to me. If they had, I would have shoved his infected arm in their face and gotten really mad. My baby was never alone, but I kept her band on...just in case there was some sort of an emergency and she somehow got separated from us.

Ok I just looked at pictures to remember and the answer for us was no. My youngest was not wearing a band in the pictures when she was 8 months old.

But, I can remember on RCCL and Carnival seeing toddlers with the band on their ANKLE. It's suppose to annoy them less when it's there. I know that my youngest gets REALLY iritated with her band for the first few days. If I can convince her to keep it on, she does. But I know on the last cruise, she slipped it off and they never put another one on her. ;)

That is correct. After all he'll always be with you. That other post scared you didn't it?

LOL, yes. :)

I can tell you right now, my son would NOT react well to an arm/ankle band. LOL. I will be bringing a pair of scissors.

I think it depends on the cruise line. When we were on Carnival, our son (18 months old @the time) had to wear the arm band the whole time. He is very easy going, so it wasn't a problem.

On Princess, neither of our sons (3 y/o and 9 m/o @the time), had to wear them (even when in camp for the 3 y/o).

All 5 of my children HAD to wear them when we were on the Conquest last month. They put them on them during the Muster drill. My 2 year old didn't like it but I told him he had to wear it. I didn't make a big deal over them so it was not an issue. There was a mom saying that she didn't like the way they "looked" and thought they would be uncomfortable. Naturally the kid that was with her ended up kicking and screaming at the lady that was trying to put it on. IMHO I would rather deal with the discomfort then worry about it during an emergency.

Now the arm bands are in a box waiting to be scrapbooked or something. They make a great souvenier.

Kim

MOM to 5

Hannah ~ 7

Kolby ~ 5

Lauryn ~ 5

Dylan ~ 5

Holton ~ 2

On Celebrity this past summer, the 7 mo old in our group had to have one (ankle placement). On RCCL in May, the 10 mo old and the 3 yr olds had them...the 10 mo old had hers' replaced several times as my sisiter con't to remove it (she did not like it). At 10 mo old she was not a part of the kids program. I do not know if it is the ship, the crew at the time or what. I do have to agree with removing it if the child does not like it, pulls at it or has a reaction to it but if Mom has an issue, well, get over it. We all say the child is with us all the time, but what about God forbid, something really bad did occur, that would be your connection to the child's safety on a frantic ship. An arm band is not that big of a deal. It is like at the hospital, you wear it...wrist or ankle. Small price for an added bit of safety.

The OP and I had read a post by a parent who had discovered after several days that the band had been put on real tight and that a layer of skin had basically been damaged.

I think I would check for tightness immediately myself I mean as soon as I put on my cats collar (not to compare my son to an animal) I stick my 2 fingers underneath to make sure it's not too tight so I would think I would do the same with my son.

If I find my son has an issue with it and the ship has an issue with it then I will ask the ship for a few extra bands so that I can make the necessary adjustments to find the location where my son leaves it alone. And at the same time I can put it on carefully instead of in a rush like that crew member must have done who caused that damage. But truthfully my son has very sensitive skin so that could be a major issue.

The OP and I had read a post by a parent who had discovered after several days that the band had been put on real tight and that a layer of skin had basically been damaged.

... But truthfully my son has very sensitive skin so that could be a major issue.

This is my son, too. He is a red head with very sensitive skin. So I do have concerns about the "banding" other than aesthetics.

Oh my goodness! What is this about arm bands? The kids HAVE to wear them?!?! I detest armbands (might sound crazy, but they make me clausterphobic). I don't know that I can have these on my kids constantly. I can see having them on when in the kids clubs, but not just tooling around the ship or port. I don't even know if my 3yo will wear it. :eek:

Oh my goodness! What is this about arm bands? The kids HAVE to wear them?!?! I detest armbands (might sound crazy, but they make me clausterphobic). I don't know that I can have these on my kids constantly. I can see having them on when in the kids clubs, but not just tooling around the ship or port. I don't even know if my 3yo will wear it. :eek:

What is it that you detest about them for your kids? They aren't for you, they are for the kids safety, you shouldn't pass your fears down to your children.

