Cruisin' Solo...

TSratch

Hey Guys...This is my first day on the scene and after viewing the advice that yall have been giving to others, I figured I could get some advice with something that has been on mind.

Alright...I have a cruise booked for the Bahamas in late April...I booked it with a friend of mine and my half is paid but his isn't...We have until Feb. 21st to have the final payment paid. Im very sure that he's not going to pay his portion. I know this guy pretty well...But I chose to book it anyway because Im willing to go by myself if all fails...

In the event that he doesn't pay, I'm willing to pay his half and just go by myself...To make a long story short...What do you guys think about someone who cruises by themselves? Tips?

Thanks,

Terence!

I would ask someone else to take his place but all my friends aren't trying to cough up any loot.

What do you guys think about someone who cruises by themselves? Tips?

I think : Lucky person, a solo-cruise is so relaxing!

Tips: Don't be afraid to talk to people if the situation is right, enjoy all the activities you like on the ship and I'm sure you will meet other people.

Hi:) If you scroll through this particular forum you will lots of us

who always sail solo (me included):D

There are many threads which talk about the positives of going

solo....I can come and go as I please, do what I want, when I want...

I have been on my own for almost 25 years and I love having

my own space:)

Cruising is an awesome form of vacation. I have seen many places

for the first time and then gone back again...and again;) and

if it is port I don't care about I just stay on the ship. It can

be my destination anytime! But it is great to visit new spots too.

The staff and crew are wonderful. They don't care if you are on

your own. It is just a piece of cake.....you will see the same folks

and most cruisers are really friendly.

If you want to be active and do stuff you can, if you want to lay

out with a book and a drink you can....

Personally for me, cruising is the best value for my $$ and I love

being pampered for a week:D ;)

Enjoy yourself and have a wonderful time!!!

I have just returned last friday from a X cruise on Century in the Med. Today I have just booked a Caribbean out of New York on the wonderful QM2. 10 night on the ship and 2 nights pre cruise in NY.

Again I wil be going solo. I took and paid for about 9 cruises taking a friend 3 times another friend once. Also a Cousin twice and my Sister twice. I would only ever share with my Sister and she is not well enough to travel at the moment.

I love having my room to myself and it really is liberating to be able to do what I want when I want.

Don't give it a second thought just do it!

Sue

Hi Sue:)

I hope you had a great time:) I will be on CENTURY for a short

Caribbean cruise next month:D

I sailed her 3 times before her major overhaul last year....this

will be my first time back on her since! Cannot wait to see

what she looks like:)

• 4 weeks later...

I just returned from my third cruise on Seabourn, the second I have traveled solo with them. I have also traveled by myself to Alaska on Holland America. I've taken trips to Tahiti and England by myself.

Frankly, I prefer traveling alone. I can't tell you how many puzzled looks I get and questions (why do you travel by yourself)? It's funny how unusual this seems to be. Personally, I have no interest in parties and bars....I travel for culture, relaxation, scuba diving, and to meet interesting new people.

I think you need to be honest with yourself about the agenda for your trip, whatever it may be. If you go with the attitude that you are going to enjoy yourself no matter what comes your way, you can have the time of your life.

Yes sometimes I get lonely and yes it can be awkward sometimes with lots of couples. But I am pretty good at finding entertainment for myself and always have a great time. Best wishes to you.

Jane

I've booked my first cruise and I'm going alone, too. I thought someone might be interested in going with me, but haven't found any takers.

Like you, I was willing to go it alone and pay the whole thing. But, I am a bit nervous about it, too. I'm not quite sure how it will go.

My cruise also has its own message board, and I've met some folks online already. I've put out a call for other solo cruisers on this ship, but so far, I've only received one response.

But, this is a special interest cruise (music/songwriters) so that's really the reason I wanted to go, so I'm sure I'll have a ball.

Hey Guys...This is my first day on the scene and after viewing the advice that yall have been giving to others, I figured I could get some advice with something that has been on mind.

Alright...I have a cruise booked for the Bahamas in late April...I booked it with a friend of mine and my half is paid but his isn't...We have until Feb. 21st to have the final payment paid. Im very sure that he's not going to pay his portion. I know this guy pretty well...But I chose to book it anyway because Im willing to go by myself if all fails...

In the event that he doesn't pay, I'm willing to pay his half and just go by myself...To make a long story short...What do you guys think about someone who cruises by themselves? Tips?

