Zen- Ray Binoculars Summit or Vista ?

nans vacation

I have been reading all about binoculars. Everyone seems to love the Zen-Ray, but what is the big difference between the Summit and the Vista. BAK-4 roof prisms ? I would like to buy 2 pair of the 10X42 for our Alaska trip but did not want to spend alot of $$$$. Do you think the Vista would be ok? What would I be missing , not having BAK-4 roof prisms . Nancy

Have you noticed that no reviewers like Zen-Rays. In fact, if you look for reviews of Zen-Rays on any site, you will not find them. Does that suggest anything to you?

BTW, generally with binocs, you get what you pay for.

DON

*sigh* Here we go again. I bought the Summits and have rarely been happier with a purchase. We took another pair with us and after about 20 minutes using both, we put the second pair back in the cabin and shared the Summits. This is just my (and DH's) humble, personal, experience and opinion.

If you will search for the Binoculars thread you will find many positive reviews of Zen Rays and the summit. I read all of them and purchased a summit and dearly LOVE them. For the $$$ they can't be beat. I will probably buy another pair before our cruise next summer.

If you will search for the Binoculars thread you will find many positive reviews of Zen Rays and the summit. I read all of them and purchased a summit and dearly LOVE them. For the $$$ they can't be beat. I will probably buy another pair before our cruise next summer.

Nancy, I have 8x42 VISTA and 10x42 SUMMIT. So I couldn't provide a precise apple-to-apple comparison because of their different magnifications. There are few differences I noticed between them.

1) Vista close focus is 12ft vs 6ft for SUMMIT. It might not be such a big deal if you don't use binoculars for butterfly watching.

2) Both use fully multi-coated optics. But SUMMIT uses green coating on both eyepieces and objective lenses. Vista has green coating on the objective lenses and blue coatings on the eyepieces. I would assume the SUMMIT will be a little brighter than VISTA. I haven't got a chance to compare them under low light condition.

3) I measured the SUMMIT and VISTA's apparent field of view. SUMMIT is exactly 60 degree. Vista is about 58 degree. So SUMMIT has slightly wider AFOV.

I only had Vista for a couple of weeks. I got an 8x to complement my 10x SUMMIT and Monarch, especially in wooded area. So far, I like what I have seen. If you use binoculars occasionally, VISTA might be enough. For me, I still primarily use the class of binoculars like Monarch or SUMMIT for birding, just because of that bit of improvements.

We took four pairs of binoculars with us: two Zen-Ray 10x42 (summit $160 and Yukon $60), one Bushnell 8x42 (Elite E2, $480), and one 10x25 compact. In my view, the summit is one of the best deals I have for my past cruise (the other one is the last minute cruise deal I got).

Their customer service has been top notch: I got my order in 3 days from placing order. After coming back from cruise, I found the objective lens cover was misplaced by DS after his weekend trip with his friends in late September. I emailed zen-ray to try to order a replacement part. Instead, they sent me a free lens cap immediately without even asking me to pay for shipping. It was really a refreshing experience, especially since my pair has long passed its 30 day return period. I have told my experience to my friends and colleagues at work.

I have been reading all about binoculars. Everyone seems to love the Zen-Ray, but what is the big difference between the Summit and the Vista. BAK-4 roof prisms ? I would like to buy 2 pair of the 10X42 for our Alaska trip but did not want to spend alot of $$$$. Do you think the Vista would be ok? What would I be missing , not having BAK-4 roof prisms . Nancy

Thanks for asking - I had been wondering the same thing. I'm also considering both the Zen-Ray Summit and the Zen-Ray Vista, and have been trying to determine thw differences.

The info from qiangf2 seems to confirm what I had expected from the specs on the site: the Summit appears to have a closer focus and produce a brighter image. But I'm still wondering if the image sharpness is equivalent between the two? What about image distortion, even around the edges?

I'm leaning towards the Summit ... but if the Vista is of comparable image quality, I may seriously consider it.

as some of us may have known, we have seen quite a cosmo show in the last two weeks. One of the little known comets 17/P Holmes all of sudden lightens up million times. Now, the brightness is little fainter, but size has grown to half of the moon. If your sky is clear and light pollution is reasonable enough, you can view it with naked eyes. But any 7x to 10x binoculars will give you a wonderful view of this Comet.

Here is a link from S&T: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/home/10775326.html

Here is how to spot it, again, from S&T

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/home/10862521.html

Since Alaska cruise is still 6 month away, it will be nice to do something different other than being glued to the CC board every night. :)

Like Dave, I have the Summit 10x42 and Vista 8x42, so I can't do apples to apples. I went birding this weekend with the Summit 10x42s and was reminded all over again that I really like these binos. I like the Vista 8x42 a lot, but I perceive a small image quality difference between the two. It's hard to express or quantify, but the Summit is slightly brighter. The Vista, none-the-less, is a very good binocular and an excellent value. I think the deciding factor would be whether you can see yourself using your binos for activites beyond your cruise. If so, I'd say the price difference is worth it.

as some of us may have known, we have seen quite a cosmo show in the last two weeks. One of the little known comets 17/P Holmes all of sudden lightens up million times. Now, the brightness is little fainter, but size has grown to half of the moon. If your sky is clear and light pollution is reasonable enough, you can view it with naked eyes. But any 7x to 10x binoculars will give you a wonderful view of this Comet.