I'm not trying to bash anyone, but this whole thread is kind of silly. I understand someone having one that's too tight and causes an irritation, but that's just plain common sense, check your childs band and if it's too tight go get another one. I just can't understand why anyone would have an issue w/their child wearing a band that will connect them to you if there was an emergency. And I know kids that are too young for AO would be w/you anyway, but to me it's just peace of mind, regardless if they are w/you or not. I don't care if my children have to wear one on both wrists and ankles....if I know that's the only way they will be brought to me during an emergency, then so be it. At least this way I can enjoy my time w/out them while they are in AO. I won't be worrying about how the AO staff will find me if something happens, it's right there on my kids wrists!!

My son is nearly 5 and has sensory issues. This arm band thing is going to require weeks of practice for us. He won't even put a sticker on his shirt because he can hear the crinkling. Every shirt, pants, sock, shoe has been carefully selected so that he can get through his day without drama. This throws me for an unexpected loop.

Yes, it's for safety and we'll make sure it happens. But it is still an issue that we have to deal with.

My son is nearly 5 and has sensory issues. This arm band thing is going to require weeks of practice for us. He won't even put a sticker on his shirt because he can hear the crinkling. Every shirt, pants, sock, shoe has been carefully selected so that he can get through his day without drama. This throws me for an unexpected loop.

Yes, it's for safety and we'll make sure it happens. But it is still an issue that we have to deal with.

Sorry, didn't think of that when I posted...just got caught up in the moment of typing.:o I do realize that what seems so simple for my children, may not be so simple for another child and I just wasn't thinking of something like that and I do apologize. Good luck w/your son.

What is it that you detest about them for your kids? They aren't for you, they are for the kids safety, you shouldn't pass your fears down to your children.

Because they get dirty. Because they are irritating. Like I said, I would be fine with it if they could just have it on while in the clubs. But I DON'T like the idea of them wearing one continuous bracelet the whole week. We have these at the Y nursery. My 3yo doesn't like them on his wrist (for an hour). We stick it on the back of his shirt. I'm not sure if he'll wear it.

Because they get dirty. Because they are irritating. Like I said, I would be fine with it if they could just have it on while in the clubs. But I DON'T like the idea of them wearing one continuous bracelet the whole week. We have these at the Y nursery. My 3yo doesn't like them on his wrist (for an hour). We stick it on the back of his shirt. I'm not sure if he'll wear it.

Is it possible to get extras of them? At least that way they would be clean.

Is it possible to get extras of them? At least that way they would be clean.
I'm not sure if they are paper or plastic. If they are paper then I'm sure you can get plenty extra. If they are plastic then they probably clean up easily enough.

I don't even wear rings or bracelets because I'm always washing my hands and get soap caught underneath which is something I'll be doing more of on the ship. Something to consider about these bracelets.

The only problem with trying to come up with something at home to try on my son is what to use that he won't be able to undo.

As far a saving them for a souvenir my son is way to young to care. He doesn't talk yet.

I'm not sure if they are paper or plastic. If they are paper then I'm sure you can get plenty extra. If they are plastic then they probably clean up easily enough.

I don't even wear rings or bracelets because I'm always washing my hands and get soap caught underneath which is something I'll be doing more of on the ship. Something to consider about these bracelets.

The only problem with trying to come up with something at home to try on my son is what to use that he won't be able to undo.

As far a saving them for a souvenir my son is way to young to care. He doesn't talk yet.

They are plastic on Carnival. Water doesn't affect them. You can get a replacement band at Camp Carnival with the correct muster station listed on it.

I had no idea about these!! Great, my son is probably not going to be pleased. He had to wear one in WDW last week for the Halloween party and didn't enjoy it. He's under three so won't be at the kids camp or ever separated from a member of our group. Does RCCL use them?

Archived