I need great ideas for group pictures.

Dsnyluvr

17 of us are going on a cruise. I know they take your picture when you're first getting on the ship, but my immediate family is going to have to get a suite to fit all of us (7). From the little bit I've read here, it sounds like the suites board before the other rooms. So much for my idea of us all getting a picture together while we're getting on. Is there anywhere else/any other time that would make for good group pictures?

During the cruise you will find various photography "stations" set up around and after dinner time. This past July on the Serenade, we had to make an app't (free) to have a special time set aside for us to take some photos of our family group (16 of us). It was about an hour before dinner, formal night.

We had priority boarding as well, but stayed with the family and had a great shot of us all (in our matching tee's of course!) before we boarded. It turned out great! So go to guest relations and set up an app't, unless they want to accomodate you with out one. You may also want to do a group shot when you disembark at one of your ports, that makes a great shot too ;)

During the cruise you will find various photography "stations" set up around and after dinner time. This past July on the Serenade, we had to make an app't (free) to have a special time set aside for us to take some photos of our family group (16 of us). It was about an hour before dinner, formal night.

We had priority boarding as well, but stayed with the family and had a great shot of us all (in our matching tee's of course!) before we boarded. It turned out great! So go to guest relations and set up an app't, unless they want to accomodate you with out one. You may also want to do a group shot when you disembark at one of your ports, that makes a great shot too ;)

I like the idea of the matching tees! :D We girls did it at Walt Disney World. The guys will hate it though:p ! How did you stay with the family to get your picture when you went onboard? Did they give each family a set time, and you all just waited for the last time? For your group appointment, did you get to pick the place where they took the pictures or did they have a studio set up?

There may be an opportunity for Casual Portraits (check your Cruise Compass for time and place), in which case they are taken on a black or white background (your choice). We thought the white looked better and I tell you, there wasn't a bad shot in the bunch. The photographers know how to pose you and what looks good, so my only advice is to wear something similar (like everyone, regardless of age, can wear a white shirt and blue jeans) and go for it. Remember, you only pay for the shots you want, so nothing lost.

Have fun!

I like the idea of the matching tees! :D We girls did it at Walt Disney World. The guys will hate it though:p ! How did you stay with the family to get your picture when you went onboard? Did they give each family a set time, and you all just waited for the last time? For your group appointment, did you get to pick the place where they took the pictures or did they have a studio set up?

The Dad's, uncles, and grandpa did not mind the shirts, they were your basic white with a ship and the birthday message and date of cruise, in blue. They were not girly, only the "cut" of the tee for us girls. (my Mother in Laws 65th b-day bash). We actually got to the ship really early (vancouver) and boarded right away, maybe the whole process took 20 minutes including checking in ETC!! It was lightning quick! So we all got to board together.

As for the app't, yes we had a time of 5:00pm, first formal night. The photog was great, considering both my sis in laws had tiny kids and an 18month old.

We had a place in mind and agreed to it, it was a staircase that led from the shops etc...down to the centrum bar/guest relations desk.

It turned out really nice.

The photographers know how to pose you and what looks good, so my only advice is to wear something similar (like everyone, regardless of age, can wear a white shirt and blue jeans) and go for it.

Have fun!

What if we all dressed up (not tux & ballgown, but just nice suits/dresses)? Would they still do those pictures? I'll have 2 sons graduating that year. I think it will be my last chance to get "nice" pictures of them.

Think he wants to adopt a family? Hee-hee-hee:p

I know huh?? They are truly the best in-laws any wife could ask for. I have been with my hubby for 25 years, married for 18 (we met very young, 15 and 17, married at 21 and 23), and they just keep getting sweeter and sweeter!

My first cruise ever was with them in 87', HAL over Christmas. We were engaged and they gave us a cabin and paid for everything. Same the following year. Then this last one, they paid for all the families air, and transfers and cabins, (with the exception of the difference we paid for an upgrade, which only cost $1,100 for a family of 5!) you would fall over if I told you the total cost of 5 cabins (one a suite) and airfare etc..!!!

They are really really giving, but we do love to cruise just us of course! ;):p

I know huh?? They are truly the best in-laws any wife could ask for. I have been with my hubby for 25 years, married for 18 (we met very young, 15 and 17, married at 21 and 23), and they just keep getting sweeter and sweeter!

My first cruise ever was with them in 87', HAL over Christmas. We were engaged and they gave us a cabin and paid for everything. Same the following year. Then this last one, they paid for all the families air, and transfers and cabins, (with the exception of the difference we paid for an upgrade, which only cost $1,100 for a family of 5!) you would fall over if I told you the total cost of 5 cabins (one a suite) and airfare etc..!!!

They are really really giving, but we do love to cruise just us of course! ;):p

It's great that you get along with your in-laws so well. Sometimes it can make or break a marriage.

Take the time to enjoy them. Unfortunately, they'll be gone some day. My inlaws passed away within a year of each other. My husband had such a hard time with it.

What if we all dressed up (not tux & ballgown, but just nice suits/dresses)? Would they still do those pictures? I'll have 2 sons graduating that year. I think it will be my last chance to get "nice" pictures of them.

They will take a pic of you however you are dressed.

