Questions concerning elderly parent

wolfdreams40

Hi my parents always dream of going to Alaska, and next year we are taking them on a cruise. My worry is that my father who will be 70 and has emphysema (sp) will not be able to enjoy himself, I know he will have alot of restrictions. But, I was thinking about the White Yukon Railway in Skagway, does anyone know if that is something he could do with tiring him too much? Also, will he be able to see alot from the ship? Thanks

Eileen

Yes the White Pass RR is an excellent excursion. Book through the ship then the entry to the train is at the ship dock. Some Seattle sailings have less scenery compared to round trip Vancouver trips. There will be scenery but not close most of the time except when heading into ports and sailing inside Vancouver Island. Choose a ship with good public viewing areas- Even with a balcony cabin, I wouldn't think he would want to spend most of the time in the room???

There are options in other ports as well for someone with restrictions such as the salmon bake in Juneau and some of the "guided tours" in Juneau and Ketchikan that visit Saxman Village in Ketchikan and take you out to the Mendenhall Glacier and other sites in Juneau.

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time![/B] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle
One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea..</font>

We are travelling with my mother in law to Alaska this month. She has serious trouble walking any significant distances so we ordered a wheelchair for her off ebay. New and reasonably priced - I think it is going to offer her so much more freedom to be able to see and do more than she would ever attempt without it. If your father would be willing to use one (if he isnt already) - several tours are accessible to wheelchair users. Best of luck to you all - I am sure it will be a wonderful vacation!

Tracy

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;26;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
DIAMOND ALASKA

Many of the tour vehicles used by cruise lines and some by private tour operators have room for wheelchair storage also. That's a great suggestion TracyQ.... It would make for more mobility. Juneau has some pretty good hills but Ketchikan and Skagway would be easily navigable for the most part

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time![/B] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle
One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea..</font>

As a point of reference - this is the distance from the ship to the train from where our ship docked:

[img]http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/.cv/tlassek/Sites/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-06-11%2019.43.05%20-0700/Image-64EADA3DBC1911D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg[/img]

Archived