Here is a link from S&T: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/home/10775326.html

Here is how to spot it, again, from S&T

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/home/10862521.html

Since Alaska cruise is still 6 month away, it will be nice to do something different other than being glued to the CC board every night. :)

It is VERY cool...like a fried egg made of light. We actually had better viewing through 10x binoculars than through a telescope...now if we can only get the sky to clear again (we had our first SNOW in northern MN today:eek: )

the Summit appears to have a closer focus and produce a brighter image. But I'm still wondering if the image sharpness is equivalent between the two? What about image distortion, even around the edges?

I'm leaning towards the Summit ... but if the Vista is of comparable image quality, I may seriously consider it.

Overall image quality from Vista is very good, better than some of the more expensive pairs I have used. The build quality is exceptional. I like its new logo protected by an acrylic cover, which makes the unit look more substantial. That's something the SUMMIT should have. On image sharpness, SUMMIT is slightly better when I used a USAF resolution chart to do a controlled comparison under indoor lighting. When used outside under bright sunlight, it is hard to tell the difference.

Both binoculars have some degree of pincushion distortion. It is the type of distortion desirable to eliminate rollingball effect when panning the binoculars. That's not something I would worry since my more expensive zeiss one has it too. I had a post earlier on this. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=565409. I hardly notice those distortions when using them unless I intentionally steer my focus towards the edge FOV and look at some straight lines. By doing that, I think my 10x SUMMIT is comparable to 8x VISTA. So, if I had two pairs in the same magnification, Vista should have slightly bigger pincushion distortion.

I agree with photodoodle that Vista is a great value. I am glad to add it to my collection without having to get authorization from DW first. :)

It is VERY cool...like a fried egg made of light. We actually had better viewing through 10x binoculars than through a telescope...now if we can only get the sky to clear again (we had our first SNOW in northern MN today:eek: )

Yes, I also find viewing with my 8x/10x binocular is better than my 25x giant one. I think the larger field of view with smaller magnification really enhances the viewing exprience, especially with such a large object of the comet.

BTW, were you and photodoodle taking picture of the same whale from the opposite direction?:D ;)

What is the best place to get a good deal on Zen-Ray Vistas? A poster above listed 10x Vistas at a cost of $60, but the Zen-Ray site currently has them listed for about $90. TIA

I think the poster above refers to their Yukon model for $60, not Vista. I was looking at that as well, but decide not to get it because it is not waterproof. Instead, I got a pair of Summit. The image quality is incredible, well worthy it.

Have you noticed that no reviewers like Zen-Rays. In fact, if you look for reviews of Zen-Rays on any site, you will not find them. Does that suggest anything to you?

BTW, generally with binocs, you get what you pay for.

DON

What reviewers are you talking about Don ??? If you read these boards often, you will find outstanding reviews and info about ZenRays and other top brands as well. We have had a pair of the ZR Summits and think they are top knotch. We took them on our third trip to Alaska this summer and found them superior to the 4 other pairs of quality binocs that we have used in the past. In our opinion, they are a great bang for the buck !!! That's the facts and we are sticking to them :D . gg

We have had a pair of the ZR Summits. gg

gg, I got a question stuck in my head that I cannot shake off. I know we can say a pair of binoculars. Is the word binoculars plural or singular? We know binoculars have two barrels of optics. Is it legal to use the word binocular? I finally decided to ask since you use plural term "summits". :);)

gg, I got a question stuck in my head that I cannot shake off. I know we can say a pair of binoculars. Is the word binoculars plural or singular? We know binoculars have two barrels of optics. Is it legal to use the word binocular? I finally decided to ask since you use plural term "summits". :);)

Hmmm...we always seem to refer to our "bins" in the plural...for example, DW prefers the Nikons, DS uses the B&L's, and DD loves her pair of Canons...so I guess the word "binoclars" is pleural

:D

And while I have you "on the spot" :), let me just say a big thank you for all the info you have passed on to so many of us. This Texas girl does not know the answer to the ???. I say a pair of glasses also when I am talking about my readers. Maybe anything with two items to complete the unit is a pair....maybe ??? Like a pair of shoes (a left and a right), a pair of binocs (2 lenses), a pair of glasses (2 lenses). Probably....grammatically, that pair term is not needed, so what do we say. I bought some binoculars ! (no "some" is plural). I bought binoculars ! I bought shoes !! But then the listener would not know if you bought "one set" or several sets. I reckon "pair of shoes" is redundant....since no one would buy just one....so the word pair is not needed, but golly, it sure is used. It does sorta let the listener know that you bought just one set, though, doesn't it ?? What a good question. :D gg

Archived