It's Very Interesting.....

sagiv666

When my wife and I cruised to Canada and New England aboard the Spirit (10/28 to 11/3), we were showered with sanitizer and cautined to do everything to avoid the spread of microbes, especially the norovirus.

However, when we disembarked, no sanitizers were spread on us. Does NCL expect us to reproduce healthy future passengers regardless of what happens to us?:confused:

Are you talking about the birds and the bees? ;)

No, I was just amused that NCL showered us with sanitizer when we first boarded and every time we returned from going ashore. However, when we disembarked, there was no such attention.

As a retired microbiologist, I have always been sensitive to health issues, including the conditions where we shop and eat on shore, in our home, and on a cruise ship. I also noted that while we are sprayed and cautioned to watch out from spreading microbes, so much of the ship -- including much of the food they offer -- is uncovered and a good source of microbial infection.:eek:

I have a question.....

My parents were on the 10/28 sailing of the Spirit. Dad started with a rash on Thursday (during the cruise) and went to the doctor yesterday. He was diagnosed as having a staph infection.

Should this be reported to the cruise line?

I have a question.....

My parents were on the 10/28 sailing of the Spirit. Dad started with a rash on Thursday (during the cruise) and went to the doctor yesterday. He was diagnosed as having a staph infection.

YES! He's probably going to be denied boarding. Staph is very serious, especially on the skin. He shouldn't go. It can make him worse and infect other peope.

S/he is saying that the Dad who got OFF the cruise has staph. Should that be reported to the cruise line. I assume that OP thinks Dad contracted staph on the cruise ship.

When my wife and I cruised to Canada and New England aboard the Spirit (10/28 to 11/3), we were showered with sanitizer and cautined to do everything to avoid the spread of microbes, especially the norovirus.

However, when we disembarked, no sanitizers were spread on us. Does NCL expect us to reproduce healthy future passengers regardless of what happens to us?:confused:

I think you lost most of us somewhere. I have never seen any line offer hand sanitizers upon disembarkation at the end of a cruise. should they? I don't know, but I don't think you will see this happening anytimes soon.

Nita

The cruise line has to prevent the spread of infection aboard ship. They aren't responsible for what happens after the cruise when passengers are back on shore. And while I hope it never happens, what if there were an epidemic of some infection and the public health authorities traced in back to a cruise ship?

The cruise line has to prevent the spread of infection aboard ship. They aren't responsible for what happens after the cruise when passengers are back on shore. And while I hope it never happens, what if there were an epidemic of some infection and the public health authorities traced in back to a cruise ship?

It wasnt a huge outbreak but in Indianapolis a bunch of people got sick after eating at an Olive Garden. They traced it back to someone who had changed a dirty diaper on the table :eek: and the toddler had been on a cruise ship and contracted Norovirus. I sure wish I could remember what line they said it was.

I have a question.....

Actually, staph is the bacteria that is the cause of most common skin infections (boils, rashes, etc.). These are treated with common antibiotics. It is when it is diagnosed as M.R.S.A., which is the antibiotic resistant form of staph, is the big concern. Although I would think that any infection should be reported to the ship just in case.

I have a question.....

Absolutely. All medical events that occurred during the cruise would be of interest to the cruise line. In fact, even if one has all plans to see their own doctor when ashore, they should report any event to the ship's doctor.

One of the biggest problems faced today is when children who attend school have no temperature but feel a little achy, etc. Several days later they are kept at home after developing a temperature reflecting a bacterial infection. During the prior days when the microbes were incubating, the pupil, sent to school, was capable of transmitting the same microbes to others -- pupils, teachers, parents, etc. Could this have happened on the cruise? -- perhaps.:eek:

YES! He's probably going to be denied boarding. Staph is very serious, especially on the skin. He shouldn't go. It can make him worse and infect other peope.

The rash did not appear until well into the cruise. Now, we all have to watch ourselves; in fact, even if we don't feel bad, it's not a bad idea to contact our doctors and tell them this happened.

Archived