All things Serenade of the Seas...

Mrs.G

We just got back from a 15 night cruise on the Serenade of the Seas to Hawaii. While we LOVED the islands, we were VERY unimpressed with the Serenade. Basically we felt we were being held hostage for our wallets. No matter where you went, or wanted to do they were trying to get you to buy something! From a soda package, internet usage that didn't work 85% of the time, souvenier glasses, fake gold by the inch, tshirts, etc. someone always had their hand out.

Hopefully your experience will be better!

:cool: I have read six reviews on the Hawaii Seranade. Apparently you and your husband, cruisenomorerc, posted the two scalding reviews. Let's see--your credit card was turned down, not once, but four times. Yes, that must have been RCCL's fault. Other four reviews gave totally different views of this cruise. You and hubby must have had a real ax to grind, and I hope you got it out of your system. Hope other cruisers read all other reviews, and take your with a grain of salt. I am leaving on Seranade next Friday, and will evaluate the cruise on my own. I have never read reviews as tainted as yours, when compared to others. In addition, I went back to the boards, reading post-cruise comments of others on that sailing, most of which had great time. A couple who referenced your reviews, and wondered in you were on the same ship as they were:cool: GO BACK TO DISNEY. Good bye:cool:

For some inexplicable reason RCI is scheduling Meet 'n Mingles in the middle of the day (on a port day) for Southern Caribbean route out of San Juan. We have a great group but no one wants to not go into port or miss their excursion!

Any suggestions for a great place for a group to meet on board in the early evening?

We are so excited to finally be on a Radiance class ship!

For some inexplicable reason RCI is scheduling Meet 'n Mingles in the middle of the day (on a port day) for Southern Caribbean route out of San Juan. We have a great group but no one wants to not go into port or miss their excursion!

Any suggestions for a great place for a group to meet on board in the early evening?

We are so excited to finally be on a Radiance class ship!

:cool: sailing on seranade on nov 10th. Have not enough sign up for m&m. Meeting at Sky Bar at 5:00 on arrival day. Fun in sun for those who make it, and early enough for us to meet during cruise week. If RCCL is dumb enough to schedule m&m mid-day on port day, have your own and cancel theirs. Thanks but no thanks, if you get my drift.:cool:

Hubby bought a bottle of wine one night. It's a $9 bottle at home....we were charged $38 dollars for it! That's just insane!

I just don't understand why so many people compare the price of a bottle of wine on a cruise ship with it's price in the supermarket!:confused: Surely the price comparison should be made against the price you would pay in a nice restaurant!

: Are laundry services provided?

A: Self-service laundry facilities are not provided onboard our ships, but we do offer full laundry and dry cleaning services. We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard.

SHIPBOARD LAUNDRY SERVICE

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMEN

Shirt/T-Shirt: $2.50 Blouse: $3.50

Shirt (dress): $3.00 Dress (wash): $5.00

Underwear: $1.20 Skirt: $3.50

Jeans: $3.00 Nightgown: $3.00

Pajamas: $4.00 Swimsuit: $2.00

Handkerchif: $0.75 Slip: $2.50

Shorts: $2.50 Housecoat: $3.50

Bathrobe: $3.50 Hosiery: $3.50

Pants (wash): $3.50 Slacks: $3.50

Sweatshirt: $3.00

Socks: $1.00

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES * All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMAN

Suit: $7.00 Evening Gown: $8.00

Pants: $4.25 Dress $7.00

Jacket: $4.50 Silk Blouse: $5:00

Sweater: $4.00 Silk Dress: $8.00

Coat: $7.00 Skirt $4.50

Tie: $2.00 Suit: $7.50

Shirt: $3.50 Blouse: $4.00

Shorts: $3.00 Scarf: $2.50

Vest $2.50

Silk Pajamas: $4.50

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices.

Thanks for this list. I knew there was one floating around somewhere. (I guess "inexpensive" is relative. I believe I'll be doing my own laundry rather than paying $1 to have a pair of socks washed and 75 cents for a handkerchief.) The only way we can cruise is to pinch pennies.

