RMS Queen Mary 40yrs ago today

I'm so glad the QM still exists! I visit her at least a couple times a year. We usually stay on board for about 4-5 days, feels almost like a crossing that way! :)

They've been doing so many good things there -- the Observation Bar looks really nice, all red again! There were some new deck chairs on deck, too. Sir Winston's is the best place to eat, and Tom is the best waiter!!!

I just wish there was more food variety in the other restaurants, especially more vegetarian food. After about the 3rd day, I start thinking maybe we should get off the ship, or order out for pizza!

Last time we were there, the band Jonas Brothers were filming a music video for their song, "S.O.S.", on board -- that was fun to watch. It was also while we were there that trip that I got the email from Cunard about QE2 being retired.

I hope the new lease turns out well for the ship, and I hope they don't over-develop the surrounding land. I'd hate to see the ole' ship stuck in the middle of a Disneyland/Universal type atmosphere.

Steve L.

QM2 -- Maiden T/A -- April '04

QE2 -- Eastbound T/A -- August '00

Queen Mary, Long Beach -- week-long stay twice a year

Countless Royal Caribbean cruises

Upcoming:

QE2 -- Eastbound T/A -- April '08

QE2 -- Final T/A -- October '08

It was October 31, 1967 that Mary departed her home of Southampton for the the very last time to make her "Last Great Voyage" arriving in Long Beach on Dec. 9th.

With apologies to you know who (Sgt Pepper???)

It was forty years ago today

When the QM last got underway

When she drew apart from the quay

As the band began to play

But let me introduce to you

The one and only QM2...............

And Queen Vicky's soon for this land - ah - ah - and.

Ok, best I could do...............

I'm so glad the QM still exists! I visit her at least a couple times a year. We usually stay on board for about 4-5 days, feels almost like a crossing that way! :)

They've been doing so many good things there -- the Observation Bar looks really nice, all red again! There were some new deck chairs on deck, too. Sir Winston's is the best place to eat, and Tom is the best waiter!!!

I just wish there was more food variety in the other restaurants, especially more vegetarian food. After about the 3rd day, I start thinking maybe we should get off the ship, or order out for pizza!

Last time we were there, the band Jonas Brothers were filming a music video for their song, "S.O.S.", on board -- that was fun to watch. It was also while we were there that trip that I got the email from Cunard about QE2 being retired.

I hope the new lease turns out well for the ship, and I hope they don't over-develop the surrounding land. I'd hate to see the ole' ship stuck in the middle of a Disneyland/Universal type atmosphere.

Steve L.

Upcoming:

Steve,

Sir Winston's was an awesome restaurant to work at, what a view! and the food is so good :p Do you belong to the RMS Foundation? We were last there in March and they hadn't started putting the Observation Lounge back to it's original decor yet, I can't wait to see it! They put the sofa seating back too, right? The First Class Lounge is one of my favorite rooms aboard Mary. Yep, lets hope the new lease holders do more for her up-keep.

With apologies to you know who (Sgt Pepper???)

It was forty years ago today

When the QM last got underway

When she drew apart from the quay

As the band began to play

But let me introduce to you

The one and only QM2...............

And Queen Vicky's soon for this land - ah - ah - and.

Ok, best I could do...............

Oh HS, as always a lovely limerick! I really do like it :p thank you!

Betsy

Thank goodness she was saved , she still looks wonderful on long beach, we had the chance to stay on her twice, once in an original cabin and once a refurbished cabin, both a wonderful experience.

At night time when every one has left and your almost alone on the promenade deck you feel a million miles away.

I wonder now what awaits the QE2 in Dubai- I think she will gutted

and made too modern.

rob

Betsy,

Wow, you worked at Sir Winston's?! How cool! When, for how long? Any stories?

I've been a RMS Foundation member for about 10 years now. I've 'adopted' some rivets, sponsored some Christmas tree ornaments, etc. But I've only ever gotten to a couple of events, mainly 'cause they always seem to happen when I'm not able to get down to Long Beach! I wonder what will become of the Foundation after the changeover?

If you were there in March and they hadn't started work on the Observation Bar, then they worked fast -- I was there in mid-June, and it was done! Below is a photo I took. No sofas, though. I hadn't heard that they were going to go to that extent.

I hope the new lease-holders take good care of her. Maybe I'm just being paranoid (I usually am!), I just know that the land involved in the deal is VERY valuable, and the new lease-holders, Save The Queen, are a group of land developers. So I hope it's not just about the land, that they've really got an eye on refurbishing our Mary.

Is it just my skepticism, or does this new group's name, Save The Queen, sound just a little too good to be true? It almost reminds me of the "To Serve Man" episode of Twilight Zone! Okay, I'm really being paranoid now.... :)

Steve L.

Upcoming:

observ.jpg.2ac829210613a559efd1389d5d489d07.jpg

Betsy,

Wow, you worked at Sir Winston's?! How cool! When, for how long? Any stories?

I've been a RMS Foundation member for about 10 years now. I've 'adopted' some rivets, sponsored some Christmas tree ornaments, etc. But I've only ever gotten to a couple of events, mainly 'cause they always seem to happen when I'm not able to get down to Long Beach! I wonder what will become of the Foundation after the changeover?

If you were there in March and they hadn't started work on the Observation Bar, then they worked fast -- I was there in mid-June, and it was done! Below is a photo I took. No sofas, though. I hadn't heard that they were going to go to that extent.

