NCL ... Choose someone else

CoolgramNewYork

We were on a shore excursion from the Pride of Hawaii. I had a serious accident that landed me in the hospital, and ultimately prevented us from returning to the ship on time. They had no way to contact them from the shore to the ship to tell them we were in trouble. When my husband went back to the ship to gather some clothes, etc. they only wanted him to get off quickly so they could pull up the gangplank and get underway. No one was concerned about our well being. No one called to inquire what our plans were regarding coming back or not. This was no "Love Boat." When we did catch up the next day at the next port they were not even expecting or happy to see us. They did not give any courtesy (a wheelchair) so I would at least have somewhat of an enjoyable remaining trip, confined as I was. I expected some human concern and empathy. There was none. When we returned home and wrote NCL about their lack of concern, they were just as unconcerned. Their attitude showed

that they really couldn't care less. They say they do, but it is only empty public relations talk. BEWARE, a trip isn't always the food, shows and accomodations. It is the unexpected where a real good cruise line will show its true colors.

Thats really too bad, I'm sorry that happened to you.

One year DH and I went to Cancun and I fell down a few steps and sprained my ankle. The resort provided a medic and crutches. And when the crutches were too much work, they provided a wheelchair.

I know what you mean about caring and service. We have been dedicated to Sun Palace in Cancun, Mexico.

Better trip next time,

MissPoovey

:rolleyes:

Did your NCL card (i.e. the one you use to open your door, charge stuff on the ship, etc.) not have the phone number of the ship printed right on it? We were on the Sun last month the and I was really impressed with this as it would make it very easy to call the ship if one was delayed on shore.

Did you ask for assistance, or did you just expect it? Was the ship loaded with +/- 2000 of you're close friends that were worried about you and didn't care if their vacation was interrupted?

I'm truly sorry that you had an unfortunate accident, I wouldn't wish that upon anybody, but I do not see that as any reason fo NCL to hold the ship, or wait on you hand and foot. I would not expect them to show me any differential treatment either.

And I bet that if you would have asked for a wheelchair, one would have been provided.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about you're mishap, and I hope you are doing better.

They had no way to contact them from the shore to the ship to tell them we were in trouble.

The Cruise Card "Embarkation Card" has the phone number directly to the ship printed on front. "Guest Emergency" phone number

Any Guest who fails to board the vessel one (1) hour prior to departure is at risk of being left at the port of embarkation or port of call. In such event, Carrier shall have the right without notice to depart without

the Guest and Guest shall be fully responsible to pay for or indemnify the Carrier for all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship at the next port or for his/her own return passage, including, but not limited to, government

fees or fines, visa fees, subsistence, lodging, air fare, launch fare, car hire or agency fees. In such event, Guest shall be entitled to no refund and shall be deemed to have breached this Guest Ticket Contract.

Further, in such event, the entire fare shall be deemed fully earned by Carrier and no portion thereof shall be recoverable by Guest.

https://www.ncl.com/csimages/75/492/Combined_Final_Land%20_Sea_TCs.pdf

The ships are on very tight schedules, they would never hold up the ship for one or two people. Right on your dailie it has a contact number for someone on shore who could contact the ship for you, also as everyone else said the number is on your room card.

I don;t want to mimimize your injury, I am sorry you got hurt and could not enjoy your vacation - BUT - if you didn;t contact the ship, why would expect them to know you were coming back on the day that you did.:confused:

Frpm my recollection if the ship doesn't depart on time then there are significant additional docking fees - I seem to recall a number in the range of $5,000 - of $10,000 for St. Marteen (overheard a conversation) if the ship that we were on was delayed in leaving. Outside of the possible additional charges to NCL, why would you want 2000 people be possibly inconvenienced / delayed. Unfortunately accidents happen and I would guess to at least a number of individuals on each cruise. On our last cruise someone got very ill and died a day out of port (and 4 days before we saw land again). The ship was not turned around but rather continued the cruise - imagine the poor widow of the person that died having to sail for 4 days, knowing that her husband was in a freezer!

This sounds like someone who should start spending their vacations at DisneyWorld.........

Disney World is not safe. My father and daughter were nearly ran over by a tram in the Epcot Parking Lot this past August. All I have asked for is a formal apology and copy of the incident report (and that they look into their tram operations). It took three letters before I got any response and that was basically a we're sorry and thank you for your letter.

