HELP...Last Minute Illness

BillfromWV

My wife and children and some other friends are suppose to cruise on Liberty of the Seas on 11/17. My wife's mother has cancer and has gotten worse over the last few days having been hospitilized with probably mini strokes. Obviously my wife will not go on the cruise although she insist that the children and I go with the other members of our party. My question is, with two connecting cabins does there have to be an adult in each cabin or since the cabins are connecting can I be in the one cabin with the children in the connecting cabin. Also, if we can find someone to go with us, can we substitute that person for my wife's berth. Thanks for any insight anyone may have.

Bill

My wife and children and some other friends are suppose to cruise on Liberty of the Seas on 11/17. My wife's mother has cancer and has gotten worse over the last few days having been hospitilized with probably mini strokes. Obviously my wife will not go on the cruise although she insist that the children and I go with the other members of our party. My question is, with two connecting cabins does there have to be an adult in each cabin or since the cabins are connecting can I be in the one cabin with the children in the connecting cabin. Also, if we can find someone to go with us, can we substitute that person for my wife's berth. Thanks for any insight anyone may have.

Bill

I would call Royal and ask. Tell them whats going on. I see no problem. You have all ready paid. You can always tell them that one of the other party is going to stay in that cabin and then you can just switch again on your own.

All you have to do in this case (if you find another person to go) is to change the passenger name. There may be a charge, something like $35 to do so, I think you can change names up until 2-3 days before the cruise. If you have a travel agent, they should be able to take care of this for you, RCI will make no changes to a reservation made by a travel agent.

Edit to add, I'm not completely sure of the situation with the childrens cabin. I know we have made our ressies in the past with one adult, one child per cabin and just changed keys when we arrived. The cruise contract does state children can be in an adjacent cabin without adults, we've just always booked this way because it was easier.

We have booked DH and I in one cabin and our 2 teens in an adjoining (not connecting) cabin on Serenade and for our upcoming Independence cruise with no problem. Have also had them across the hall from us (booked that way). You should have no problem being in the next room.

I have heard others who have felt that couldn't be done, and I felt that way initialy as well, but after checking on it, I think it was in the way the TA interpreted RCIs policy and not in the policy itself.

Yep. If you have connecting cabins, they will not require an adult in each cabin. Sometimes, if children are only traveling with one parent, they might require proof of the other parent's permission, so you might try to have a notarized letter from your wife, just in case.

Call RCI or your travel agent ASAP if you want to add another person in place of your wife. It can be done, but there is a deadline to allow them to prepare an accurate passenger manifest.

BTW - RCI website says 24 hr for guest changes:

Q: Can I make changes to a guest listed on my reservation?

A: Names may be changed up to 24 hours prior to sailing provided one of the original names remains on the reservations.

Name changes will be subject to a $35 per guest fee if one of the following conditions exist:

Request is made less than 35 days prior to commencement of cruise vacation (inclusive of tours)

Cruise Only documents have been issued

Air Arrangements have been assigned and documents have been issued. Travel agents or guests should contact the Custom Air Desk for resolution of any incremental air charges encountered as a result of the change

Pre/Post Hotel arrangements have been assigned to the reservation

**Change fees are subject to change without notice.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000iL61HPQmB9OX-XvmmANrtFk:12h3g0fq2?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=245&faqSubjectId=329&faqType=faq

As Makingold said, you should have a notarized letter from your wife giving you permission to take the kids without her. I believe it is a required document but it is not necessarily always asked for. You should have it with you just in case.

As for the adult in each room, it's not required. We have cruised with our kids in the past and you don't need connecting cabins. They just need to be in the same same general area as yours.

RCI does NOT require one adult to be booked in each cabin. Children are allowed to be booked into their own cabin as long as the parent's cabin is within reasonable distance, and in the same lifeboat. I have booked by children across the hall and three cabins over, etc.

Too late to edit :(

I'm so sorry to hear of your MIL's illness and do hope for the best outcome for everyone. Times like this are tough, many of us have been through it before so we know the worry and pain.

Please let your wife know there are many caring people here who sympathize with her right now.

As Makingold said, you should have a notarized letter from your wife giving you permission to take the kids without her. I believe it is a required document but it is not necessarily always asked for. You should have it with you just in case.

As for the adult in each room, it's not required. We have cruised with our kids in the past and you don't need connecting cabins. They just need to be in the same same general area as yours.

That is not correct. Read RCCL 'Before you cruise'- Travel documents.

This only applies if you are not a parent or legal guardian of children traveling with you.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and advice. I am going to bring the notorized statement with us, just in case. It would be a real hassle if they wanted it and I did not have it with us. In today's world with feuding parents it is probably a good idea to have Judy's permission with us. We are trying to find someone to go with us, of course this is difficult given short notice. Thanks again.

Bill

RCI does NOT require one adult to be booked in each cabin. Children are allowed to be booked into their own cabin as long as the parent's cabin is within reasonable distance, and in the same lifeboat. I have booked by children across the hall and three cabins over, etc.

Ditto on this...that has been our arrangement with our 2 teen boy's the last 3 or 4 years with no problem whatsoever. :)

Bill

I wish you and your family all the best.

After further research...this is only required for international travel. The airlines (if you are flying to your departure port) are more likely to ask for it. I would have it as a precaution just in case the cruise line decides to ask for it

Bill

Definitely communicate with Royal Caribbean. You should be able to sustitute, as you have paid. In fact, considering the reason why your wife is not going, Royal Caribbean may give you a break with regards the deadline.

One question -- are your children old enough to stay alone in one cabin, even if two cabins are connected? Considering the possibility that at times the seas may be rough and moving around the cabin (to the bathroom, for the TV, etc.) may not be easy, perhaps this is something to think about. :confused:

Archived