If you Ran the OnBoard Shops........

sail7seas

If you could run and stock the onboard shops as you thought best, what items would you offer, what changes would you make to the way they are currently run......

OR do you think them just fine they way they are?

I don`t know what changes I would make, I only know I do not like them the way they are. Most of the stuff in the shops looks like a load of junk to me. I had the opportunity to talk often with a store manager on the Zaandam. She was British and came from a town close to where I am from so we got to be friends. I told her what I thought of the stores and their products, and tried to compare them with how the stores used to be. She said that they are making way more money since they brought in the "cheaper" stuff than they ever made before. I guess pax like to feel that they are getting a bargain by buying $10 items.

Not for me, I never go in the shops any more......jean :cool:

Quality goods, period.

On the Noordam in 1984, I remember being surprised to see they sold Burberry items, fancy chocolates, cheeses - all sorts of uniques little items - the shops were called "Canael Straet" and had a European flair.

Now they all just sell junk, IMO.

I don't like spend my free time shopping on land and specially during the cruise. Only things I usually by from the ship store are

1) "gold covered" ornaments of the Ships

2) magnets about ports of calls

3) some souvenir for my manager (cap or T-shirt about this ship) to make sure I will have my next cruise. ;)

4) This past cruise I bought some cold medicine.

If I need to buy quality stuff for easonable prices I prefer to go to Lord & Taylor, Macy's, Marshalls etc and look for sales.

Interesting that most are answering from a customer's point of view. Folks, the people running the shops are trying to maximize their profit. If they could sell more high priced merchandise, they would. Evidently they find that selling tatty goods moves more inventory at a reasonable markup.

Now, on a Vista-class ship, I'd have the current shops but also one which sold bigger ticket articles. I'd also market it exclusively to suite passengers, but would "allow" anyone to shop in it (perhaps "relunctantly" :rolleyes: ). That would sell some merchandise!

Seems that most of us who are shoppers agree the shops are horrible lately.

If they sold decent things, I am sure I would buy one thing or another. They way it is now, I can't find a thing that interests me.

I'm with Tatka on this. Why go onto a cruise ship to shop? That's what the ports are for. I think the shops should stock some quality souvenirs (cups, magnets, sweatshirts, windbreakers, ship models, etc.) and some "necessary" sundry type items that may have been forgotten. (Toothpaste, deodorant, etc.) If I want an inch of gold or a watch, I'll buy it on land.

Good quality HAL Logo sweaters, which my husband still has a few of. Also

several years ago I bought a beautiful silver evening bag aboard. Have been

looking for a nice black one since then and all they stock is cheap carboard

S--t. Have not spent a penny in the shops in a few years.

I would like to see some upscale boutiques, with Gucci, Versace, Prada, Chanel, etc. that would sell clothes, purses, accessories, sunglasses, and other fashion items.

Also a gift shop that offered better items, such as Lladro, Lalique, Waterford, Lenox, Baccarat, Swaravski, etc. would be nice.

Perhaps a Tiffany's, or Bailey Banks and Biddle for jewelry?

I don't mind the inexpensive souvenirs in the logo shops because that's the kind of stuff to bring home as gifts for friends, etc.

But on HAL and also on NCL (the other line I've cruised), I wish there was a better supply of drugstore items. One always forgets something or runs out, and what they stock is so limited. I couldn't even buy contact lens all-purpose solution on the Maasdam I think it was--they only had rinsing solution. And panty-hose--I end up bringing more than I need in case I get a run. I'd also like to see a more cosmetics and skin-care products sold with the perfumes. Nowadays I don't think you can even buy a lipstick on a ship.

In 1999, on the Norwegian Wind, in a corner of the ladies dress shop they had black fabric pumps -- one in size 6, one size 7, one size 8, and one size 9. I can only imagine how those occasionally allowed some ladies to attend dinner on formal night who otherwise would have had to order room service! That was a thoughtful touch, stocking those for emergencies.

CL

As a customer I would like to see ship specific items, like wine glasses or other types of souvenirs with the ship's name or photo. Also Dutch items (for HAL ships) like linens or delft or something from Holland. I think it would be a good idea to buy items on the ship but have them sent to your home from a remote location. That way you wouldn't have to pack souvenirs and the ship could avoid stocking a lot of inventory. Like ordering online but you get to see and touch what you are ordering. Too many times I have ordered something that looks different when it arrives!

