Upgrades at the Port?

chrisn

Almost never, and they will post the old sign on the pursers desk saying that the ship is sailing full to keep people from asking. :)

But, people ask anyway. As you say, on every cruise I've ever been on, there have been signs saying the ship was full and that no upgraders were possible, at any price. The cruise lines move heaven and earth in the last few weeks to sell those last few cabins, calling past cruisers and TA's offering great deals.

From what I've heard, when there are cabins available, which happens on some of the less popular itineraries or at off-peak periods, the upgrades are sold at straight list price, meaning your upgrade costs the difference between the list price for the category you're in and the list price of the category you want to be in. No savings, at all. But then, I've never actually seen it happen.

But, people ask anyway. As you say, on every cruise I've ever been on, there have been signs saying the ship was full and that no upgraders were possible, at any price. The cruise lines move heaven and earth in the last few weeks to sell those last few cabins, calling past cruisers and TA's offering great deals.

From what I've heard, when there are cabins available, which happens on some of the less popular itineraries or at off-peak periods, the upgrades are sold at straight list price, meaning your upgrade costs the difference between the list price for the category you're in and the list price of the category you want to be in. No savings, at all. But then, I've never actually seen it happen.

You have hit this one perfectly. If, by chance there are any cabins available in the upper categories, which isn't often, you will pay list price for them to upgrade. You can get a much better deal trying to find a good price on something higher in category a few weeks before you sail.

Some cruise lines do upsells at the pier, like RCI, but Princess does not.

Princess, with the help of the Upgrade Fairy will usually give upgrades to people in lower categories to fill up the upper ones. On our Panama Canal cruise last Thanksgiving, we met a couple that learned of their upgrade when they checked in. They did not pay extra for it.

I agree with Toto, Princess doesn't sell upgrades at the pier.

Think about it... by the day of the cruise most of the good cabins are sold or people received complimentary upgrades already. The cabin inventory they have left at that point probably isn't anything you'd want anyways.

Princess, with the help of the Upgrade Fairy will usually give upgrades to people in lower categories to fill up the upper ones. On our Panama Canal cruise last Thanksgiving, we met a couple that learned of their upgrade when they checked in. They did not pay extra for it.

Talking about asking for an upgrade at the pier, not a comp upgrade. :)

Archived