I'm sorry you had that accident; one of my fears on a trip is an accident. It is difficult to be away from home and have to deal with an injury. I think it was lucky it happened in Hawaii instead of some other country, so you did not have to deal with a foreign language, different medical systems, and problems with insurance (assuming you are an American). I am not surprised at the the reaction of the cruise line. I read a post (or maybe it was an article) about the number of people who die on a cruise (from natural causes). It is not at all uncommon. So while you were dealing with with a broken leg or something like that, someone else on your cruise or the cruise before or after yours may have been dealing with a life-threatening illness or injury. What was traumatic for you was routine for the ship's crew.

Of course, it would have been nice if there was some concern expressed for your problems and perhaps the attitude of the crew was unique to that ship or the particular crew members you came across, but I suspect most mass market vacation provides--ships, hotels, theme parks--are just too busy and too regimented to provide much of a personal touch except in truly extraordinary circumstances. I would not hold your experience against NCL or even the Pride of Hawaii. I suspect it is a common for a lot of people on vacations--whether on land or sea.

But I appreciate your post since it provides a little more information to consider when making cruise plans. Even if it does not result in a change of plans, it gives me a little more information of what I can expect.

Nice to see that passengers have as much empathy and compassion as their favorite cruiseline. :rolleyes:

Noticed that did you? These are some tough cookies on this board. Sympathy is only a word in the dictionary' date=' and a lot of these guys would tell you exactly where to find it in said dictionary.

A lot of folks who post here are actually on their very first cruise. They don't know the ins and outs of cruising. Most are not as well versed as all these well cruised posters. On my first cruise the only thing I thought my sail and sign card was used for was a key to the room and a shipboard credit card. I NEVER looked at the tiny writing on it . . . . it had my name on it, so I was good to go. Over 20 cruises I have learned a lot . . . I know what is on the card, what my responsibilities, etc. are.

When we did catch up the next day at the next port they were not even expecting or happy to see us. They did not give any courtesy (a wheelchair) so I would at least have somewhat of an enjoyable remaining trip, confined as I was. I expected some human concern and empathy.

I would hope that for all the great things the posters on this board write about NCL . . . . . . concern and empathy . . . . . would be in the forefront. But apparently because somebody does not read the writing on the sail and sign card, they are not entitled to it by the line.

Just sort of sad.

• Administrators
We were on a shore excursion from the Pride of Hawaii. I had a serious accident that landed me in the hospital, and ultimately prevented us from returning to the ship on time. They had no way to contact them from the shore to the ship to tell them we were in trouble. When my husband went back to the ship to gather some clothes, etc. they only wanted him to get off quickly so they could pull up the gangplank and get underway. No one was concerned about our well being. No one called to inquire what our plans were regarding coming back or not. This was no "Love Boat." When we did catch up the next day at the next port they were not even expecting or happy to see us. They did not give any courtesy (a wheelchair) so I would at least have somewhat of an enjoyable remaining trip, confined as I was. I expected some human concern and empathy. There was none. When we returned home and wrote NCL about their lack of concern, they were just as unconcerned. Their attitude showed

that they really couldn't care less. They say they do, but it is only empty public relations talk. BEWARE, a trip isn't always the food, shows and accomodations. It is the unexpected where a real good cruise line will show its true colors.

I'm so sorry that you had such an unfortunate thing happen during your trip to Hawaii -- it's such an amazing place, so how much worse to have had such bad luck in paradise. :( I hope that maybe you can furnish a few more details as to what you asked NCL to give you that wasn't furnished. As it stands now, it's kind of hard to tell, since your initial post makes it sound like you weren't able to let anyone on the ship know what happened (other than maybe hubby with the crew at the gangplank?), and I can't tell if you were later able to contact NCL during the cruise and ask for a wheelchair or other accommodation on your return, etc.

Regarding contacting the line after you returned home, so much in that regard depends on the "tone" of your correspondence. If you begin it with "I'll never cruise your line again" the odds of receiving any reply at all, let alone one offering what you feel might be satisfactory compensation (? if you were seeking such?) are pretty slim.

I hope you are fully recovered from your injury now, and that future cruises on whatever line you choose are more to your liking.

On one of my earlier cruises, when the ship docked I noticed it was very quietly met by four ambulances. It then occurred to me that given the demographic, passenger deaths at sea must be far from unusual, and it was a sort of sobering demonstration to me that 'life goes on', since no mention of the deaths had been made over the PA etc.

The young couple who were left behind at Roatan were stunned that the entire ship did not wait for them because they did not set their watches properly and fell asleep on the beach. I agree that OP is fortunate that this did not occur in a third world port of call.

what a horrible experience and not the best way to enjoy a vacation. Did you check your sign and sail card? I think the number to call in case of emergancy is printed very clearly. It may have seen like they had no concern for your problems but they do work under a very strict time frame and to suddenly be made aware of your situation when it was time to depart must have been hard for them. when you wrote to them what did you expect from them? I am not sure I understand your reason for writing or what you wanted them to do about your situation?

