Audio Books

LynnAB

I thought that as I listened to them....knew they would bother you. Heck, it would bother anybody...or it should. South of Broad has nothing like that (so far at least).

That's true. Beach Music probably should bother anyone ... not just me <g>.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - Have not read the entire thread, so I may be repeating some things here.

I love my ipod - I got the 160 gig one, since I filled up my 80 gig last year. I have tons of music, and probably over 400 full books. Too annoying to swap out books etc on my ipod.

I love the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series, and am currently going thru them all again.

Comes in very handy during plane rides - I have the in-ear ear-buds, and they really do keep out a lot of extraneous noise. I put a book on low volume, and just doze away - the spoken voice lulls me to sleep when I'm tired. (Explains some of my college classes....)

Kathy

Sorry - Have not read the entire thread, so I may be repeating some things here.

I love my ipod - I got the 160 gig one, since I filled up my 80 gig last year. I have tons of music, and probably over 400 full books. Too annoying to swap out books etc on my ipod.

I love the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series, and am currently going thru them all again.

Comes in very handy during plane rides - I have the in-ear ear-buds, and they really do keep out a lot of extraneous noise. I put a book on low volume, and just doze away - the spoken voice lulls me to sleep when I'm tired. (Explains some of my college classes....)

Kathy

Hi, Kathy,

I'm finding that is my biggest problem if I lie down in bed at night and try to listen to my audiobook <g>. It definitely "lulls" me to sleep, too. I really LOVE audiobooks, though, so I'm not complaining.

One thing that is GREAT is listening to a book when I'm doing things around the house. I actually accomplish MORE laundry and/or cleaning because I don't get bored. I can indulge in listening to a great story and not feel "guilty."

I listened to all of the Outlander series about a year ago. They're amazing.

Feel free to jump in here with recommendations for your favorite audiobooks. We are all interested in "new" discoveries ... books that might be new to us.

Welcome!!!

Lynn

Hi everyone; I just happened on this thread while I was browsing in cruise critic. I love to read, but mostly I listen to books on my ipod. Right now I am listening to Diana Gabaldons Outlander. When I finish this one should I read them in a certain order? I also went back and listened to Prince of tides, before I go into the longer books by Conroy. I just found out that Barbara Taylor Brandford will be in Tucson on Thursday for a book signing and talks about her other books. I am thinking of going. I am really glad I found this thread. It is really helpful when you are wondering what to read next. Donna

Hi everyone; I just happened on this thread while I was browsing in cruise critic. I love to read, but mostly I listen to books on my ipod. Right now I am listening to Diana Gabaldons Outlander. When I finish this one should I read them in a certain order? I also went back and listened to Prince of tides, before I go into the longer books by Conroy. I just found out that Barbara Taylor Brandford will be in Tucson on Thursday for a book signing and talks about her other books. I am thinking of going. I am really glad I found this thread. It is really helpful when you are wondering what to read next. Donna

Hi!!!

If you go to Barbara Taylor Bradford's booksigning, could you please, please find something out for me. I want sooooo much to find out if BTB's Woman of Substance trilogy is EVER going to come out for Kindle and/or audiobook. I want them soooooooooooooo badly.

Thank you!!!

If you don't go, do you happen to know the answer to the above? <g>

I hope that I can attend the book signing. It is for Breaking the rules. I think Women of Substance is out on CD but as yet they don't have it on Audible or Kindle. I will try and find out when I go. I know audible has Breaking the rules, The Ravenscar Dynasty, Emma's Secret, A Sudden change of Heart, and a few more. They have more on Kindle. Donna

Edited by Bojangles
spelling

I hope that I can attend the book signing. It is for Breaking the rules. I think Women of Substance is out on CD but as yet they don't have it on Audible or Kindle. I will try and find out when I go. I know audible has Breaking the rules, The Ravenscar Dynasty, Emma's Secret, A Sudden change of Heart, and a few more. They have more on Kindle. Donna

Hi, Donna,

Thank you. Yes, I know about the other books, but I want soooo badly to own the Woman of Substance books for my Kindle. Those are my favorites.

