Dressing kids for fall cruise

newcruisemom

Hi - we are vacationing on a Eastern Caribbean cruise in December. I was wondering how the weather will be at that time? Can anyone tell me if they packed pants as well as shorts for their kids or did they find that all their kids wore were shorts? Thanks!

We cruised a decade ago in Dec. All of our pics show us in shorts, so I'm guessing it was warm, but I honestly can't remember.

We are also cruising this Dec. with our DD4. I am packing summer clothes for her, but also a few pairs of pants and a jacket & sweater. It will be chilly on the ship (the air conditioning is usually very cold). I would follow the weather on a website before you leave to narrow down the wardrobe, but I'd bet on summer-like temps.

Caribbean will be in the 80s but the interior of the ship will be cold due to the a/c. Personally I always wear shorts on Port days and pants on sea days, but for my son I will have in wear shorts during the day since he is a hot baby.

We will be there at the same time. The girls are bringing shorts, capris and sundresses. Even with the temperatures here lately (in the 30s & 40s) you can't get my DS out of shorts, so he'll be bringing shorts. I am having them all wear pants on the plane, so they have one pair.

As it's gets closer, just do a google search for the current weather forecast for where you will be traveling. Should help you make a final decision.

Sorry it's so cold where you are. My son is also still wearing his shorts everyday. Of course it's still in the 80s here in sunny hot but at least not quite as humid south Florida. If you are sailing out of Port Everglades or the Port of Miami I can tell you right now the weather is in the 80s. Could if we are lucky have a day or two with a high in the 70s before my cruise. I'm actually hoping for it so I can fertilize the grass.

Usually the weather is warm enough in the Caribbean. However, in December, it can be hit or miss, especially in the northern part of the itinerary (Castaway Cay).

Early December last year, in the Caribbean, it was really cool. The highs barely hit 70 degrees. We wore shorts because we were determined to (We are from snow country), but much of the time, we needed pants and a light jacket to go walking outside. Just bring along some warmer clothes, and then hope you don't have to use them. ;)

Usually the weather is warm enough in the Caribbean. However, in December, it can be hit or miss, especially in the northern part of the itinerary (Castaway Cay).

Early December last year, in the Caribbean, it was really cool. The highs barely hit 70 degrees. We wore shorts because we were determined to (We are from snow country), but much of the time, we needed pants and a light jacket to go walking outside. Just bring along some warmer clothes, and then hope you don't have to use them. ;)

Wow really. I guess we weren't quite as far North as castaway cay and it was mid Dec but it was pretty hot. But I did manage to fertilize in the beginning of Dec last year so a front might have made it through. Those things barely make it through the state didn't think they'd make it over to the islands.

You can look at the dates of my cruises. Except for NCL they were all Eastern Caribbean I never wore long pants. Fantasy was Bahamas including Nassau which is slightly North of Castaway Cay so it shows you it can be a little hit and miss.

We cruised this past December and I can tell you it was HOT once we go there. But Florida was cold (in the 50's). And at night, I dressed the girls up in dresses with matching coats (or long sleeves). It was really chilly to me at night. Not on the deck of the ship but inside the ship.

Here's the type of dresses they wore at night on that December cruise. Lots of velvet with tights.

Cruise-06MoGab-1.jpg

Cruise-06-1.jpg

We've cruised in November before. It was a few years ago and I remember that it was really raining and chilly. We wound up buying sweatshirts.

The temperature can really fluctuate on a cruise in the fall. Plus the inside of the ships especially the dining rooms can get chilly from the AC.

We are going on a cruise to the South Carribean later this week and I packed my 7 yr old shorts and tops that can mix and match. Along with a couple of pairs of jeans/pants to sub in if it is cold.

For dinner, she has dresses, but I packed tights and sweaters to go over them if necessary.

I usually pack a few sweats outfits or tops and leggings for her to wear at night to the Kids club.

At least her clothes are small!

Michelle your girls are adorable.

I'm just about done shopping for my son's cruise clothes. Definetly all long pants and long sleeves at night and shorts and short sleeves during the day but I'll bring a couple of pairs of jeans to throw on just in case.

I'm not sure what to have him sleep in since he won't sleep under the covers and won't wear footies. I don't have 7 pairs of blanket sleepers because we never have 7 cold days in a row here and if we did I'd do laundry.

...and remember that if you're going on a RCCL ship w/ice skating rink they will need socks and long pants for this and socks for inline skating (my kids wore long pants for this too) and rock climbing. Usually though they lived in shorts (or swim trunks) and flip flops.

Archived