Nita

I do hope you have recovered from your injuries.

Your experience is unfortunate, and maybe some here who are first time cruisers can learn from it. The ship's telephone number is on every sail card. In addition to that, I always carry a post-it in the back of my passport (which I carry with me when traveling regardless if I'm still in the states) with NCL's Miami numbers, my reservation number, latitudes number, my travel agent's number, the international calling numbers for each country I visit, and the Port Agent information (different in each port and posted in the "Freestyle Daily" for each port).

Since you were able to meet up with the ship at the next port, I assume somehow the Port Agent helped you and your husband. My question is why wasn't the shore excursion company able to contact the ship when the accident happened?

It is a shame you felt you were not taken care of or cared about. I do hope that if others find themselves in a similar situation they speak to the Hotel Director. There are accommodations for such circumstances, and should these not be taken care automatically, they definitely should be upon your request.

Best of luck to to you.

Pam

I think the OP's credibility is directly proportional to their number of posts here.

Honestly, they made is sound like the ship should wait for them, or at least cater to their needs while ashore.

The ship's services end at the gangway. Guess they did not realize that they are on their own in port!

I think the OP's credibility is directly proportional to their number of posts here.

Honestly, they made is sound like the ship should wait for them, or at least cater to their needs while ashore.

The ship's services end at the gangway. Guess they did not realize that they are on their own in port!

Could you explain what you mean by this?:confused:

I think that Salty Dingo is saying that they are leery of negative posts posted by people who are first time posters. A lot of times, they are trolls looking to start up trouble.

I"m leery of these posts as well, so when I read them, i do with a rather large grain of salt.

Guest Anorak33

I'm with you MonaCK on this one - new negative posters are almost without exception trolls, often a disgruntled member who has a grudge against the line and has reregistered here with a new name.

In any case I don't think any mass market cruise line will have time for individual attention of the type this person unreasonably expected.

Get a private yacht if you want that sort of care.

Even your $600 a day premium cruise lines arent going to provide the expected service IMHO, let alone NCL who are as cheap as chips.

I'm with you MonaCK on this one - new negative posters are almost without exception trolls, often a disgruntled member who has a grudge against the line and has reregistered here with a new name.

I've been mostly lurking for a couple of months, and have learned scads for all of your experience, but, geez, a lot of the vets here tend to be pretty harsh on the newbies. Rather than some grand conspiracy to create an alias just to blast a cruise line, it seems far likelier to me that these are people who are frustrated by their experience, and either feel the need to vent, or are honestly trying to help others learn from their experience.

Now, a lot of the complaints I've read show a lack of understanding of how cruising works, and the risks inherent in any cruise. But cruising IS very different than any other sort of vacation. If I book a flight to Grand Cayman, I expect that I'll get there, and if not, that I'll get my money back. That's simply not the case with cruising, where weather conditions, mechanical mishaps or medical emergencies could all interfere with making it to a particular port. But many first time cruisers don't have that understanding, and feel "robbed" if they miss a long-anticipated port.

There are also a lot of legit complaints about poor customer service... when servicing thousands of customers, the ball is going to get dropped occasionally. If your only experience with a cruise line is the one where they messed up, your response is going to be different than if you've had a dozen wonderful cruises and one had problems.

Instead of writing them off as trolls, it is really that hard to consider that the poster honestly feeling burned, and that rather than discounting their unhappiness you help them understand how they (or another newbie in the same situation) can prevent this in the future? The details about the number of the ship on the card was great info, that I know will help me, but was is really necessary to insult them for not knowing it?

Honest, if we newbies make it to the number of cruises you have, we'll get smarter... but we're unlikely to if we keep being told we're brainless whiners.

(And a big thank you to those who focus on the positive, and what they can do to help!)

I think that Salty Dingo is saying that they are leery of negative posts posted by people who are first time posters. A lot of times, they are trolls looking to start up trouble.

I"m leery of these posts as well, so when I read them, i do with a rather large grain of salt.

And a lot of 1st time posters are just that . . . . . . first time posters. Oh my, in fact, you were, Salty dingo was, I was, in fact everybody is/was.

You may be (and probably are) right, that some 1st time posters are trolls. I think most negative first time posters are not, but are simply stating an OPINION, that some do not agree with or like. And that is exactly what the OP was doing, writing of their "misfortune".

