rci fuel charge better

emily rose

Just thank your lucky stars Princess is only implmenting a $5.00 charge. Other lines are implementing $7 - $8.50 a day fuel surcharges. And the airlines are getting into the act too - some have implemented surcharges, too.

There is a way to protest this on the ship - decrease your onboard charges the amount of the fuel surcharge. Don't buy pictures, book your own excursions, don't eat in an alternate restaurant or have one less drink a day.

If the surcharge is that offensive, decrease your spending to even it out. Since just about every cruise line is doing it, you can't even go to another line to avoid it.

Even I who cancelled due to the fact that Princess charges Canadians more than their neighbours feel that this subject has run its cause.

Lets move on and await for the price of oil to go down and the removel of the surcharge by Princess.....which I am certain they will honour.

I am really pleased that there is a ceiling price of $70 per cruise, it would have been a greater increase if it was $5 x 31 days for my Sapphire cruise in April, i havent heard from Virgin airlines if there is an increase in airfares, ive had mine booked and paid for nearly 6 months, its not cheap to fly from the UK at the best of times, anyone out there from the UK know anything about excess fuel charges?? audrey.:)

On Nov 7 Princess announced the fuel surcharge to be effective for Feb 1 and subsequent sailings.

That provided nearly two weeks advance notice of the final payment date for existing bookings.

Those bookings that sail prior to Feb 1 and were "paid in full" are effectively "exempt" with Princess, too.

I fail to see a fundamental difference from Princess's policy.

I guess it is for the people that paid in full well before final pmt date. They, too, would have to pay the surcharge.

If people don't want to discuss this subject, then go to another thread. There are over 300 of them out there on every subject under the sun. If people on here want to discuss the surcharge, so be it. Let them do it.

I have a beef with the people on the phones in California who don't seem to know why Canadians are being charged more for the surcharge $5.50 and for

the cruise we are going on....even tho now our dollar is worth more than the USD......$1.10.

Had one Princess agent pass me over to three others......none of whom knew why that was the case, and the third one at 6PM EST said that customer relations was closed for the day....in California now, where it was 3 PM.

I think the people up front on the phones need to be more in tuned with what is going with the company they represent and know how to answer

basic questions.

As for the fuel surcharge, no big deal when you think it costs me $5 in case a day to go to the grocery store in my car. I'd much rather pay $5 a day for fuel that will take me to Aruba, thank you very much.

If people don't want to discuss this subject, then go to another thread. There are over 300 of them out there on every subject under the sun. If people on here want to discuss the surcharge, so be it. Let them do it.

I have a beef with the people on the phones in California who don't seem to know why Canadians are being charged more for the surcharge $5.50 and for

the cruise we are going on....even tho now our dollar is worth more than the USD......$1.10.

Had one Princess agent pass me over to three others......none of whom knew why that was the case, and the third one at 6PM EST said that customer relations was closed for the day....in California now, where it was 3 PM.

I think the people up front on the phones need to be more in tuned with what is going with the company they represent and know how to answer

basic questions.

As for the fuel surcharge, no big deal when you think it costs me $5 in case a day to go to the grocery store in my car. I'd much rather pay $5 a day for fuel that will take me to Aruba, thank you very much.

Please voice your concerns regarding the extra 50cents per day for Canadians to customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Many of us have.

My remarks on my previous post were done with'Tongue in cheek'

I too have no objection to paying the same rate as my neighbours below the border.

This is for all you whiners!!

Crystal announced yesterday that it is RAISING it's EXISTING $5 per day pp fuel surcharge to $7 per day pp.

Windstar is initiating an $8.50 per day pp fuel surcharge

Looks like the premium lines must use premium fuel? And obviously Carnival was not the first to have a fuel surcharge.

Ron

Crystal announced yesterday that it is RAISING it's EXISTING $5 per day pp fuel surcharge to $7 per day pp.

Looks like the premium lines must use premium fuel? And obviously Carnival was not the first to have a fuel surcharge.

Ron

I keep repeating that I personally have NO objection to paying the same fuel tax as everybody else in USA .I DO object even if its only 50cents per day more than you..OK

I just spoke with my TA today about my upcoming 11 day RCL cruise, and they do not limit it to $70 - it's $5/day/person for the first 2 pax, period. I mentioned the press release and she called RCL while I was on the phone - nope, no limit. :mad: Sorry.

It's in writing from RCI - "will not exceed $70 per person, per sailing". So, yes, there is a limit of $140 per couple per sailing, the same as with all Carnival-brand lines.

This may seem fairer to some, and may even make more business sense, since it will be less likely to anger customers, but it has no more legal basis than the surcharges being levied by the Carnival-owned lines' plans.

Adding the logo item for those who pay the surcharge is a nice touch. It gives it a kind of "we're all in this together" feel.

If you read the cruise contract carefully, somewhere in the fine print, you will find a clause that says, in effect, that the line can raise the fare at any time prior to the cruise, including the day of embarkation. The passenger's only recourse is to refuse to pay the increase and be given a full refund of the fare already paid, with no cancellation penalty. The line, on the other hand, accepts no responsibility for secondary damages, such as non-refundable airfare, or pre-cruise hotel stays.

No, there is a very long thread over at RCI, and they are quite angry about it.

Ron

That is more proof that these fuel surcharges are BS. The cruise lines don't pay for fuel like when we fill up our car and pay the price on the pump. They buy fuel months in advance. They have plenty of time to adjust the price of future bookings to cover increased costs without adding on surcharges to any bookings.

That is more proof that these fuel surcharges are BS. The cruise lines don't pay for fuel like when we fill up our car and pay the price on the pump. They buy fuel months in advance. They have plenty of time to adjust the price of future bookings to cover increased costs without adding on surcharges to any bookings.

And you know that HOW?

Ron

Pretty broad statement with no fact. Fact is oil costs didn't just rise yesterday or the week before the surcharge..... They must be offsetting costs of fuel already contracted for plus what they expect in the future.

[quote name='coiran'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]This is for all you whiners!! [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Crystal announced yesterday that it is RAISING it's EXISTING $5 per day pp fuel surcharge to $7 per day pp. [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Windstar is initiating an $8.50 per day pp fuel surcharge [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Looks like the premium lines must use premium fuel? And obviously Carnival was not the first to have a fuel surcharge.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Ron[/FONT][/quote]
Easy to understand why..... with their smaller ships....they have less passengers to take the pain. ;)

Archived