Phoenix to Long Beach Terminal Questions

trinitysmom

I am booked on the 11/19 Carnival Paradise sailing out of Long Beach. We are not planning to leave Phoenix until 7am the morning of the cruise b/c the kennel where our dog is staying isn't open on Sunday. Will we be ok to board the ship by 4:30pm if we leave PHX at 7am? Online directions say it will take 6:45 to get there but we will gain an hour (I think) when we cross the CA border from AZ, so that give us 10.5 hours. Not sure how bad traffic will be on a Monday afternoon the week of Thanksgiving. Any help is appreciated!

I am booked on the 11/19 Carnival Paradise sailing out of Long Beach. We are not planning to leave Phoenix until 7am the morning of the cruise b/c the kennel where our dog is staying isn't open on Sunday. Will we be ok to board the ship by 4:30pm if we leave PHX at 7am? Online directions say it will take 6:45 to get there but we will gain an hour (I think) when we cross the CA border from AZ, so that give us 10.5 hours. Not sure how bad traffic will be on a Monday afternoon the week of Thanksgiving. Any help is appreciated!

Personally, I'd bite the bullet a little on costs, bring the dog into the kennel on Saturday (I don't know what the going rate is in Phoenix, but here we pay $20 per day)...

Then I'd get a nice hotel in Long Beach and drive in on Sunday...at my leisure...You might find a hotel with a parking deal...But Long Beach hotels can be fairly reasonably priced anyway...

We've done LA to Phoenix in as little as 5:30 and as much as 8+ hours (stops for gas, bathrooms, meals)...

And you really cannot judge what sort of traffic you will hit on a Monday...

If you drive in Monday, you may find yourself stressed the whole way...And you'll be tired when you start your cruise...

If you drive in on Sunday, you can take your time, stop for lunch, and still get into Long Beach early...You can check into your hotel, have a nice dinner, get a good night's sleep...even sleep in a little on Monday...and go to the ship RELAXED...

It's also a hedge against something going wrong--like car problems or other issue...

Kennel your dog as planned, and fly. You can fly into Long Beach airport inexpensively, and arrive fresh (about an hour flight) and on-time without having to mess with unpredictable traffic and risk missing your cruise. When you compare the cost of flying with the wear and tear on you and your car, plus gas, it will be pretty much a wash.

Another vote for driving the day before or maybe flying in early Monday.

The cost of the hotel and extra day at the kennel is worth the peace of mind. Travelling can be stressful when you are on a strict time table.

You are lucky our kennel is closed both Sat and Sun so even if we aren't leaving until Sun we have to take the dog in on Fri.

Archived