If the post is negative . . . . . the counter opinions start . . . . . and in a lot of cases are not nice. The poster feels attacked/threatened/whatever and never posts again. Everybody loses as a result. Including the supposed experts.

Ridiculous. In other words everybody who posts here has no credibility until their post count reaches a certain number. What would that be SaltyDingo. 5, 25, 50, 1,00 or 2,873?

I too sympathize with the OP on the injury. My family travels a lot both domestically and internationally and we've occasionally had injuries and illnesses happen, but thankfully they've been minor.

Call me overcautious, but planning for an emergency is an everyday practice for our family. My kids think I'm nuts, but each one (and the hubby) carries an emergency card in their wallet with all pertinent contact names, numbers, allergies and medical info. They never think anything is going to happen to them (until the 23 YO wiped out on his motorcycle a week after the 16 YO totaled his and two other cars). Cruises are no exception. I read the Daily cover to cover and they always include a Port agent's contact information in them. I believe there is even a note in there to take the Daily or port shopping guide/map with you so you have the information in case of emergency. If I don't see the info I need, I go and get it. My younger kids each have a note with them on shore excursions in case they were to get separated from me, or if I were injured the emergency personnel would know where they belonged. I would never feel comfortable leaving the ship without knowing how to contact it or the port agent.

I'm not sure I would have expected NCL do much more than they did. I think they should have assisted your husband with the luggage, and given instructions on how to contact them if you chose to reboard at a different port, and answered any questions. Before reboarding, I would have contacted the ship, explained the situation and asked if I could be accommodated with the use of a wheelchair for the remainder of the trip. Depending on the injury (or with certain illnesses), NCL may not have let you reboard if they weren't able to provide needed medical support.

It's always nice when a sevice provider goes above and beyond minimum, but it doesn't always happen. I've heard lots of good stories too about NCL and their treatment of sick or injured passengers. Sometimes it's just a matter of the "right" person hearing about your situation and deciding to do something special. The first step though is to make your needs known. It may take several tries before you get to the person who can help.

Even in a bad situation there are good things to be found. Maybe this thread will help some other cruisers (new and experienced) prepare for their trip. It will also bring out the Travel Insurance cheerleaders!

I understand what you're saying Garn, and I think there have been many fairly positive replies here. Everyone has expressed their concern over the OP's unfortunate incident and their safe recovery.

The reason people sometimes question a first negative post is that it can seem suspicious when someone who didn't bother to research and find cruisecritic before their cruise suddenly has the overwhelming urge to do so with the direct intention to complain.

I feel terrible for anyone who has their holiday interrupted like this. Nobody wants to have an accident at home, let alone when they're off trying to enjoy paradise!

Yes, the information regarding where to find the ship's number was helpful... but I can definitely see why people were surprised that the OP had so much trouble contacting the ship. Hawaii is a US state. Everyone there speaks English, especially anyone in an emergency health facility. Cell phones work there and there are payphones all over... if nobody thought to look at the ship's materials (which to me is the first thing I'd do - I had no idea the number was on the card, but I definitely would have found it quickly), there was plenty of access to call NCL's regular customer service department and get it. If there was time to physically return to the ship to pick up personal items before it left port, it seems strange that there wasn't time to make a couple of phone calls to find the contact number and use it.

Please take this as the 'devil's advocacy' that it is. I am not doubting anyone's validity, only pointing out why someone might wonder about it. While there really are customer service nightmares, there are also trolls who amuse themselves by instigating discussions like this one.

Assuming the OP is real and the situation occurred as described, then it was a really crappy experience! I agree with everything that's been said here regarding finding the number, calling ahead, and that the ship has a schedule to keep and all that... but at the same time, when something like this happens, it can be difficult to focus on everyone else. You're in pain, your holiday has been impacted, and let's face it - when we're miserable we like sympathy!!! Sadly that doesn't mean it will be forthcoming... and while it may seem hard to believe that someone wouldn't just 'know' that a wheelchair was needed, for instance, if one can step back and look at the situation objectively... how do they know that? It's hard to be objective when you're the one in pain though...

All in all, I think this thread does serve to alert people - not only first time cruisers but those who have never had a negative incident while on holiday - of what can happen. As I said, I was not aware that the number was on my card, so whether I believe I would have looked for it there or not, it's still nice to know ahead of time. It's also nice to be heading into future trips reminded that if I do have an issue, I have to remain responsible for myself and make requests if I feel they are needed or warranted and not just expect people to know what I want. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you ask directly for what you want, nobody can ever tell you they weren't aware of it!

Archived