Buying Alcohol in Ports

wernew2cruising

I believe that the policy is generally the same for all cruise lines. If you bring it on board it will be held until the last night. However, it is the enforcement of the policy that can vary.

We've had liquor held, not held and once they refused to hold it.:eek: It was a gift to take back and we had a small cabin. Didn't really want it in the cabin and was told there was no one to take it.

And then ther was the time that they wanted to hold a bottle of vanilla we had brought back to the ship:rolleyes:

There have also been times that they would point to the table where the held liquor was being processed. We went to the table, stood in line for a couple of minutes and then walked away to the cabin.

Charlie

We have never had liquor held when reboarding a Princess ship. We have seen others have their's taken away, but they have never taken ours. Now, admittedly, we don't buy huge quantiites and only once in awhile have them box it up for us because of multiple bottles. But not once have they ever taken it and held it until the last night. I often wonder if this is an age thing as we have seen many of the younger set have theirs held, when we were right behind them and ours wasn't????????

I often wonder if this is an age thing as we have seen many of the younger set have theirs held, when we were right behind them and ours wasn't????????

I was actually wondering this. On Disney though, there was nowhere and noone to take it from us. We were surprised. Not that it mattered really. It was for DH and he was at home! On RCI, everyone who had bottles had to give it up. But then again, RCI seemed to be having their fair share of the problems with liquor and excessive drinkers! I was curious what Princess did since we will be sailing with them in a few days.

Officially, Princess will not let you carry liquor onto the ship and take it to your cabin. They will hold it and return it the last night of the cruise.

In practice, I have never seen them take anyone's booze, unless they were carrying it it the open.

Earlier this year when we were on the Sea Princess, I brought a bottle of rum and one of rum coconut punch back from an excursion in one of those cardboard carriers meant for 2 booze bottles, and nothing was said. I carried it openly right through security on the ship.

I find if you bring on one of the liquor boxes security asks you to turn it in at the desk as you board but rarely asks for individual bottles from your carry on. I don't think they want to take a chance that it will break while they are holding it.

Just returned from the Crown Princess and I didn't see them confiscate any on shore purchases from anyone. They did have a table set up on the gangway for I but never saw any containers. However when we boarded in San Juan there were several duty free shops as you enter the boarding area. The security guards watched as most passengers just put it into their carry on bags and walked passed them.

Archived