New York for first timer “The Review”

josephml1

New York for first timer “The Review”

First thank you very much for all the people who help me in all this process to know this amazing city.

Sorry for the delay I am very very busy at work.

Second sorry about my English but remember English is my second language.

“WHAT AN AMAZING CITY” All that we expect and more.

First day in NY…

We arrive at 11 am to JFK airport on Saturday our original plan was to take the subway to Manhattan, do some sightseeing and then take a taxi to the Brooklyn cruise terminal to take our cruise to NE/CA. (We make some arrangements so our luggage will arrive directly to the Brooklyn cruise terminal.

Bottom line, we get lost with the subway… That day we did not know exactly how does the subway work and why the subway did not stop at several stations.

We see all Manhattan underground… So, we get lost and when we see the time was almost 3 o clock almost time to take our cruise, so we decide to take a taxi to the cruise terminal.

We spend 7 magnificent day at NE/CA, when we depart from NY witch I Highly recommend we where able to see many famous tourist attractions like the statue of liberty, the empire state, south Manhattan and more.

First day in NY, Saturday, we buy the Unlimited 7 days Metrocard to use the subway; we learn how to use it and did not have any other problem so on…

We take the Grayline Double Decker Tour Bus…Excellent tour worth every penny, you will be able to see many sightseeing of NY ad the most important sites, 42nd St, Macy's, Ground Zero, Central Park, South St, Chinatown, Little Italy and then come back to the ones you like.

We stop at the Seaport pier and buy at the Tickets for tonight boot tickets to see the Phantom of the opera, we do some sightseeing in Times square and expend the rest of the day there, In the night we see the Phantom excellent play…

One day we went to the Guggenheim Museum and to the Natural history museum (do you remember the Movie a night at the museum… That’s the one), and see a show at the planetarium very nice experience witch I recommend to do it at list once.

On another day we visit the MET museum of art, WOW great museum, but the impressionist wing was closed ::L, we where able to catch an opera at the MET maddama butterfly.

That day we also went to the top of the Empire State building, very nice view but a little expensive and a little crowded.

About food Mmmhhh, We had amazing food in Little Italy, Chinatown also excellent bubble tea, Soho and we try many kind of street food very good and cheap greasy but good. (Sorry if I don’t remember about the Restaurants names)

We also had a Happy our in a bar named Crocodile Lounge (free pizza).

Shopping excellent shopping too, also you will find many and I said many brand names chinesse copy items (like DKNY, Gucci, Carolina Herrera, etc) very good copies and makes very good souvenirs…

What can I said you could spend 300 years in NY and never run out of things to do.

I definitive will come back very soon in a less expensive season.

Hope you find this review useful and if you have any question just let me know.

One more question Joseph, how was staying in Long Island City? Fine, right? I'm glad you went to Crocodile Lounge. You just can't beat the free pizza.

The hotel was regular, very accessible to the subway, but nothing around In my future stay I will try to stay in Manhattan...:)

I forgot to mention in my review I also went to the Madisson Square to see a Knicks game, The knicks won that game.

About the crocodile Lounge Yes, the free Pizza got my attention and it was very good.:D

Joseph:

Thanks for that wonderful review. I am originally form Ohio and now live in Maryland but New York is one of my favorite cities to visit. I try to visit 2 to 3 times a year. (It's only a 3 and a half to 4 hour ride from Maryland) Your thoughts are right on point as I was right there experiencing it as you described it.

I can also tell that you did your research as you took part in many of the major attractions. Food (restaurants and the street vendors), Shopping, Museums, Subway, People, etc. all make NYC an interesting place. I hope that you get another opportunity soon to visit as you will find, as I have, that no two trips to the "Big Apple" are alike.

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your review. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Yes, the subway can be confusing, but thank goodness you got to your cruise on time. :D Of course you are busy working, I notice how you are ready for another cruise, that costs money. ;)

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your review. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Yes, the subway can be confusing, but thank goodness you got to your cruise on time. :D Of course you are busy working, I notice how you are ready for another cruise, that costs money. ;)

That is Life you have to work hard 11 months to get only ONE month of vacations:( or 10 days every 6 months...

I got a very nice trip thank you for your comments and advice.:)

Wow, you did a LOT in your short time here! And you saw one of the few games the Knicks WIN.

Please let us know when are you coming back.

Yes, that game was against Boston Celtics...Very good game.

I let you know when i come back to NY, thank you for all the help.:)

Joseph, Thank you for posting your travelogue. It's always nice to hear how some of the suggestions offered on these boards pan out.

I'm late to the party so to speak, and only now noticed the big thread that provided so much information to you. Since you mentioned that English is not your native language, I'm just wondering where you are from?

Joseph, Thank you for posting your travelogue. It's always nice to hear how some of the suggestions offered on these boards pan out.

I'm late to the party so to speak, and only now noticed the big thread that provided so much information to you. Since you mentioned that English is not your native language, I'm just wondering where you are from?

Well i hope all that thread is going to be very useful to other users who are going to travel to NY, about your question I am from Mexico city.