I hope the new lease-holders take good care of her. Maybe I'm just being paranoid (I usually am!), I just know that the land involved in the deal is VERY valuable, and the new lease-holders, Save The Queen, are a group of land developers. So I hope it's not just about the land, that they've really got an eye on refurbishing our Mary.

Is it just my skepticism, or does this new group's name, Save The Queen, sound just a little too good to be true? It almost reminds me of the "To Serve Man" episode of Twilight Zone! Okay, I'm really being paranoid now.... :)

Steve L.

Upcoming:

Hi Steve,

I worked at Sir Winston's in the mid 80's. I looked forward to going to work every day just so I could be aboard her.

I belong to the Foundation also. We try to attend at least one of their gatherings every year. I Wish I could be more active with the Foundation but it's hard being so far away. I was hoping they would have something on Dec. 8th or 9th for the 40th anniversary of her arrival to CA. but haven't heard of anything. Bruce from the Foundation did mention to me that they are planning on something in Jan. when the QV is there. Maybe another meeting of two Queens. Vicky can see what a really ocean liner looks like :rolleyes: :p

I am also a little skeptical about the new lease holders, hopefully they will prove us wrong.

Thanks for photo! It looks beautiful! Can't wait to see it for myself.

Where in NorCal do you live? We're up passed Sac.

Betsy

Kyle, yep, that's the video. It was fun to watch the filming. They had a couple units going at the same time, and they used the 1st Class Smoking Room as their all-around green room, change room, craft services, etc. They had the Sports Deck set dressed all day -- the SOS light-up signs behind the forward funnel and the band's gear, I especially liked the extra prop vent, I thought that was pretty funny. They went late into the night up there, but playback was quiet, the extras were just miming cheering, so I barely noticed them up there, as I made my nightly stroll around the Sun Deck.

I was surprised at the small but vocal number of day visitors who complained about the production getting in the way of their enjoyment of the ship. I saw nothing of the kind -- the cast and crew were very nice and careful not to get in the way while still doing their job, no parts of the ship (other than the Smoking Room) were closed off, we were walking through their set-ups all day (trying not to, of course, but you had to sometimes to get from one area to another, and certainly not while the cameras were actually rolling), but they were nothing but kind. People like to complain I guess, huh?

I'd never seen the Fiona Apple video before, that was cool.

Betsy, I'm about an hour and a half away from you, over west in wine country. Small world, huh?!

Steve L.

Upcoming:

This has made me so excited. We are going on a Hawaii cruise in a few weeks and just tonight we booked a first class stateroom abourd the Queen Mary in Long Beach for a night....

I am so looking forward to this stay. I was suprised how reasonable the rates are.

Cool :)

Make sure that you get a harbor-view (starboard) cabin. Insist on an original-condition cabin, NOT a reconditioned one. And, if they are not booked full, ask the desk for the keys to a few different cabins, go take a look, and then tell the desk your choice. The cabins can be vastly different from each other.

Open your porthole(s) and stick your head out. Imagine the wind and spray of the North Atlantic.

See the First Class Dining Room, First Class Lounge, First Class Smoking Room, and the Verandah Grill, and if you can, the Second Class (aft) and Third Class (forward) lounges. The comparison is striking.

Don't let ropes or closed doors keep you out, especially after-hours. If an event is being set up that will have the room closed later, go on in for a good look while you can. The catering staff won't say anything.

Drinks in the Observation Lounge is a must-do. Walk out onto the forecastle, visit the bridge and wheelhouse, and through the aft engine room.

Stroll the Promenade Deck, the Boat Deck, and the passenger corridors at night, and let your imagination take you away to 1936. :)

This has made me so excited. We are going on a Hawaii cruise in a few weeks and just tonight we booked a first class stateroom abourd the Queen Mary in Long Beach for a night....

I am so looking forward to this stay. I was suprised how reasonable the rates are.

You will love her!

Kyle had great suggestions. The Observation Lounge is my favorite place to sip a champagne cocktail and yes imagine it's 1936, perfect ;) Yep, ask for a stateroom on the starboard side. Enjoy and please tell Mary hi for me.

Have a fabulous time in Hawai'i too!

Aloha 'oe

Betsy

Smoothdancer, what day of the week will you be on board? Weekends can get pretty busy, what with anything from weddings to parties to conventions to you name it. Weekdays are nice and quiet, and half the amount of people on board.

The rooms are not very soundproof. Ask them to give you a stateroom with no neighbors -- empty rooms on either side. Hopefully they won't be too booked. Or at worst, hopefully you have considerate neighbors! I've been pretty lucky with my neighbors in the past.

My favorite deck is M Deck, some really nice rooms on that one.

You may have to take the guided tour to get into some places like the 1st Class Pool, and the Verandah Grill. The 2nd Class Main Lounge is also locked sometimes. But like Kyle said, feel free to walk around, there's a lot to see on board, and half the fun is discovering it yourself!

If you do find yourself there on a Sunday morning, spend the bucks on the Champagne Sunday Brunch. It's usually packed, but it's a nice way to spend some time in the 1st Class Dining Room, and the food is plentiful!

The best food on the ship is at Sir Winston's. If you go, look for waiter Tom. He's a fellow ship buff, and I just found out he's a fellow CC'er!!

Take some time to go through "The Queen Mary Story" exhibit, located down at the aft section. Some nice QM history, and Cunard memorabilia.

Steve L.

Upcoming:

Archived