Thanks,

Terence!

I would ask someone else to take his place but all my friends aren't trying to cough up any loot.

I have travelled a lot solo - and I really enjoy the freedom of doing what I want, when I want.

If you haven't already done so, be sure to look up the Roll Call for your cruise (whether you go solo or not). Chat online with your fellow cruisers and go to the meet and greet. That way, at least you'll know some people on board and can always say "hi" if/when you bump into them during the cruise.

Have a great first solo cruise!

I just returned from my first solo cruise and I had a great time! I was a little apprehensive but there was no reason to be. My next cruise is booked with a friend but in the future I will have no hesitation in booking a solo cruise. I was able to do what I want, when I want, which was wonderful.

I just did a solo 7 day on NCL dawn and had a great time. Even though NCL seems solo unfriendly with their freestyle dinning, I found it to be fine. I ate dinner by myself and had a few stares but no problem for me. I met people on the ship and had dinner with them the following nights. It is a good way to travel and I would recommend it to anyone.

I am booked for Hawaii and Alaska next year both solo and am excited to see great places at my pace.

I took my first cruise with my best friend and by the end of the week, we were barely speaking to each other. Life on the ship was vastly different from the way we related on land, we reacted to it quite different, and we didn't get along at all. We remained very distant for quite a few years afterward, too. In fact, she didn't even invite me to her wedding.

On the other hand, I've sailed with another friend I only get to see on ships because she doesn't live here, and we get along great.

So my advice if you're thinking of sailing with a questionable character just to avoid the single supplement is DON'T. You're better off paying extra and going alone. You'll make new friends on the ship.

Just want to respond and say, just do it, I have booked an Alaska trip Aug 20 08, I expect to have a wonderful solo time. I too can not wait for other people to make up there minds or gather enough money. I'm excited

Good luck with your decision

I am in my mid 40's (divorced) and have been traveling solo for the past 5 years. I was extremely apprehensive on my very first solo trip but quickly fell in love with doing whatever and whenever I wanted.

In every single vacation by myself I have found others to hang out with. I believe that if you look to have fun you will. I can honestly say that my best vacations I have ever been on were the vacations where I travelled by myself.

I will never forget, while on a catamaran excursion this April in Barbados, I was chatting with a women also in her 40's who was with her husband, two young kids and sister. When she found out that I was travelling alone she told me that she was so jealous of anyone who travelled alone.

Just remember that if you look to have a great time and present yourself in a friendly manner, you won't be alone on your trip - unless you want to be alone.

Travelling alone is good for the soul.

Good luck with your trip

Donnie

- Traveling solo on the NCL Pearl March 7, 2008 for 9 nights in the southern Caribbean

I just returned from my first solo cruise, and I would definitely do another. Such freedom!

A solo cruise on the Atlantic in December was just what I needed - no phones, no emails, and just many days of lazing around, doing whatever I liked on a brand new ship.. Just perfect!

Since I was traveling solo, I was determined to be outgoing, although that is not my nature. When we arrived at Barcelona Airport, I talked to anyone who looked like a likely prospect for the same cruise, none of whom wanted to share a cab to the ship. (Too much luggage, I was told)

One thing that helped alot was meeting with the cruise citic members whom I had met online from the Roll call. There were so many of us that alot of activities were planned for the group by individuals members - everything from specialty dinners to bowling (on NCL Gem), so I had company when I needed it.

I asked to be seated with others at breakfast one morning, but sat by myself, However, at dinner (freestyle), I was seated at a table of 8 and had a lively conversation.

The rest of the journey was blur. I read 3 ½ books. I slept well. The next time my husband can't go, I'll gladly go on my own.

I just did an 11-day Southern Caribbean by myself, but not really by myself. I met some wonderful people in Cruise Critics Roll Call beforehand and we all hit it off from the get-go. I had a wonderful time just doing what I like to do and not feeling like I had to wait for anybody to make up their mind. If I didn't want to do something, I didn't. 9 glorious ports of call in 11 days was invigorating as well as tiring in some respects, but well worth it. I would recommend it to the people who are dragging their life jacket about going.

I am in my mid 40's (divorced) and have been traveling solo for the past 5 years. I was extremely apprehensive on my very first solo trip but quickly fell in love with doing whatever and whenever I wanted.

In every single vacation by myself I have found others to hang out with. I believe that if you look to have fun you will. I can honestly say that my best vacations I have ever been on were the vacations where I travelled by myself.

