Don't laugh at me....

Dee777

You'd think I coulda figured that one out, eh?

That sounds rather... pointless! To me, anyway. I am sure there are many out there who have enjoyed cruises to nowhere, though.

Thanks for your reply.

Dee

That sounds rather... pointless! To me, anyway. I am sure there are many out there who have enjoyed cruises to nowhere, though.

Thanks for your reply.

Dee

My friend likes them. He has trouble walking so is not interested in ports:D

• Administrators

Thanks for your reply.

Dee

Most cruises to nowhere are very short -- one to two nights. Sometimes they are called "dinner/dance" cruises. They are quickie revenue generators, fill small gaps in a cruiseline's schedule, and allow people who may never have tried a cruise to take a VERY short one just to see if they totally hate it. Experienced cruisers often also use them as ways to "pad" their "number of cruises taken" statistic for past guest perks.

It's a great getaway if you live near the port. I'd do it without hesitation but only if it were at least 2 nights. Three nights would be ideal. We wouldn't bother for one night. For us, unless in Europe, the ship is more important to us than where it is or is not going.

We've done two cruises to nowhere. Both were two-day cruises. Both even had a formal night! We really enjoyed each cruise, but we live very close to two ports. I'm not sure such a short cruise would be worth the effort if we had to fly to get to the port.

We usually sail NCL, but a few years ago did a two-day CTN. It never occurred to me there would be a formal night.:eek: My 10 year old wore her brothers Hawaiian shirt, rather than the Snoopy tee shirt she had brought. We were all mortified. We did have a great time the rest of the trip.

But I would like to know what the heck a "Cruise to nowhere" is!

Thanks.

Dee

Hello,

No one is going to laugh at you, for asking a question that is cruise related! Questions are especially welcome from Canadians, because far too many USAers could not tell you the difference between a maple leaf and the Saint Lawrence River!

A cruise to nowhere, goes nowhere, except upon the sea.

Questions are always welcome. Hope that this helps.

Fred

In 1966 when Knut Kloster and Ted Arison started what we now know as modern cruising, they had the same response from travel agents and the public.

They proposed that people would pay money to board a cruise ship, travel in a big circle, stopping at a few islands, and returning to where they had started. Everyone thought they were nuts. It was almost like paying to get on an airplane, flying in a circle, and returning to the same airport. Why would anyone want to do that?

14 million people did it last year.

But I would like to know what the heck a "Cruise to nowhere" is!

Thanks.

Dee

...........and the best thing about a cruise to nowhere is..........when people ask you........where did you cruise to........you can honestly say.........nowhere........:)

Cruises to Nowhere are great for a variety of reasons:

1) A mini vacation to tie cruisers over until the next big one

2) A great way to check out a new ship (That's what we're doing on the Gem in December - also meeting celebrities on same sailing)

3) A great excuse to visit a particular port city (i.e., we have never been to Los Angeles or Seattle and are considering C2N to supplement visits to those cities)

4) For those that live close to a port it is just a matter of convenience (We live 15 minutes from the Norfolk cruise terminal):D

Archived