Malaria - Panama Cruise

jay44

I shall be on the Coral Princess at the end of this month for the Panama Cruise.

On looking at vaccinations etc, it seems that Costa Rica (Limon) is the only place where malaria is rife. I do intend on going into the rainforest for a couple of excursions.

Have all of you who have done this cruise, or who are going to do this cruise taken malaria tablets?

Thank you.

Jay:D

We were just on the Island for the 19 day Panama cruise--I don't know the percentage but I know that everyone we spoke to from the UK were taking them.

I don't know why I didn't check as I normally would--but I didn't for that cruise--if I had I would have taken the tablets--we were also scheduled to go to the rain forest etc--we were going to cancel that excursion

We had a family emergency and returned home from Costa Rica--

My advice would be to take them--I would have felt more comfortable if we had--but since we left the ship--the tablet situation left too.

Nancy:D

I did call a friend of mine when I returned since she was leaving for 2 weeks in costa Rica and told her to get the tablets--she hadn't planned on taking them--I assume she got them to start taking before leaving.

I can't believe that I didn't take care of the Malaria tablets for us--usually I'm always checking all the CDC information--maybe it's because nothing was needed the first time we went.

We were just on the Island for the 19 day Panama cruise--I don't know the percentage but I know that everyone we spoke to from the UK were taking them.

I don't know why I didn't check as I normally would--but I didn't for that cruise--if I had I would have taken the tablets--we were also scheduled to go to the rain forest etc--we were going to cancel that excursion

We had a family emergency and returned home from Costa Rica--

My advice would be to take them--I would have felt more comfortable if we had--but since we left the ship--the tablet situation left too.

Nancy:D

I did call a friend of mine when I returned since she was leaving for 2 weeks in costa Rica and told her to get the tablets--she hadn't planned on taking them--I assume she got them to start taking before leaving.

I can't believe that I didn't take care of the Malaria tablets for us--usually I'm always checking all the CDC information--maybe it's because nothing was needed the first time we went.

I've been on this cruise twice before Dec06 and Feb07, and done rain forest excursions in Costa Rica and never once been worried. The CDC states the there is no risk for malaria in Puerto Limon, where the Coral docks. I also always where a mosquito repellent with Deet. I will be doing this cruise again in Nov07 and have no worries.

The other thing you must remember is if you do pursue guards against malaria you must get the proper one. There are a variety of medications taken to combat specific strains of malaria found in each country.

Take Care,

VB1

I shall be on the Coral Princess at the end of this month for the Panama Cruise.

On looking at vaccinations etc, it seems that Costa Rica (Limon) is the only place where malaria is rife. I do intend on going into the rainforest for a couple of excursions.

Have all of you who have done this cruise, or who are going to do this cruise taken malaria tablets?

Thank you.

Unless you're planning on going into a remote area of the jungle, or camping on the northern coast and staying for a long period of time, you probably won't need to take malaria pills before your trip ( I've heard they are pretty rough on one's body anyway) I've travelled extensively throughout CR and have never had to take anything and have always been fine. If you're worried, you may want to consider Hep. A ...its a good one to get, so is tetanus. However, its best to consult with your doctor.

My opinion...if just for a short stay...you don't need anything else for Costa Rica except insect repellent that contains DEET. .

Have a great time. CR is beautiful!!

I can't tell you about Costa Rica's malaria, but I did take an anti-malarial pill (Lariam) when I stayed in Johannesburg, South Africa. We didn't need the protection for the immediate area, but we had planned trips to some remote areas where malaria is still an issue. You have to take the pills a few days ahead of time and I think a week or 2 after any exposure. I did have mild side effects (very vivid dreams) but I stayed on the pills. My friend stopped taking them (very vivid nightmares!).

I was in Costa Rica 2 years ago for a total of 3 1/2 weeks, and was constantly in the rain forest. Rarely even used the DEET, except for nighttime inside our rooms. Since you'll be on the ship at night, I wouldn't worry about malaria.

Thank you.

hi doing same trip at the end of jan let us know on how you get on enjoy the trip

stevechesham9@hotmail.com

I am going on a land tour of Costa Rica on Nov. 18th for 10 days, went to Kaiser Travel Clinic a couple of weeks and got all the shots, was given Malaria Pills but its a personal choice, I don't think I will take them, as the nurse said staying only a few days in the Malaria prone areas it not really a must but they can't just say you don't need them for reasons. We went to Kenya in 01 and I had them then and still didn't take them so who knows? I think getting all the shots is important, which ones your travel clinic will advise you, some are reccomended but not any are required at this time for travel in Costa Rica. There is infor on the CDC site.

Wife says she will take hers because shes prone to get bitten, but I am not. It boils down to personal choice like most everything else, I would think just a day tour from the ship you should be ok. Bits happen in the evening they say but its still PC, Buck

we took them with us in belize as we were staying in the interior for a week in a cabana. they can make you feel ill and one side effect i didnt expect was GIDDINESS! yes i wondered why i was feeling silly(thought i was tired) but night after night i was silly and the other couple at the table thought i had rum in my virgin banana velvet, but NO! i read later that night that was one of the side effects, couldnt believe it! never did get bitten. we stopped taking it when we went to the coast. my DH used them for a while when we went to thailand interior(river kwai), but stopped taking them as he didnt feel well. so it is a personal choice and if you use deet you should be fine.

We cruised earlier this year with a stop in Puerto Limon and we did a shore excursion to the Rainforest. Never thought about malaria and had no problem. However, when I donated blood a few months later, I mentioned being in Costa Rica and they asked where. I said "Puerto Limon" and they said I was fine. A few days later the agency called me to ask more about my visit to Costa Rica. When I told them I had left Puerto Limon and gone to the Rainforest, they said they would be destroying my blood. Too much risk of malaria. Apparently, to this agency Puerto Limon was okay but not anywhere outside of that city.

Archived