Pirate Parade Rant in a Cruise Mag

crusinmama06

I just had to tell you all about this. In cruise travel magazine this month there is a Letter to the Editor that rants about the kids in the pirates parade on RCI cruises.

It says that RCI needs to stop parading "screaming children" through his dining room. :rolleyes:

I have never read just a ridiculous and selfish letter in my life. The pirate parade is 5 minutes (at most) through Late Seating. The kids look forward to it so much. And what does it hurt???? :rolleyes:

Yes I had to send a letter to the Editor back defending it. The guy said that the "Majority of RCI cruisers want the parade to stop" :eek: So not true!

I am 100% fine with the Pirate Parade.

Now, if we could just get the singing waiter thing to STOP.... That really annoys me! Long and very <snoooze> boring!

Put that into your letter to the editor!!! Please! I am positive that people would support that!

I have read this about the pirate parade and I witnessed some really mean people on Constellation in April of 2006- when the kids did an Easter parade by the pool. Some passengers just looked annoyed. I thought that was really cold.

I hope I never get so old that I detest kids the way some people do.

Having said that- most people do like well behaved children very much. My son was a hit on Millenium (granted there were only 30 kids on board) in 2005. He was in the magic act (he was 5) and from then on people were constantly saying "Hey, Marc!"- in the buffet, hallways and elevator. When we disembarked in Barcelona, people from cruise recognized him on the street and again it was "Hey, it's Marc! or "Hi, Marc!" Most of them were 60 and up. Very nice.

So, don't let those mean people rain on the kids' parades!

I also read that letter. What a crabapple (hey, it's the family forum, I'm being nice.)

Thank you for defending the parade to the editors. I think that parade is the cutest and I love seeing the kids. Truth be told, I bet most people do.

cruisinmama, have you thought about posting this on the RCI section to get an idea of what others think?

Wrona, fully agree about photographers. Who really wants a pix with all those dishes, glasses, etc on the table! :rolleyes:

Jeezzzz. This person (the one who wrote the letter) must be fun to be around on a cruise.:rolleyes:

I remember when my girl was really young and whenever there was one of the dinnertime parades, one of the waiters would swoop her up and take her along. On one cruise, a couple at the next table was celebrating their honeymoon. A waiter asked my girl if she can help them sing the happy honeymoon song, so she went over with him and "helped."

At first I was thinking Pirate Parade? What pirate parade. Then I read it was for late seating, we eat early. I have no idea why someone would waste the paper to write a complaint about such a thing.

Our last cruise there were 9 children total, felt sorry for the kids. They did a Halloween Costume parade, I swear the adults started following the kids they were so cute and at that point they were missing the sound of young ones.

OK, slight voice of dissent here. :D I remember the pirate parade on my first cruise when we didn't have the kids with us. It was cute, it was fun. The cruise that I just got off, my older son was in the parade--very cute, very fun! ;) HOWEVER, I watched the parade in the theatre and in the shop area. The chant they were saying talked about boogers and I think throwing up maybe. Don't remember exactly, but there were several gross references. I DON'T KNOW if they did this same thing in the dining room or not, but I would not be happy hearing that while eating. Really, I don't like hearing that type of thing anytime, but I have boys so I'm dealing. :p

I have heard about the Quincinera cruises out of Puerto Rico and how they will announce the names of the girls and their families during dinner. I can say that I wouldn't be too happy about that either.

cruisinmama, have you thought about posting this on the RCI section to get an idea of what others think?

No, cause you just KNOW there is bound to be drama following that post...lol. Some moron will step in and say kids shouldn't be on cruiseships. :rolleyes:

And as an update - I received an immediate response back from the editor. :D So look for my letter in the next edition. :p

OK, slight voice of dissent here. :D I remember the pirate parade on my first cruise when we didn't have the kids with us. It was cute, it was fun. The cruise that I just got off, my older son was in the parade--very cute, very fun! ;) HOWEVER, I watched the parade in the theatre and in the shop area. The chant they were saying talked about boogers and I think throwing up maybe. Don't remember exactly, but there were several gross references. I DON'T KNOW if they did this same thing in the dining room or not, but I would not be happy hearing that while eating. Really, I don't like hearing that type of thing anytime, but I have boys so I'm dealing. :p

Beth, the chant I've heard usually has references to stealing all your chocolate and the like. It's very cute. As I said I'm kidless and really appreciate adults only areas on ships, but there is just something about the pirates parade that always brings a smile to my face.

I have heard about the Quincinera cruises out of Puerto Rico and how they will announce the names of the girls and their families during dinner. I can say that I wouldn't be too happy about that either.

Beth,

I have read the Quincinera cruises can be brutal. I go to Quincinera's quite often due to my work force being from Mexico. It is a huge event for the girls, like a wedding. Actually in Mexico the grooms family pays for the wedding, so the Quincinera is what a family puts together for their daughter's coming of age.

Announcing names during dinner would not upset me but I understand how important such an event is to the family.

Ok, I have to tell you the truth here. I was actually a part of a Pirate's Parade on my last cruise with my 3 year-old son on the Celebrity cruise line. He couldn't be left alone in the kid's club so I was, kind of, dragged along.

I do have to admit, from a 37 year-old adult woman (with a three year-old son) perspective, that the pirate parade was a little obnoxious. I was kind of embarrassed. Clearly, there were people not liking it but the kids (actually the counselors) just kept yelling and chanting and having their fun. People were being dragged into it that didn't want any part of it. At one point the counselors brought us through the art auction. Definitely not appropriate!