Hi, Jim,

I'm still here, but I haven't started any new books to mention. Well, I am reading more books but all in the M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin "line." I'm enjoying them and having fun listening in the car and around the house.

How about you? Anything exciting audio wise or in your Sony? Did you finish South of Broad?

I'm in excited cruise mode again! We're cruising on Independence of the Seas in December with our son (during semester break) and long-time friends of ours. I can't wait!!!

Hi, Jim,

I'm still here, but I haven't started any new books to mention. Well, I am reading more books but all in the M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin "line." I'm enjoying them and having fun listening in the car and around the house.

How about you? Anything exciting audio wise or in your Sony? Did you finish South of Broad?

I'm in excited cruise mode again! We're cruising on Independence of the Seas in December with our son (during semester break) and long-time friends of ours. I can't wait!!!

Great for you!!! You need to update your cruising history on your signature. I have finished South of Broad, good but not as good as Beach Music. Listened to a couple of others but def. not your type of books. Dean Koontz and am in a very different Nevada Barr book now (not an Anna Pigeon mystery), the jury is still out on this one.

We participated in the naming ceremony for the Carnival Dream in NY this past week. Got to stay on the ship for a TA function sleepover and be present for the naming ceremony with the godmother Marcia Gay Harden (the actress), all the Carnival big wigs were there. Open bar and a wild crazy night, it was a blast.

Nothing scheduled for cruising for us till August (still trying to talk the wife into another one in the interim).

Jim

Great for you!!! You need to update your cruising history on your signature. I have finished South of Broad, good but not as good as Beach Music. Listened to a couple of others but def. not your type of books. Dean Koontz and am in a very different Nevada Barr book now (not an Anna Pigeon mystery), the jury is still out on this one.

We participated in the naming ceremony for the Carnival Dream in NY this past week. Got to stay on the ship for a TA function sleepover and be present for the naming ceremony with the godmother Marcia Gay Harden (the actress), all the Carnival big wigs were there. Open bar and a wild crazy night, it was a blast.

Nothing scheduled for cruising for us till August (still trying to talk the wife into another one in the interim).

Jim

Wow! That's great about Carnival Dream and the big party you were at. How is the Dream? Would you say it's your favorite, or are you partial to other ships?

What do you mean you are trying to talk your wife into a cruise??? Talk her INTO a cruise? Huh? My husband has to talk me OUT of wanting to cruise all the time because we have to do stupid stuff like working to pay the bills. Imagine!

Yes, I'll change my signature. I thought about that last night, actually ...

Wow! That's great about Carnival Dream and the big party you were at. How is the Dream? Would you say it's your favorite, or are you partial to other ships?

What do you mean you are trying to talk your wife into a cruise??? Talk her INTO a cruise? Huh? My husband has to talk me OUT of wanting to cruise all the time because we have to do stupid stuff like working to pay the bills. Imagine!

Yes, I'll change my signature. I thought about that last night, actually ...

Well I don't really have to talk her into a cruise, just the paying for the cruise part. Our last two kids are getting married next year......so. We'll see. I will reserve my final decision about which may favorite class is until we sail her in August. Certainly not a contender for Oasis or Epic in regards to size, but the biggest Carnival will ever build. The interior is toned down as well which I really liked. The Spirit class (their were 4) is currently my favorite. About 1/3 smaller, they are a panamax size (they can go through the canal). Not to big and not too small.

Well I don't really have to talk her into a cruise, just the paying for the cruise part. Our last two kids are getting married next year......so. We'll see. I will reserve my final decision about which may favorite class is until we sail her in August. Certainly not a contender for Oasis or Epic in regards to size, but the biggest Carnival will ever build. The interior is toned down as well which I really liked. The Spirit class (their were 4) is currently my favorite. About 1/3 smaller, they are a panamax size (they can go through the canal). Not to big and not too small.

