Scattering ashes in Hobart?

Janan

Hi all,

I've tried everywhere I could possibly think of to get my answer...so I'm turning to people who live in and around Hobart. My mom always wanted to go to Austrailia when she was alive....did alot of research but unfortunatley she never made it....she passed in 1999........Now I want to scatter her ashes in Austrailia and Tasmania seems very pictureque and a place that my mom really would have liked. Is there a proceedure I need to go through so I can do this? I've checked on the governments website (Tasmania) and maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything. I've e-mailed the government of Tasmania and have gotten no reply.....I want to do this by the book and I don't want to break any laws....so if someone could tell me how to do this or who to ask ...I'd appreciate it.

One other favor....Assuming I can do this...does anybody have any suggestions as to where? A beautiful spot that you might know of?

Thanks,

Andy

Why don't you try the Australian Quarantine Service? The Tasmanian government is not responsible for what is brought into the country. Here is a link:

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/about/contact

There are some spectacular cliffs and beaches on the East Coast of Tasmania.

It might be just me but don't you think you would be better scattering her ashes somewhere that she has been to and liked or some place closer to home. Tasmania is a really pretty place but it doesn't seem to have much connection with your mother.

A beautiful spot not that far from Hobart is down past Kettering on the Channel Highway. It is not that far from Hobart - about a 40 minute or so drive - and there are lovely spots to stop off and view the channel from there. Afterwards, you could have lunch at the lovely Peppermint Bay restaurant overlooking the water.

I am not sure of the regulations in bringing in ashes, though I have seen an episode on Border Patrol (T.V) where someone was bringing in their parent's ashes. I am not sure what the outcome was in that particular case. Our customs and quarantine laws are very strict and I wouldn't do anything unless you have written permission from them otherwise they will take them off you and you may never see them again.

Jennie

Check with your airline too, as I needed to produce a certificate from the crematorium and a death certificate to transport ashes on a flight. It was a European flight, but I am sure they all operate similar procedures throughout the world.:)

I do not know the size of the container that would house her ashes so my answer may be useless. However, it can't be too hard to smuggle a small box on in your luggage. It also can not be too hard to take a small box off the ship with you in a large purse or a camera bag.

Since the ashes have been subjected to a very high temperature, there can not be any health hazard to them.

So, all you should have to do it to go to an appropriate place where where you can be alone and scatter them. Who would know besides you and your mother?

DON

According to the government website Ashes are not considered biological/human remains (go figure I guess the law just means bodies) thats why I'm unclear. I'll let you all know when I do. I have found a company that will get me all the permits; however I want to know what I need to pay for....I'm not just going to give away my money....they advertise doing (getting the permits for Austrailia) but if i can just do it...why pay money so I want to research this more first...then I'll check out the company and I'll see if everything is on the up & up.

I'll let you all know what I find out Thanks for the suggestions on where to do this...keep'em coming

oh BTW Happy Thanksgiving!

Andy

HAPPY THANSGIVING!!!!

I got a response from the Quarantine service and basically they said I need to keep checking the site (the link they gave me to my specific question) and said There are no permits needed at this time ....but check with the Austrailian Governement maybe they have some. So although the quarantine service gave me some good news ...I still have some homework to do I'll keep you all posted. Anyother vbeautiful places I might go to do this in Hobart (or right outside of Hobart)?

Archived