Bathrobes and Pay for Extras.

Pontius Navigator

In Dec 2005 in a balcony suite they did not provide bathrobes although we had the opportunity to buy them on day 11 of a 14 day cruise :(.

In our 2005 Belritz book it says that P&O provide bathrobes.

What is the situation now? We are espeially interested in Aurora aand Oceana.

Similarly Berlitz said that you now had to pay for ice creams? ice creams were certainly free on Celebrity in August and Cunard the year before. Can't remember on P&O however. Do they charge?

Ditto shore shuttle buses. Are these free or charged? Certainly on one Caribbean Island they were not provided but hred direct off the wharf. On another we negotiated our own tour rates.

We were provided with bathrobes on the Oriana in March. We had a stateroom. I did check with the cabin steward they were free before using them as we had had ones left in our cabin on previous cruises -with the price on! They were so nice and fluffy!

As for ice cream, it is only free at meal times.

We had to pay for a shuttle bus on one of our P&O cruises but only the once. I can't remember where that was at but I do remember it didn't cost much.

Caryl

Thanks Caryl, we will of course check (bathrobes) just before we go as these things do change.

As for shuttle charging, on Celebrity this verged from outrageous to extortionate. In one case it was 'cheap' at $10 each but the drop off point was further from the ship than the ship was from the town!!!!!!!

Thanks Caryl, we will of course check (bathrobes) just before we go as these things do change.

As for shuttle charging, on Celebrity this verged from outrageous to extortionate. In one case it was 'cheap' at $10 each but the drop off point was further from the ship than the ship was from the town!!!!!!!

Hi PN,

In our 9 P&O cruises we have never been charged for a shuttle bus.

Bathrobes are only in Suites and mini-suites and this has been the case since we started in 2001.

P&O do not do free Ice cream

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Hi PN,

In our 9 P&O cruises we have never been charged for a shuttle bus.

Bathrobes are only in Suites and mini-suites and this has been the case since we started in 2001.

P&O do not do free Ice cream

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

On Oriana last month there were no bathrobes, but I think there was one shuttle bus that was free. Many of the port authorities put on free shuttles, even in Barbados where there was only a short walk to the terminal.

And there WAS free ice cream!!

David

"Bathrobes are only in Suites and mini-suites and this has been the case since we started in 2001"

Well we certainly got them in our stateroom in March. Unless it was because we were on a 25 day leg of the world cruise, I don't understand it. It certainly states in the brochure that you just get them in suites and mini suites.

Maybe our cabin steward liked us!!!

There will certainly be no bathrobes for us on our 15th November cruise.

Caryl

Hi I think it is correct that you usually only get the robes if you are in suites or mini-suites but this year whilst on Arcadia we actually asked out Steward if it was possible to have a couple being in the aft with such a lovely big balcony so you could sit and have your coffee/orange juice first thing in the morning in comfort.

She was happy to oblige and it was one thing that earned her her tip as I may have previously posted before, she was not very good at all, in fact, the worst cabin steward we have ever had but there again, not being sexist and I am a woman myself, she is the only female steward we have ever had:confused:

Last year we were also in an aft cabin but never got the robes and didn't even think about asking for them. However, friends of ours have been on Arcadia 5 times now (they love her) and sometimes only book inside cabins but always ask for the robes (not sure why without a balcony????0 and always get them.

Also, I must add, we were not charged for them either so always worth asking for in my opinion.

Again, another strange thing regarding the ice cream question. last year (Oct 2006) the ice cream cabinet at the Neptune Bar was free - we actually did notice some very greedy people opening up the cabinet and taking 3 or 4 ice creams at a time:eek: so much so we commented that it reminded us of the yanks on the US cruiseships that we have been on.

However, towards the end of that cruise last year, suddenly charges were imposed and this year in August, you certainly had to pay for your ices.

So, not sure if the greedy ruined it for the others, or whether it was a mistake on one of the crew leaving the cabinet unlocked and some greedy guests taking advantage.

Just don't know on that one but they are certainly not free now.

On our last cruise this year to the Med the only shuttle that was being charged for was the one from the dock to the centre of town in Gibralter.