If the cheap stuff is what makes money, then I at least would put some thought into stocking things that become necessities in the middle or end of a cruise -- bungie cords (for that extra bag of souveniers), aspirin, toiletries, Woolite (for hand washing delicate clothes), pantyhose (but not in the Caribbean, of course), money belts/pouches to be worn under clothes when ashore, luggage tags, duct tape (to fix whatever has gone wrong), and bittersweet chocolate (after days at sea with nothing but milk chocolate on one's pillow, this can become absolutely necessary to sustain life ;) ).

Things to Add:

-- Place settings of the Bvlgari china/flatware/crystal used in the Pinnacle Grill and the Rosenthal china and serving pieces used elsewhere

-- Polish Crystal Barware - with and without the HAL logo

-- Frette Linens (like the ones HAL should be using in all suites)

-- Egyptian cotton towels and bathrobes embroidered w/ the HAL Logo

-- Small gift boxes of the chocolates that are served w/ coffee at the end of Pinnacle dinners.

-- Real Waterford replicas of the Vista-Class atrium pieces (Seahorse, Globe & HAL Sailing ship) - not the cheap Chinese knockoffs...

-- HAL signature line of shampoos, lotions, soaps, aromatherapy candles, etc. to take home.

-- Sterling/Chromed Nickel/Bakelite/Acrylic/Leather keychains, pens, desk accessories, pins, picture frames, etc. - both with and without the HAL logos

-- Books: Specially commissioned coffee-table art books on HAL history, the Art found on HAL ships, the natural and cultural history of the regions HAL visits, as well as regularly available books on world cultures & nature including Dutch and Indonesian history, general steamship history & every book John Maxtone-Graham has ever written.

-- HAL logo totebags, briefcases and hand luggage made by Tumi, Connolly or Hartford

-- Blue & White Delft tiles, plates, mugs, etc. in traditional and HAL motifs

Things to lose:

-- Cheap souveneir candies and cookies that can be found anywhere

-- Cheap island souveniers that can be found anywhere

-- Cheap socks, underwear & pantyhose that nobody would ever buy at home

-- Logo Men's Ties (nobody should wear, give or be given a logo/novelty tie EVER!!!)

-- Cheap HAL logo totebags and hand luggage that is Made in China (and falls apart after one use, such as the one I bought for my souveneirs)

We boarded the Rotterdam on June 6. I had occasion to go into the sundries shop on an at-sea day two days later and they were already out of deodorant. That isn't what I was looking for, i overheard a conversation and looked for myself.

In the ship's logo shop, I asked the manager about "dam" ship merchandise as I didn't see any. She said that they only restock every 2 months and they had restocked on May 1. She also told me that a group from Philadelphia had bought it all up on the last Caribbean trip in May.

Knowing that 900 pax were getting on for 34 days, and another 300 were boarding in Amsterdam, shouldn't Hal have planned better? She said they would get a pallet or 2 in Amsterdam, but the next restocking would be in NY when we got off.

In Amsterdam, the only addition to the shops was another box of Baltic Amber which immediately went on sale.

Like my granddaughter says "junk, grandpa, Junk!" and poor planning and marketing......

Well, they did have several yellow Caribbean sweatshirts that said "Rotterdam"

Last year's transatlantic had NE/Canada logo stuff, really timely purchases for Europe, doncha think?

Phooey on the shops!

GN

I'd like to see a bookshop. Holland America has such a grand history that I'm sure they could easily sell books about their ships and their predecessors. Or perhaps a book showing the lovely artwork that is onboard.

There was a wonderful montage of old ship posters depicted on a T-shirt and mug -- but not on a poster, for some reason. :confused:

I love alot of Brian's ideas....especially selling boxes of the chocolates they serve in Pinnacle. Those candies are wonderful.

Trinity.....I love the shop you are proposing. Would be fun to have a selection of the various designer's things to browse through on a sea day.

Thanks everyone for all your comments.

If you could run and stock the onboard shops as you thought best, what items would you offer, what changes would you make to the way they are currently run......

OR do you think them just fine they way they are?

I wish there was a special place to group all these silly threads which do not help us get info on cruising. WOW! Do some people have a lot of spare time or what?

I wish there was a special place to group all these silly threads which do not help us get info on cruising. WOW! Do some people have a lot of spare time or what?
SO WHAT!!! - I guess we must have too much time on our hands... we LIKE it - so if you don't, why bother posting???

Sounds like someone else may have too much time on his hands if he can spend so much time checking in on these boards... :)

I don't know if you missed it - but digby, there were a few of us posting on your behalf on that stupid religion thread before it went bye-bye... I was one of the first - to me, this forum is all about fun and cruising... if we can't have that -what is there?

Archived