Tulum Mayan Ruins Excursion

E&B

My brother is taking my dad (84 years old) on a much needed vacation. They're traveling (I think) on the Feb 3rd Pearl out of Miami and stopping at Cozumel and Grand Cayman. My brother would very much like to do the Tulum Tour with my Dad (not so much my brother's first choice, but we all feel that that would be my Dad's first choce and he would not get the opportunity again), but we noticed it's a level 2 - moderate activity. My Dad is in fairly good shape for his age, but being 84 he's not all that steady walking (although he my take a cane if he thinks it's needed) and my brother is worried that this may be too much for him.

I did a tour of Tulum almost 20 years ago, and while I do remember climbing the ruins, I think I've heard that that is no longer allowed, and perhaps there's the possibility that this won't be too much for my Dad after all. Has anyone been recently (my recollection is foggy) and can give me an idea if this would be a good tour for them, or just not feasible for a senior?

My brother is taking my dad (84 years old) on a much needed vacation. They're traveling (I think) on the Feb 3rd Pearl out of Miami and stopping at Cozumel and Grand Cayman. My brother would very much like to do the Tulum Tour with my Dad (not so much my brother's first choice, but we all feel that that would be my Dad's first choce and he would not get the opportunity again), but we noticed it's a level 2 - moderate activity. My Dad is in fairly good shape for his age, but being 84 he's not all that steady walking (although he my take a cane if he thinks it's needed) and my brother is worried that this may be too much for him.

I did a tour of Tulum almost 20 years ago, and while I do remember climbing the ruins, I think I've heard that that is no longer allowed, and perhaps there's the possibility that this won't be too much for my Dad after all. Has anyone been recently (my recollection is foggy) and can give me an idea if this would be a good tour for them, or just not feasible for a senior?

It feasible for a senior. Its pretty flat once you get there. It mostly time on the bus. Yes the ground is uneven...its a ruin after all but it has paths and is well marked. As always the hawkers will be the biggest problem...We didn't significantly climb but I am sure if there is any climbing he can just wait.

2631083210060502137S500x500Q85.jpg

Here a picture of Tulum that shows the nice paths that they have for walking. When we were there almost 4 years ago, they didn't permit climbing on any of the ruins. My BIL was just getting over a really bad gout attack, and he was able to keep up with the tour and didn't have much trouble walking around.

I would recommend a cane, just for stability. The other suggestion I would make is to see if there is any sort of light-weight stool that they could pack and take along. I don't remember much place to sit and rest. If it's hot and humid which Tulum frequently is, I know my Mom would have needed a place to sit for a few minutes while she listened to the tour guide's explanation of the various temples. February may be a great time to be there, however. We were there the middle of January, and it was cloudy and overcast which made it very comfortable temperature wise.

The other thing they will probably want to do is make sure they've got some dollar bills along so they can take the tram that runs from the parking lot to the entrance. By riding that, it will save them at least a mile of walking.

Jusdt remember it is a long bus ride. When we did this last a few years back the roads weren't very good and the bus wasn't airconditioned. but the times have changed, better roads and airconditioned buses. Have a good time. I don't think you can climb the main ruins anymore. :)

I took the tour last year, and although it was not a problem for me at age 60, I would hesitate recommend it for an 84 year old unless he was unusually fit.

First, you have to take a lengthy (30 to 45 minutes) ferry ride across the bay from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen to get to the bus that takes you to Tulum. If there's any wind the water can be very rough, and even seasoned sailors like my wife and I were on the verge of sea sickness. Also if you have to board or debark the ferry at low tide , it make require some physical agility, depending on which boat you're on. After you get off the ferry, it is probably about a half mile walk to the bus loading area, and I recall much of the way having to walk over cobblestones, which could be daunting for someone who needs a cane.

The bus ride itself is rather long, but included a stop on the way to Tulum at a souvenir store run by Mayans. On a positive note, the store did have reasonable bathroom facilities.

Once you arrive at Tulum, it is lengthy walk from the bus terminal area to the actual entrance to the ruins. As I recall, you can pay an additional fee to be taken to the entrance by tram. Even after you enter though, the walk is somewhat tricky to actually get through the brush to the open plain where the ruins sit. The ruins themselves are spread over a fairly wide area, which means more walking.

Upon our return to Playa Del Carmen, there were hundreds of people jammed into the terminal area, waiting on line for the ferries returning to Cozumel. By that time you can be pretty tired from the long day, and the last thing you want is to wait on line for up to an hour.

I thoroughly enjoyed Tulum itself, but I doubt I could have done the excursion at 84.

Paul

Hmmm I don't remember a lot of hills to walk, but when DH and I went in November of last year it was HOTTTT!!!! I don't mean mildly, I mean... standing in the shade, doing nothing, yet sweat drips down your back and neck HOTTTT!!! That's the only issue I could see arising for a senior citizen, because heck it was hard on me.

Also remember a rather lengthy walk up to the ruins, from the place where the bus lets you off. Other than that, it's a fun trip and very enjoyable! :D

Archived