Seriously, I almost wrote a comment about this, I was so embarrassed, and I'M A MOM!

On another note, I just read this response out loud to my husband. He said, "good grief, for five minutes on a cruise! The kids were having fun. Get over it."

To each his own.

Cheryl

The pirate parade was something my son really looked forward to on his last few cruises. In fact, after the first cruise he brought his own pirate costume ( from halloween). Last year was his final year in the 6-8 age group so he brought his Jack Sparrow costume ( wig and all!!!). He really felt special having a pirate costume from home... but it is not necessary!!!

As far as the chant... it goes through all the captains family members... Captains wife.. oh la la

captains daughter... buy me this and buy me that

captains son... ( some kind of cool kid phrase)

captains dog.. ( the kids lift their legs and say ...SSSsssssss)

then they chant something about walking the plank and finally ... this was brought to you by the letter "ARG"

So far, on any of my cruises I have not been bothered by the Pirate Parade (somehow I am always seated on the upper deck of the dining room at the far back). I don't think I would mind the Pirate Parade anywhere else on the ship, but in the dining room, I don't think so. There are so many other places on a ship that this would be more appropriate, like the Centrum or the Promenade. Don't disturb people enjoying their dinners, jmho.

I have not seen the pirate parade, but I hope to some day. I honestly hope the rants of a few individuals do not spoil it. It sounds really cute.

But I can tell you that one my very favorite moments from my first cruise was when the preschoolers came into the formal dining room and serenaded the diners with the ABC song. It brought tears to my eyes, and the moment will live forever in my memory.

In less than 5 minutes they were gone.

How sad to think that there are people who would actually get upset about ruining their dinner with something like that.

I would never waste my time writing a letter to a magazine complaining about such a simple thing. Obviously, this person has other problems. I have never heard of a Pirate parade, as I've only cruised Windstar which has no children's programs.

I have several children myself that I love dearly, but I have no wish to watch them parade or sing as I eat. I can get that at home! I also don't like singing waiters, mystery theater dinners, etc. I like to have fun, but that's just not my idea of having fun. We all can have our own opinions.

But, I certainly wouldn't let it spoil my meal. Probably just have a big drink of wine and hope it's over soon. Let the kids have their fun.

• Administrators
I just had to tell you all about this. In cruise travel magazine this month there is a Letter to the Editor that rants about the kids in the pirates parade on RCI cruises.

It says that RCI needs to stop parading "screaming children" through his dining room. :rolleyes:

I have never read just a ridiculous and selfish letter in my life. The pirate parade is 5 minutes (at most) through Late Seating. The kids look forward to it so much. And what does it hurt???? :rolleyes:

Yes I had to send a letter to the Editor back defending it. The guy said that the "Majority of RCI cruisers want the parade to stop" :eek: So not true!

Michele I thought about you and your girls when I read that letter. I also thought "ya old poop!" about its author (ala Katherine Hepburn). :) On a side note, I still love that magazine, which I've subscribed to since before there WAS an internet or a CC. I have all those back issues in binders, and sometimes when I want to find something (deck plans and such) it's so much fun to go rummage through them. The immediacy of the internet is nice, but there really is something "about" holding the magazine and seeing those beautiful photos -- I thought the article about what goes on during drydocking in the issue before last was great. I'll look forward to your rebuttal letter to the "old poop!" :D

The immediacy of the internet is nice, but there really is something "about" holding the magazine and seeing those beautiful photos -- I thought the article about what goes on during drydocking in the issue before last was great. I'll look forward to your rebuttal letter to the "old poop!" :D

That magazine is what got my 7 year old to want to cancel WDW and go on Liberty of the Seas. :D THat edition featuring LOS came in the mail and she was hooked on doing LOS. Gotta love a magazine that can do that...lol.

• 1 month later...
Cruisinmama--I saw that letter too! I just brushed it off as ANOTHER crabby cruiser.

It's my personal experience that there are more cranky old geezers on cruise ships than cranky kids! Really!

LOLOLOL:D

Ain't that the truth!

A few weeks ago on another line the kids club did a parade around the pool and they were applauded heartily! I hope my first cruise in 7 weeks on RCI won't be my last because of the cranky old geezers!

Winnie <----->won't rain on any kids parade

DH & I were on Empress of the Seas this past summer when we saw the Pirate Parade for the first time. We enjoyed it so much that we decided to book a Royal Caribbean family cruise. Our young family member will love taking part in the parade. RCCI can directly thank the Pirate Parade for attracting more bookings from our family!

The pirate parade was something my son really looked forward to on his last few cruises. In fact, after the first cruise he brought his own pirate costume ( from halloween). Last year was his final year in the 6-8 age group so he brought his Jack Sparrow costume ( wig and all!!!). He really felt special having a pirate costume from home... but it is not necessary!!!

As far as the chant... it goes through all the captains family members... Captains wife.. oh la la

captains daughter... buy me this and buy me that

captains son... ( some kind of cool kid phrase)

captains dog.. ( the kids lift their legs and say ...SSSsssssss)

then they chant something about walking the plank and finally ... this was brought to you by the letter "ARG"

I really wouldn't want to hear that during dinner or expose younger children to it ( ie mine!). Another poster referenced some other gross things they were saying. Maybe it's the language that people are unhappy about and not the Parade?

I'd have to blame the counselors for teaching them the songs.

Maybe if they cleaned it up it would keep all happy.

Archived