Decisions,Decisions witha 16 year old

UK Cruiser2

We are looking at taking a cruise next year,our son will have just turned 16.We have just sailed Carnival Glory and he loved that.

We done Disney when he was younger.Now we fancy trying another line.

Any thoughts on any others eg Celebrity,HAL,Princess,RCI,etc etc.

Your thoughts on best to keep him interested.

He liked the freedom of hanging out with other teens on Glory,the 24 hour pizza place helped !

Keith. :)

My only experience is with Carnival and RCI - and either would be great, as long as he is into meeting new people.

The boys were especially busy on RCI -- we were on a Voyager ship, with tons of activities -- basketball, dodgeball, rock climbing, huge arcade.

All my teens liked every ship we've been on -Carnival, Disney, RCCl- the one they LOVED and BEGGED to go back on is Voyager class or better yet the new Freedom or Liberty of the Seas. The other ships were good but the Voyager/Freedom class have so many choices of activities that they never slowed down and that's what they like!

Our children are now in their 20's but we took them on cruises each year starting very young through their early 20's. This included a variety of cruise lines. I would not recommend HAL for a 16 year old. Of the ones you mention, RCL, Celebrity or Princess would be fine for a 16 year old. There will be a variety of activities for a 16 year old to participate in on each of these three cruise lines and there will likely be others his age. How many depends on the itinerary and the time of the year. Either of them would be fine.

Keith

I have cruised on many lines with two kids. For teens- Norwegian and Royal Caribbean and Carnival would be my choice.

I think Princess and Celebrity would not be good choices. Both lines are more geared to adults. The kids programs for the 3-10 age group are really good on Princess and Celebrity though. I have not done Holland America but I understand the ones with the "Oasis" are great. My friends teenager daughter loved the Oasis with the hammocks and teen hot tub area.

I have cruised on many lines with two kids. For teens- Norwegian and Royal Caribbean and Carnival would be my choice.

I think Princess and Celebrity would not be good choices. Both lines are more geared to adults. The kids programs for the 3-10 age group are really good on Princess and Celebrity though. I have not done Holland America but I understand the ones with the "Oasis" are great. My friends teenager daughter loved the Oasis with the hammocks and teen hot tub area.

For a 16 year old I wouldn't worry about kids programs. The key for them is if there are enough children their age to hang out with. As I say our children were 16 they made a number of friends on each of these cruise lines some of which they still keep up with to this day.

Keith

RCI has an awesome teen program. My son and daughter love it. The staff does a great job getting the teens to interact with each other. They are present at all events to oversee everything but allow the teens to feel like they are able to be themselves. This give the teens a sense that the teen club is "cool" and most spend every evening attending.

This was very different then the NCL cruise my teens did this year. It was more like "babysitting". Kids met up at the teen area but then chose to wander around the ship in groups.

Thanks for the replies.

Your right about not worrying about kids programmes for teens.When we sailed Glory in Oct he loved the hanging out bit in the arcade etc with his new found friends.

I'll take a look at RCI,NCL or maybe going with Carnival again.

Keith

I'd take a good look at RCCL as they have tons of options, especially on their newer ships. Look at the Voyager and Freedom classes. Arcades, ice skating, mini golf, rock walls, and on the Freedom class they have the Flowrider. They also have tons of adult options so you wouldn't be totally catering to the teenager and missing out on a great cruise experience yourself.

We have done two NCL cruises and are doing our second RCCL cruise on a Voyager class ship in February, specifically for our 17 y.o. son and his cousin. I would recommend the larger, newer ships because they have more for the teenagers to do. My son would never do an organized teen activity but he is very excited to get back on the Mariner so he can hang out on the Promenade, eat at Johnny Rockets and (hopefully) meet some girls to go to the shows with.

Barb

We are looking at taking a cruise next year,our son will have just turned 16...

I would take the RCCL Independence of the Seas out of Southampton to either the Med or Canary Islands. It probably is no more than 4 hours in the car from Newcastle which makes it really easy from a logistics perspective.

We did the Med trip last summer on Navigator (being replaced by Independence for 2008) and our kids loved it. The ship had hundreds kids of all ages and they all seemed to have a great time. Independence has all of the activities that your son will like - climbing wall, skating, flow rider, mini golf, lots of football/soccer, swimming, video games, etc.

I would take the RCCL Independence of the Seas out of Southampton to either the Med or Canary Islands. It probably is no more than 4 hours in the car from Newcastle which makes it really easy from a logistics perspective.

We did the Med trip last summer on Navigator (being replaced by Independence for 2008) and our kids loved it. The ship had hundreds kids of all ages and they all seemed to have a great time. Independence has all of the activities that your son will like - climbing wall, skating, flow rider, mini golf, lots of football/soccer, swimming, video games, etc.

That's just the trip we are looking at.Independance to Canaries in October.We can fly to Southampton in under an hour with Flybe I've flown this trip before and it's not expensive.

So it's looking more and more like Independance with RCL

Thanks,

Keith.:)

That's just the trip we are looking at.Independance to Canaries in October.We can fly to Southampton in under an hour with Flybe I've flown this trip before and it's not expensive.

So it's looking more and more like Independance with RCL

Thanks,

Keith.:)

Great! I am sure you'll be happy with this one with plenty of activities for everyone. I have thought about the Canary Island trip as well and have wondered what the weather on the way down south would be like. In our trip last summer from Southampton to the Med, the weather was gloomy the whole way south and similarly cloudy/misty on our last sea day of the return.

What are the luggage restrictions like on Flybe? I know they are better than Ryanair in terms of luggage, but you still might get slammed on excess fees depending on how your family packs for the trip.

Great! I am sure you'll be happy with this one with plenty of activities for everyone. I have thought about the Canary Island trip as well and have wondered what the weather on the way down south would be like. In our trip last summer from Southampton to the Med, the weather was gloomy the whole way south and similarly cloudy/misty on our last sea day of the return.

What are the luggage restrictions like on Flybe? I know they are better than Ryanair in terms of luggage, but you still might get slammed on excess fees depending on how your family packs for the trip.

The baggage allowance is 20kg for standard passengers, 30kg for Economy PLus.Economy Plus is more expensive but you get the extra baggage allowance.

Archived