eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww

Reminds me of when I worked in one restaurant (long closed) where they would take the leftover rolls from the breadbasket, the ones that people had picked over, and toss them back into the warming drawer to recycle and use again.

Sometimes I still get flashbacks when someone puts out a breadbasket.

Lots of yucky stuff goes on in this world.

Reminds me of when I worked in one restaurant (long closed) where they would take the leftover rolls from the breadbasket, the ones that people had picked over, and toss them back into the warming drawer to recycle and use again.

Sometimes I still get flashbacks when someone puts out a breadbasket.

Lots of yucky stuff goes on in this world.

LOL!! Maybe there IS something to the saying, "Ignorance is bliss"! :D I'm the kind of person who KNOWS yucky stuff goes on, but I just don't want to know about it!:D

Marci22, we must have worked in the same restaurant!

We've never gotten sick from a hotel room, but taking along a few wipes

and plastic cups just in case doesn't sound like a bad idea.

usually they have the plastic liners that go inside the bucket. If they don't, I ask house cleaning to bring me one asap!

By the way, is anybody's mouth watering right about now? I think my dinner is about to make another appearance !:eek::o:D

Sorry, couldn't resist!!: 1.gif

I have no experience working in hotels, but from my restaurant days I have seen too many things I just refuse to think about to stay sane. One tip: Never ever send something back to the kitchen. I don't care how much I spend on a meal, if it's not done right, I deal with it without complaint. :(

I have no experience working in hotels, but from my restaurant days I have seen too many things I just refuse to think about to stay sane. One tip: Never ever send something back to the kitchen. I don't care how much I spend on a meal, if it's not done right, I deal with it without complaint. :(

Why, will the cook spit in the food or something??:eek: :D

Why, will the cook spit in the food or something??:eek: :D

Yep. And never, ever, ever be rude to your server. I saw some pretty gross things as a teen working in restaurants.

And on that same note, if you stiff a server, they will remember you. No matter how long it is until you come back.

Dr. Phil once had a guest who was proud of the fact that she bullied waiters/waitresses. Dr. Phil said, "Well I used to work in a restaurant, and I can assure you that you've eaten a whole lot of snot."

I heard similar tales when I was a hostess in a very popular restaurant many years ago.

I don't think it's really that bad to send something back, as long as you're polite about it. Of course, as I think about it, a lot of the restaurants I go to have "open" kitchens, where the diners can actually watch the cooks preparing the food. That probably greatly reduces the chances of someone tampering with your dinner. I'm pretty easy going, though, so I rarely send anything back. My wife does occasionally, because she prefers her salad with dressing on the side, and that's a request that seems to get missed from time to time.

I think that most waiters will treat you at least as well as you treat them. If you're rude and nasty to them, you might get a little back (either in attitude or in your "specially" prepared dish, served with a smile). Others will just put up with it in as nice a manner as possible, and then gripe about you after you leave.

Okay, this post is really gross! But to look at it another way - I've never used the glasses in the rooms, especially the bathroom for a different reason. I've read before that when you flush the toilet and don't close the lid, a super-fine mist of what you just flushed down gets in the air and settles on everything within about 10 feet!:eek: It always blows my mind when I see the coffee pot in the bathroom. So, think about what else could be in your morning cup of joe and on your toothbrush!:D

I never use the glasses in a hotel room. Didn't use them before (just suspicious) and definitely won't use them now.

I've heard that same thing about a flushing toilet, too. A coffee maker in the bathroom is just gross anyway. How about the coffee pot? It's probably just as nasty being in the bathroom. Or, if it isn't used much, it gets hairspray residue, dust and other "crap" on it!

I've always heard the "standard" for a housekeeper is to leave the room with no indication that anyone has been there before. (No stray hairs, no crumbs, no anything).

The things that they do leave behind are things we don't always see.

Has anyone ever noticed the dust/lint on the carpet all around the edges of the cabin floor - on any cruise ship? Once a month, they need to get the little attachment and suck that off.

On Mariner of the Seas, I found a bag of souvenir t-shirts in the closet when I first got there. On Serenade, in a suite, I found eyeliner - not my color! :)

When the person said they check the mattress edges, what are they checking?

Sorry for my random thoughts!

SeaBreezy

All I can say is we should all be dead by now as much traveling as we all do. Not going to let it bother me too much.

This from someone that on a canoe trip to Canada when I was in the Explorer Scouts stirred the kool aid (referred to as bug juice) with a canoe paddle and made pie dough on the bottom of a canoe.