Oh, the PAYING for the cruise part? I HATE that part. It always gets in the way of what I WANT to do <g>. If it weren't for that tiny detail, I'd be cruising a heck of a lot more.

One thing I'm particularly excited about now is cruising in December. We have never done that. I've read that the ship will be decorated for Christmas. I am a Christmas nut, so I will be in my glory there.

Oh, the PAYING for the cruise part? I HATE that part. It always gets in the way of what I WANT to do <g>. If it weren't for that tiny detail, I'd be cruising a heck of a lot more.

One thing I'm particularly excited about now is cruising in December. We have never done that. I've read that the ship will be decorated for Christmas. I am a Christmas nut, so I will be in my glory there.

I imagine it would be special seeing it all decorated. We have not done that either. Don't travel much that time of year. Last year I drove with my daughter from CT down to San Antonio Texas (she was a traveling nurse and needed to get her and her car down there). I flew back. This was the 2nd week in December. We noticed that some hotels were decorated and others not. It was kind of weird.

Jim

I imagine it would be special seeing it all decorated. We have not done that either. Don't travel much that time of year. Last year I drove with my daughter from CT down to San Antonio Texas (she was a traveling nurse and needed to get her and her car down there). I flew back. This was the 2nd week in December. We noticed that some hotels were decorated and others not. It was kind of weird.

Jim

OMG. I remember when you mentioned that. Last year??? Where HAS this year gone? That is really freaky because I remember you talking about driving your daughter like it was yesterday. That doesn't mean I'm getting older, does it? Oh, please say no :)

OMG. I remember when you mentioned that. Last year??? Where HAS this year gone? That is really freaky because I remember you talking about driving your daughter like it was yesterday. That doesn't mean I'm getting older, does it? Oh, please say no :)

as long as it means the same to me...:)

LOL....100%

BTW, did you see Oasis on GMA this morning? WOW!

If it was not so darned expensive to sail on!!!:(

Of course I saw it, Jim <g>. Luckily I'm working at home today, so I could watch it ... and, of course, DVR it, too.

So what did you think? I love the boardwalk area and the water shows. That reminds me of growing up on Long Island and going to Jones Beach Theater. Sigh!

Of course I saw it, Jim <g>. Luckily I'm working at home today, so I could watch it ... and, of course, DVR it, too.

So what did you think? I love the boardwalk area and the water shows. That reminds me of growing up on Long Island and going to Jones Beach Theater. Sigh!

Well as you know I am a real CCL fan. That being said, I would love to go the Oasis to see it first hand. All of the features are really nice, stunning in design and certainly have a GEE WHIZ factor. 7 different neighborhoods actually blows my mind. Zip lining down the middle open part of the ship... it goes on and on. If only it were not so expensive, almost double a seven day by comparison (maybe a little high but close enough). The other thing that will either be proved to be or not to be a factor is 6,500 people (double occupancy based, lord know how many if there were quads), is the ship big enough to hide them all (above and beyond what you have with say 3,000 on a 130,000 ton ship)? Getting on and off at a port, I hope they have 5 or 6 points open. I doubt they could do a tender port... and the biggest wow factor is 1.4 BILLION to build....gulp.

I hope it works, and yes I would def try it...it is truely a marvel!

I hope everyone here had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I cooked too much and ate too much. I guess that means it was a success :)

Back to my routine today of reading and getting ready for my cruise that's quickly approaching!

I hope everyone here had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I cooked too much and ate too much. I guess that means it was a success :)

Back to my routine today of reading and getting ready for my cruise that's quickly approaching!

Same here, thanks for asking! Actually almost over it. We went over to my wife's sister house for Thanksgiving and having our (here at the house) today for our family. Glad you enjoyed as well. Between now and New years always very hectic for us!