:) :) :) :)

The hotel was regular, very accessible to the subway, but nothing around In my future stay I will try to stay in Manhattan...:)

.:D

It is very hard to explain to people how it is so much more worth it to cut back on the amount of nights you stay and to stay in Manhattan than to stay outside Manhattan because it is cheaper.

Glad you had such a good time and I'm exhausted just reading about everything you did! Glad you were able to take advantage of such a fabulous city!

It is very hard to explain to people how it is so much more worth it to cut back on the amount of nights you stay and to stay in Manhattan than to stay outside Manhattan because it is cheaper.

Glad you had such a good time and I'm exhausted just reading about everything you did! Glad you were able to take advantage of such a fabulous city!

Well after my visit to NY I will continue with my theory to stay more nights in a modest way, rather than stay fewer nights in a luxury way...And in that way I could see a lots of thinks that NY has to offer.

Remember a hotel in october a bad one is more than $250 dlls per night.:eek:

Just that in a near future I will visit NY, in another season.;)

But we have a very nice trip, thank you for your comments.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have enjoyed reading your review and to see how interested people were in helping you prepare for your visit.

I will be in NY on the 27th-29th February pre cruise and am trying to do as much as I can to get the best out of my visit. I will be on my own but I am reassuared that people say the city is very safe now.

I find it all very exciting and will move on to looking at what I should see in the Ports of call on my cruise.

Sue

I have enjoyed reading your review and to see how interested people were in helping you prepare for your visit.

I will be in NY on the 27th-29th February pre cruise and am trying to do as much as I can to get the best out of my visit. I will be on my own but I am reassuared that people say the city is very safe now.

I find it all very exciting and will move on to looking at what I should see in the Ports of call on my cruise.

Sue

Thank you for your comments... I find the NYers very kind people... and very helpful, Also a very safe city.

If you have any question to them use this thread "New York for first Timer" I know there will be many people who will help you.

:):):):)

Thanks for the nice review on my hometown. I love New York and never tire of it.

My cousin from the UK just sailed on the QM2 out of red hook, Brooklyn. He asked for my advice. My first question was, what is your budget like and how important is it to you to stay in the city (Everyone in Bklyn and for that matter any other Borough call Manhattan "The City", even though we live in NYC). He stayed at the Holiday Inn Express near the Red Hook cruise terminal. He saved alot of money and was a half block from the subway and 3 stops from the City. The block that the holiday inn was on is very industrial looking, but its in Park Slope Brooklyn and all you have to do is walk up a few blocks which has great restaurants, boutiques, brownstones and prospect park. Just walk up to 6, 7 , 8 Ave. He had a great time, saw the sites of the city, went shopping and saved alot of money. The holiday inn is new.

Next time come to Brooklyn for Juniors Cheesecake and the best pizza in the world at Spumoni Gardens or Grimaldies, geez, I could name a ton of places. We also have the Brooklyn Cyclones (the mets minor league team) that play in the summer in Coney Island. Now thats fun, cheap and they have sausage & peppers on italian bread.

Marge

Sailing the Carribean Princess, July 10, 2008

Thanks for the nice review on my hometown. I love New York and never tire of it.

My cousin from the UK just sailed on the QM2 out of red hook, Brooklyn. He asked for my advice. My first question was, what is your budget like and how important is it to you to stay in the city (Everyone in Bklyn and for that matter any other Borough call Manhattan "The City", even though we live in NYC). He stayed at the Holiday Inn Express near the Red Hook cruise terminal. He saved alot of money and was a half block from the subway and 3 stops from the City. The block that the holiday inn was on is very industrial looking, but its in Park Slope Brooklyn and all you have to do is walk up a few blocks which has great restaurants, boutiques, brownstones and prospect park. Just walk up to 6, 7 , 8 Ave. He had a great time, saw the sites of the city, went shopping and saved alot of money. The holiday inn is new.

Next time come to Brooklyn for Juniors Cheesecake and the best pizza in the world at Spumoni Gardens or Grimaldies, geez, I could name a ton of places. We also have the Brooklyn Cyclones (the mets minor league team) that play in the summer in Coney Island. Now thats fun, cheap and they have sausage & peppers on italian bread.

Marge

I always like how the real estate people expand the neighborhoods to try to get a better name. Park Slope ends at 5th Avenue(this too is somewhat an expansion as it used to end at 6th Avenue). The hotel is west of 4th avenue. They might as well describe the neighborhood that the Holiday Inn express as Brooklyn Heights which is west of Court Street and north of Atlantic Avenue- not far either. The Neighborhood the Holiday Inn Express is in is Gowanus....named after an Indian tribe that used to inhabit Brooklyn and a canal of the same name one Block from the Hotel that is infamous for being polluted. It is by far not a "in" neighborhood so I am not surprised that the people who run the holiday inn tried to move it elsewhere. The closest restaurant you should try is "Two Toms" on 3rd Ave off of Union....no menu they tell you what they have and you better like it if you know what I mean....

Marge

You can get Juniors Cheesecake in Times Square too.

I tried the Junior cheesecake on board the princess cruise, they have an offer for 7 dlls for all the cruises that depart from NY that Includes a slice of Junior cheesecake, a Nathans Hot dog and a Brooklyn Lager.

Very good experience and excellent cheesecake.:):)

Archived