Were you making bug juice in a garbage can? How the heck do you stir kool aid with a canoe paddle? In college, spiked bug juice in a garbage can was called "Hunch Punch".

Thanks to Cruise Critic I faithfully shake the headboard of any hotel bed and then closely inspect the seams of the mattresses:eek: Now I have a new job to do as I enter the room.

We will NOT be using any glasses' date=' just bottled or canned for us, after we wipe down EVERYTHING![/quote']

I don't get what shaking the headboard will do except kick up dust. What's on the seams of the mattresses? I mean I know stains and stuff could be there, but it should be covered with a clean sheet at least!

We used cooking kits in the scouts that had fairly large pots that were large enough to get a regular canoe paddle in.

We called it bug juice because there were always gnats flying around and some committed suicide in the kool aid. We just figured it added a little protein to the drink.

Now to really get everyone's attention, read the information here:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/murmurs/archives/2006/20060120_desk.html

Okay... this is starting to give us in the service industry a bad name and its unfair. I'm a server right now and I would never do anything to your food if you sent it back, and neither would anyone else who works in my restaurant. I can say that with confidence, and I trust my team.

Yes, if you were a jerk about it I'd grumble about it in the back, but what do I really care in the long run?! Is it really my fault that your food was under/over cooked, or that you didn't know there was onions on it?! Why get testy with me over it??

I've never spit/done anything to peoples' food, and never would.

This is not a universal restaurant/hotel/cruise ship thing. You people who are making it out to be are being unfair to the rest of us.

Okay... this is starting to give us in the service industry a bad name and its unfair. I'm a server right now and I would never do anything to your food if you sent it back, and neither would anyone else who works in my restaurant. I can say that with confidence, and I trust my team.

Yes, if you were a jerk about it I'd grumble about it in the back, but what do I really care in the long run?! Is it really my fault that your food was under/over cooked, or that you didn't know there was onions on it?! Why get testy with me over it??

I've never spit/done anything to peoples' food, and never would.

This is not a universal restaurant/hotel/cruise ship thing. You people who are making it out to be are being unfair to the rest of us.

I would be willing to bet that most servers would not ever do anything to anyones' food, particularly if it's just been sent back to the kitchen for adjustment. I don't believe it's a universal thing.

But people who do this are definitely out there, just as there are spiteful people in every profession who are a disgrace to their colleagues.

As long as you know in your heart that you are doing the right thing, you can't let the fact that others mention that it happens elsewhere bother you.

As far as restaurants go.When sending food back,its usually not the server who would do something.Unless you were very rude with them.

Its the cook that you insult by sending it back thats likely (or have more reason to)..

Having spent 25 as Operations Manager/Managing Partner in a major fast food system...I can honestly say I have never seen anyone do anything..Short of one kid who picked a bun up off the floor and was going to use it...And if theres any business where you would think that would happen,thats it...Probably the only place you could have food thrown at you,or get cussed out for a pickle on a hamburger..We even had a young lady hit by a car when taking out an order (intentionally and was prosecuted and convicted) because she had to wait 2 minutes for a 30 dollar fast food order...Anyway...most people would never dream of doing something...But you can bet there are some!!!

And for anyone who thinks we are a bunch of germaphobes for being worried about this..

True..It may not kill you...But then again,who knows...Who knows where anyone with a weakened immune system picks up the germ that finally does them in...IE folks with diabetes,Kidney disease,Leukemia,young children,elderly,pregnant women, etc etc etc....Not to mention the always present Norwalk....(who wants that, healthy or not?)and now the increase of deadly..yes deadly,had a kid here in Houston die..From complications off staph....the flesh eating strain..

Sick people have a right to eat and drink,and healthy people have a right to expect the same,without being exposed to millions of harmful pathogens..Just think of the rampant outbreaks of minor illness could be prevented just from business doing things right.

There are just somethings that hand washing wont fix :eek:

We even had a young lady hit by a car when taking out an order (intentionally and was prosecuted and convicted) because she had to wait 2 minutes for a 30 dollar fast food order...Anyway...most people would never dream of doing something...But you can bet there are some!!!

Wow!:eek: Did the jerk express any regret or remorse? Was it some kind of situation where they just went off the deep end because of other things that had nothing to do with that moment? Or was this just a mean vindictive person?

I hope the young lady recuperated completely.

She was sentenced to 10 years,but will probably be out next year.She was sentenced in 03

The woman offered no defense other than her foot slipped off the gas when putting catsup on her burger..(her claim was that she was denied mayo for her burger).But did not help her case when she had already thrown one burger at an employee though the window.

Archived