We walked - couldn't for the life of me understand why people would take the shuttle as you could walk it in less than 10 minutes. OK if you are disabled etc but some people are very lazy. We laughed at the queues that by the time they got on the buses we would already be in the town centre and so we were!!!!!! so the answer to your question is that all the shuttles into the port destinations were free for us on our Arcadia Med cruise this year.

Hope this helps.

With kind regards,

Barbarella

Again, another strange thing regarding the ice cream question. last year (Oct 2006) the ice cream cabinet at the Neptune Bar was free

Ah, a cabinet. I seem to remember a cabinet on Arcadia. On celebrity they had a proper service counter so you could pig as much as you wanted - marshmallows, nuts the lot. It was in the buffet area so part of the 'normal' pig and mix.

On the QE2 they had a softy ice cream dispenser.

As for other 'pay' items, our room steward on the Arcadia simply removed the bottled water after the frist day without being asked and left a water jug instead.

On Oriana last month there were no bathrobes, but I think there was one shuttle bus that was free. Many of the port authorities put on free shuttles, even in Barbados where there was only a short walk to the terminal.

And there WAS free ice cream!!

David

Perhaps I was not in the right place at the right time for the free ice creams:eek:. However I agree with PN you should do without them.:D

The shuttle in Gib is run by the local taxis and not P&O. However it does say in the brochure that there will be a small charge for shuttles. It has done for 8 years to my knowledge, but there never has been a charge. Now try the other lines especially American ones:eek:

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

Hi Guys,

Bathrobes: I think this is part of the 'Elevation' programme to upgrade the cruise experience with P&O:rolleyes: Although bathrobes haven't usually been provided in the 'cheap seats', I think that as ships undergo 'Elevation' they will be provided in all cabins.

Free Ice Creams: I seem to remember that P&O used to do an Ice Cream round on deck mid-morning - but they were little blocks of vanilla ice cream, like we used to put between 2 wafers all those years ago :D Didn't notice any free ice cream on Arcadia last year or Aurora this year. There was certainly a chiller beside the outdoor bar on Aurora - but it had a very prominently displayed Price List beside it :( I remember the free Ice Cream on Celebrity - it was next to the free, healthier, frozen yougurt - which of course I always took instead of the Ice Cream :D

Shuttle Buses: I think that P&O rely on the port being visited - so if they provide one free, you get it free. If not, P&O - or the port authority charge. We were certainly charged at a couple of ports in the Baltics last year.

Andrew

Britboys, Celebrity charged in every port. They also demanded a King's ramsom for the tours.

The best had to be in Copenhagen. For $74 each you embarked on the bus and drove 300 yards to the Little Mermaid. Alternatively you could walk 200 yards.:D

Then they drove to the Palace with the treasury and jewel house. Alternatively a pleasant walk through through the 16th Century district and about $4 entrance (for 2) followed by time for a leisurely lunch and coffee, a stroll through the botanical gardens (free) the Ny Havn (free) and back to the ship. For $74 (each) you missed the walk and half the city.

Rip off? You bet.

Cunard, Bilbao or La Rochelle, free 30 minute bus ride to town. I wonder if the cruise companies are aware of the consumer satisfaction at good service included rather than the feeling of being ripped off?

I know we pay at the back or the front and if it is included in the price those passengers who chose not to use it subsidise the rest but 'what the eye does not see' and all that.

Britboys, Celebrity charged in every port. They also demanded a King's ramsom for the tours.

The best had to be in Copenhagen. For $74 each you embarked on the bus and drove 300 yards to the Little Mermaid. Alternatively you could walk 200 yards.:D

Then they drove to the Palace with the treasury and jewel house. Alternatively a pleasant walk through through the 16th Century district and about $4 entrance (for 2) followed by time for a leisurely lunch and coffee, a stroll through the botanical gardens (free) the Ny Havn (free) and back to the ship. For $74 (each) you missed the walk and half the city.

Rip off? You bet.

Cunard, Bilbao or La Rochelle, free 30 minute bus ride to town. I wonder if the cruise companies are aware of the consumer satisfaction at good service included rather than the feeling of being ripped off?

I know we pay at the back or the front and if it is included in the price those passengers who chose not to use it subsidise the rest but 'what the eye does not see' and all that.

Archived