The same thing happened to us on one of our cruises. Most of us that signed up for the meet & mingle sent an email to RCI asking them to change it (to a date/time that we all agreed on). Lucky for us RCI did just that....we were pleasantly surprised and everyone showed up. Maybe you could try it....and do it right away....I see you are sailing fairly soon. Good Luck!

The same thing happened to us on one of our cruises. Most of us that signed up for the meet & mingle sent an email to RCI asking them to change it (to a date/time that we all agreed on). Lucky for us RCI did just that....we were pleasantly surprised and everyone showed up. Maybe you could try it....and do it right away....I see you are sailing fairly soon. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice. Do you recall what department/who you e-mailed?

Thanks again!

We sailed on the Jewel last Dec., and are booked on the Serenade Mar 09. My favorite place on the Jewel was the outdoor dining area, behind the Windjammer on the aft. I was there every morning and lunch. I would sit there for an hour or two in the morning with my coffee. Very few people were out there. Hope you find it and enjoy it. Judy

That's good to know. In the past we just created an unofficial "meet and mingle" for a group if the majority were not happy with the time. For ours the first week of December, it is during the afternoon on the day we are in St. Thomas. Most will be on shore shopping or doing an excursion.

BRL

We sailed on the Jewel last Dec., and are booked on the Serenade Mar 09. My favorite place on the Jewel was the outdoor dining area, behind the Windjammer on the aft. I was there every morning and lunch. I would sit there for an hour or two in the morning with my coffee. Very few people were out there. Hope you find it and enjoy it. Judy

You booked so far in advance. I wish I could plan so far ahead.

:cool: I have read six reviews on the Hawaii Seranade. Apparently you and your husband, cruisenomorerc, posted the two scalding reviews. Let's see--your credit card was turned down, not once, but four times. Yes, that must have been RCCL's fault. Other four reviews gave totally different views of this cruise. You and hubby must have had a real ax to grind, and I hope you got it out of your system. Hope other cruisers read all other reviews, and take your with a grain of salt. I am leaving on Seranade next Friday, and will evaluate the cruise on my own. I have never read reviews as tainted as yours, when compared to others. In addition, I went back to the boards, reading post-cruise comments of others on that sailing, most of which had great time. A couple who referenced your reviews, and wondered in you were on the same ship as they were:cool: GO BACK TO DISNEY. Good bye:cool:

After reading this post I had to go back & read the reviews. I'm booked on the Serenade for July. I actually found the husbands pretty funny when he kept saying "Did I mention how hard the beds were?" or something to that effect. If they were like the RCI ship I went on, he was right. I can also understand the frustration with the credit card. If the purser was calling them up, get approval for X amt. of dollars for the week & be done with it.

Other things, however, such as the extra costs are things to be expected on almost all ships. You get a wine list with dinner or ask for one. If you don't want to pay the price, don't buy a bottle. No one "holds my wallet hostage." At least not mine! If I don't know how much something will cost, I ask & decide if I want it. Frankly, I spend very little extras on the cruises I've been on (approx 20 - various lines). What I don't understand is why people get annoyed or insulted over such posts. When I look for reviews of a ship I look to see overall how it is rated, read maybe 2 good ones & then look for the low ratings. Sometimes people have valid points.

ill be on the serenade in january..looking forward to read any tips or anything a bout the serenade!

:cool: Leaving on first cruise of the winter season in 3 days. When I return I'll give everyone an update on the SOS. :cool: Extra day in San Juan and looking forward to every minute.:cool:

I love the Serenade! She is such a beautiful ship. I can’t wait to go back next April :) I am also looking forward to all the reviews from this winter/spring.

Our M&M in April ’06 was also scheduled for a mid-day and we asked to be changed to a night M&M.

Our Roll Call group meet at the Sky Bar for drinks on arrival day.

My favorite place is the Sea View Café! They have great food & shakes; we would hit the café after port for a late lunch before our late dinner;)

Archived