I will never forget, while on a catamaran excursion this April in Barbados, I was chatting with a women also in her 40's who was with her husband, two young kids and sister. When she found out that I was travelling alone she told me that she was so jealous of anyone who travelled alone.

Just remember that if you look to have a great time and present yourself in a friendly manner, you won't be alone on your trip - unless you want to be alone.

Travelling alone is good for the soul.

Good luck with your trip

Donnie

- Traveling solo on the NCL Pearl March 7, 2008 for 9 nights in the southern Caribbean

Hi Donnie,:) are you sailing out of San Juan? I will be sailing

the same day as you, just a different ship;)

10 nights for me on Celebrity's Galaxy. Wonder if we will be

in some of the same ports at the same time!

And thanks for that comment...hope its ok if I use it.

"Traveling alone is good for the soul".....wow, after 5 years of sailing

solo I agree 110%....traveling alone? Been doing that for close

to 20 years....maybe my soul is really good? :)

I just did an 11-day Southern Caribbean by myself, but not really by myself. I met some wonderful people in Cruise Critics Roll Call beforehand and we all hit it off from the get-go. I had a wonderful time just doing what I like to do and not feeling like I had to wait for anybody to make up their mind. If I didn't want to do something, I didn't. 9 glorious ports of call in 11 days was invigorating as well as tiring in some respects, but well worth it. I would recommend it to the people who are dragging their life jacket about going.

Patty in Pa,

Were you on Galaxy? Any info on the ship or ports you would like to share? Am considering doing the southern carib. in March and could use some feedback. Also a solo traveler. Husband does not care for cruising.:o However, I love it and will continue to cruise until my body stops letting me do it.

Anne

Patty in Pa,

Were you on Galaxy? Any info on the ship or ports you would like to share? Am considering doing the southern carib. in March and could use some feedback. Also a solo traveler. Husband does not care for cruising.:o However, I love it and will continue to cruise until my body stops letting me do it.

Anne

Anne, you are thinking of going in March? Which date?

It would be great to finally meet you.....I just made final

payment for March 7th:D GALAXY!

Hi Lois,

Oh Darn. :( I am looking at the 17 Mar. sailing so I can combine it with my ta on Summit on the 29th. Having a little trouble with the DH on this one :rolleyes:. He actually feels I am overdoing it. :rolleyes: I may have to give on this one.

I do hope you are considering the 13 Oct wine cruise on Mercury. Sounds like we have a good group and should have a really great time. Think about it? :D

Anne (who may be getting carried away with her smilies)

Hi Donnie,:) are you sailing out of San Juan? I will be sailing

the same day as you, just a different ship;)

10 nights for me on Celebrity's Galaxy. Wonder if we will be

in some of the same ports at the same time!

And thanks for that comment...hope its ok if I use it.

"Traveling alone is good for the soul".....wow, after 5 years of sailing

solo I agree 110%....traveling alone? Been doing that for close

to 20 years....maybe my soul is really good? :)

Lois,

Will be sailing out of Miami on March 7th hitting islands in the southern Caribbean. Have a great trip

Hi Lois,

Oh Darn. :( I am looking at the 17 Mar. sailing so I can combine it with my ta on Summit on the 29th. Having a little trouble with the DH on this one :rolleyes:. He actually feels I am overdoing it. :rolleyes: I may have to give on this one.

I do hope you are considering the 13 Oct wine cruise on Mercury. Sounds like we have a good group and should have a really great time. Think about it? :D

Anne (who may be getting carried away with her smilies)

Hi Anne, no, no...you are not getting carried away....that is why

the icons are there:)

I will definitely think about it. When I saw that itinerary I thought

it sounded fantastic. But there are those aggrivating things

called finances!

I am sure all of you will have a great time!

Patty in Pa,

Anne

No cruiseacecat>>>I have not been on Galaxy. You just missed a fantastic cruise on Empress, although it is a small, non-glitzy ship. Let me know where the cruise is going and I might be able to give you some tips on excursions. Everyone asks why I go alone. It's simple, I like myself. My husband doesn't mind me going alone, but I am also finding the quality of these cruises is slinking lower and lower. May have to stick to a land cruise in the future, although I feel safer on a ship. It must be the "Boomer" in us. I am going to be 62 this summer and am not planning on putting the suitcases in mothballs any time soon. Let me know what you decide.

Archived