The black and white portraits are great, but they have quite a few backdrops i.e.The ship by moonlight , a staircase and library, also the green glass staircase on the ship, just go down to the photo gallery and talk to the staff there.

Look out for the roving video staff who get you on that weeks video/dvd tape. They usually come round at muster times and sailaway, also all the crazy games etc that go on round the ship.You can then preview this in the gallery prior to purchase.

Our group of about 25 friends made an appointment before dinner on a formal night and the photographer took our picture on the staircase in the Centrum on Rhapsody. One of my all-time favorite cruise photos! I believe we still paid the requisite $20 each for 8x10 photograph.

Having cruised with a group of 22 and having a group picture taken, I don't suggest having the entire group done on a formal night. Take a picture with just your family for formal night, do the entire family at another time. Arrange an appointment with the ship photographer for that.

With a group of 17, unless you want the picture taken at such a distance you can't see faces closely, your best bet for a picture of everyone is one of the lifestyle pics they sell. Those are the ones they can take where some people are sitting on the floors, etc. It is just a lot easier to do one of those if you aren't in formal wear - who wants to be the one that has to sit on the floor in a suit or a dress? RCCL is the only ship I've seen those nice lifestyle informal pictures available on.

It also will hold up the embarkation pics of everyone else behind you if you want a group shot with everyone getting onto the ship. And they will not have the time to make sure everyone is smiling and looks good if you try this at embarkation.

Trust me, they want you to buy as many pics as possible- once you get on the ship get in touch with a photographer and make an appointment. They may be able to get you around the pool, or a stairwell or an another area that will look great and give you all a relaxed atmosphere to take the picture in rather than when everyone else is doing it. You'll all look better if you are relaxed and not rushed.

This Christmas we will be a group of over 50 and plan on boarding at the same time to get our picture taken....we will all have matching tshirts as well...this should be interesting :eek: :D

Yep, very interesting! but it will be worth it, and the tee's are great huh?? :p

Just try to do the pic as fast as possible, to not hold everyone up behind you, although there is usually 2 photog's before you board anyway. Good luck with that, you should submit it to a cruising mag! :D

If you want to try to take a few shots yourself, the staircases are fantastic for a large group. Shortest in front, tallest in back, and you'll be able to see everyone's face!

To get yourself in the picture, you can use a self-timer and a small tripod. I got one for about $15 at an electronics store and I use that thing all the time!

Take tons of pictures, and remember this time well. However much you spend for the pictures, it will be worth every dime! Memories really are priceless!

Yes, yes! You will all look fabulous. The photograhers are available to assist you in anything you want. For such a special group shot, I do recommend not getting the somewhat "cheesy" backgrounds (no offense to anyone!!). You'll see several to choose from, but the ones I don't like (and look silly, IMO and in the opinion of people who see our photos) are the Titanic background, the actual ship background, and even the moonlight background (again... sorry!). The very best shots we ever got were on the plain, white background. They looked phenominal. The black background was nice too, but we preferred the white one.

As mentioned above, they also shoot pictures on the staircases, and in the Atrium of the older ships (and on the Sky Bridge of the Freedom class ships). Look for a background or backdrop you like, and get them done. Remember, you only pay for the ones you want. :)

Yep, very interesting! but it will be worth it, and the tee's are great huh?? :p

Just try to do the pic as fast as possible, to not hold everyone up behind you, although there is usually 2 photog's before you board anyway. Good luck with that, you should submit it to a cruising mag! :D

LOL dont want to further embarrass myself....but hey for a free cruise I will wear anything ( or nothing ) ;) :D

You can get togther for the boarding pic. Just meet up before you board and go together to the photo guy. Have your pic taken then split up if you have to for boarding ie the Suite set to the lounge and the others with everyone else. On formal nights start early to hit the various set up. The staircase one is the easist for a large group.

On my cruise this summer there was a family of 57 getting their pix taken. They stood on a staircase and the photographer stood on a walkway near the staircase to snap the pix. They all wore denim shirts that they had imprinted with some sort of logo. Ages varied from seniors to toddlers. They looked great. Another idea. A teacher I work with had family portrait taken with all her kids and grandchildren. Everyone wore a red shirt and jeans. They were not all the same style but they looked great together. Everyone showed their own personality. You could try that with your fav colors too.

17 of us are going on a cruise. I know they take your picture when you're first getting on the ship, but my immediate family is going to have to get a suite to fit all of us (7). From the little bit I've read here, it sounds like the suites board before the other rooms. So much for my idea of us all getting a picture together while we're getting on. Is there anywhere else/any other time that would make for good group pictures?

You do not have to step in that special line for people in Suites if you really want a photo of all 17 together before you board the ship. If you don't mind standing in line with everyone else so you will able to get a picture of all 17 of you together boarding the ship by all means do so.

But as other posters mentioned there are plenty of places around the ships where you can have your photos taken.

Is there a less busy time for all of us to board so that we're not holding a bunch of people up?

Can you really go out on the helipad? It's going to be an Alaskan cruise, so now I have visions of us on the helipad with a glacier or something in the background. Is that even a possibility?

That's for all the ideas everyone. \

AND I couldn't even imagine trying to do a group of 50! :eek: I'm a nervous wreck doing our little group. :D

Archived