Balcony a Must?

Outofhere

we booked one, although we probably won't use it that much. Just prefer having a balcony so we can step out in our private space if needed. But I don't think it is needed since DH and I would be walking on the deck during the scenic cruising any way.

I've heard that if you ever have a balcony room it should be on an Alaskan cruise. We're planning a trip for next summer and trying to decide whether or not to go for the extra money.

i had an inside cabin. i was only in there to sleep and get ready for dinner. most of the time i was on the library's balcony (very few people knew about it) or in the viking lounge.

We've done three AK cruises -- first w/o a balconey, remainder with. Would not travel AK without (but hey, I'm a fifth generation Wisconsinite who doesn't wear a winter coat unless it is under 35 degrees F):D

We LOVED our balcony, and used it LOTS! I think if I had a choice between one of the great excursions in AK or a balcony, I'd just have to wait another year before going. Go for it if you possibly can!

We didn't feel the need for one for our first Alaska cruise last June on the Coral Princess. I booked the least expensive inside cabin again for our HAL Veendam cruise in July 2008. If I had a balcony, I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but having never cruised with a balcony - I don't know what I'm missing.

I would not go without a balcony. You can lay in bed and watch the beautiful Alaska landscape in the inside passage. It does make a difference - I cannot stress this enough. You can watch the glaciers from your room while you're getting ready for dinner. You can look out in the middle of night in your PJ's. Please treat yourself to this in Alaska!

I could never do an inside - too claustrophobic. I know there's a big difference in the price but I really would like a balcony. It's been a dream vacation of mine for a long time so I want to do it right.

You've answered your own question! Since it's important to you, then you should get the balcony.

I'm going on 2 cruises in 2008 in balcony cabins. The first one is to appease my mom, who'd damn well better spend a LOT of time on that balcony! :D The second is a free upgrade. I just hope I don't get spoiled by having one.

I could never do an inside - too claustrophobic. I know there's a big difference in the price but I really would like a balcony. It's been a dream vacation of mine for a long time so I want to do it right.

Same here on being somewhat claustrophobic. People who don't experience the problem really can't relate, so I rarely bring it up, but since you said it first ... my first cruise is the one we're taking next year to Alaska for our honeymoon. The floor-to-ceiling glass door to avoid the claustrophobia is really the biggest reason we decided to spend the extra to get a V* cabin for our trip to Alaska - the balcony on the other side of the door is just a bonus.

From what others have said, I'm thinking that we'll enjoy having the balcony for the cruise - so it works out in our favor! :)

It's really a question of budget, and to a lesser extent, travel style, in my view. If you can book a balcony room and still have budget for excursions in every port, then why not enjoy it, I suppose. But I'm in the camp that holds that a cruise to Alaska without excursions is almost a waste.

We got a good deal on a room with a window, and did terrific excursions. Even if I were given a balcony without having to pay for it, I wouldn't really use it all that much because I prefer scenic viewing from the bow where I can easily look to either side of the ship.

You will love Alaska, though, however you travel there.

I would recommend a Balcony because of the scenery on Alaska cruises, not just while in Alaska but going and coming on Sea days. Numerous whale spotings (humpback and orcas). Leave on the channel in your room that you can hear Captains announcements. A Balcony cabin is a must on alaska cruises- there is always something to see.

We've sailed inside, outside, and balcony in Alaska. Of course the balcony is nice.... we had it on our first cruise, but decided we didn't use it enough to warrant the cost again.

It really depends on your travel style. Will you be in the room a lot to make use of your balcony, or do you prefer to be out and up front getting a wide view of scenery? We found we prefer the front view rather than side view... You'll have to decide what's best for you.

I found I prefer quantity Alaska sailing. We can sail twice inside for what one sailing with a balcony costs.:)

We sailed Alaska in a balcony in 2005 and next year we are doing so again. When we got to Glacier Bay, we were able to just go out on the balcony rather than being up on deck squashed with all the others who had no balcony.

It is so nice to be able to sit outside in privacy. I can't imagine going to Alaska without a balcony. If I couldn't afford it this time, I'd save a little longer so we could do the balcony and shore excursions we wanted to do.

Enjoy!

I would not go without a balcony. You can lay in bed and watch the beautiful Alaska landscape in the inside passage. It does make a difference - I cannot stress this enough. You can watch the glaciers from your room while you're getting ready for dinner. You can look out in the middle of night in your PJ's. Please treat yourself to this in Alaska!
You hit the nail on the head! Some of our favorite moments in Alaska were the early mornings and late evenings when we could sit quietly on our balcony (in our PJs) and just gaze at the scenery.

I'm sure I would have enjoyed my cruise without a balcony but having it was wonderful. I did spend a lot of time on deck in Glacier Bay but it was really nice the rest of the cruise and I spent a lot of time on it. Even in Glacier Bay I returned to my cabin in the late afternoon and enjoyed just sitting on my balcony.

It really is a matter of personal choice and the OP stated their personal choice.

On previous trips to Alaska, we had balconies and really liked them.:) Last year in Norway, we had an inside (and on other cruises). For northern itineraries in mid-summer, one advantage to the inside is having total darkness at a time when the Midnight Sun is out. Please keep in mind that we are fortunate and have no issues with claustrophobia, etc. In fact, we found that we didn't use our balcony all that much -- our cabin is a place to sleep, shower, change clothes, etc. We enjoy meeting and interracting with other passengers out on the decks and in other locations during our cruise.

For our upcoming May cruise, we chose to go with an oceanview (obstructed view) based on our preferences.

For Outofhere: You wrote that this is a dream trip for you and an inside would be too claustrophobic. Go with your dream. Alaska is truly amazing.

Archived