Will I NOT like Iguassu Falls?

Jiminkcmo

Am planning a cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago in Jan. 2009.

Thinking of a pre-cruise 2-3 day trip to Iguassu Falls as I read it is a MUST-SEE.

I've read some about the falls on various sites and would like to get some reassurance from those who have been there.

The situation is that I'm not very fond of heights and have a tendency toward vertigo.

I don't put myself anywhere near the edges of cliffs and don't care for glass elevators either.

In reading about the falls, I read a lot about "catwalks" when touring the falls. My mental image is a rope bridge that I have to walk across. No thanks to that.

Should I not take this side trip because of my height fears?

Has anyone else with this fear taken and enjoyed the trip to the falls?

Appreciate any help, one way or the other.

Thanks.

Jim

There are no rope bridges or anything like that. The cat walks are wide and have hand rails, so you don't have to go to the edge of anything. The falls are truely amazing, one of my favorite places in the whole world. Take a look at the photos on my website and you can see what the catwalks look like:

http://www.pbase.com/2112

Hi,

I dont like heights or swinging rope paths but I can assure you its not like that. You must not miss the opportunity to go. We went last year and have chosen our cruise destination so that we can fit 3 days to Iguazu in as well.

We have have seen many fabulous sights in the world but Iguazu blew both of us away.

Sarah

You can get out over the falls (if you want). I don't suffer abnormally from vertigo, but the see-through platform next to the 'visitors center' was a little unnerving. It's either exhilirating or debilitating. You have to decide. Seeing Iguassu from the pictures is not the same as the rush of being there in person.

I can really identify with you as I cannot even watch anyone walking in an area I deem questionable. Fortunately this incredible place has something for people like us as well as for those more risk taking.

I felt totally comfortable viewing this incredible place. I would return in a heartbeat. Do not deny yourself this opportunity to make your heart sing.

Fran

MANY THANKS for all of your replies and encouragement.

2112, your pictures are stunning.

Fran, I don't like to see people on TV go near high cliffs, etc.

I guess now that I've made it this far in life, I don't want to cash it in just yet.

I feel much better about going to this place that you have all experienced.

It looks so special and beautiful and a once in a lifetime journey.

Thanks to you folks, it will be a "GO".

Jim

If any of you very helpful folks are still around, would you please share any thoughts as to tour packages at the falls including hotels, which airport to fly into from Buenos Aires, which country to stay in, which airline to fly, etc. etc.

Have already learned that it would be wise to get a Visa for Brazil ahead of time and have sent an email to the Brazilian consulate in Chicago for that.

What other good ideas should be considered?

I see the hydroelectric dam tour is a good one. As long as I don't have to rappel down the face to see it. <G>

Thanks.

Jim

We plan to visit Iguassu Falls at the end of our cruise from Valparaiso to BA this coming Jan. We just received our travel documents and it says the CDC suggests a yellow fever vaccination if one takes the post-cruise trip to Igauassu. Apparently it isn't required. However, I noticed Chile mentions that you have to show proof of vaccination if you've been in a yellow fever zone. As we are doing the reverse of your cruise, it won't effect us. However, you may inquire if it will effect your trip. I've been debating on whether to get the vaccination. It may be unlikely for me to get yellow fever with minimal exposure... but mosquitoes do love me and it just takes one with the virus.

We just got our yellow fever vaccinations since we are going to Iguassu Falls pre-cruise in early Dec. I would hate to be denied getting onto the ship to start the cruise or off of the ship at various ports because we had been to Iguassu and didn't have the shot, let alone getting Yellow Fever. It can be deadly, and that to me is a good enough reason to get the shot. Also, it is good for 10 years, and if you go to other Yellow Fever destinations, you are already covered. Sometimes Panama Canal is a Yellow Fever destination, and since the shot is good for 10 years, guess where I am going to go in the next 10 years? Panama Canal (OK, it is a stretch, but whatever it takes. LOL)

We loved the Iguazu Falls and if I was given the opportunity to return to South America, then that would be one place I would like to revisit. It is not scary at all and is an easy walk, though it is very hot and humid!

With regard to having a Yellow Fever injection. We had to have them as we were going on to visit Chile, Peru and Ecuador after our time in Brazil. Also we did the Amazon cruise last year and we were not allowed on board HAL's Veendam without showing proof that we had been vacinated. Tess111 is correct, it is good or 10 years and as we are now travelling to some unusual places, it was well worth having the shot.

Jennie

I never thought that I would need or use either the vaccination or the Brazilian visa after doing Iguassu and the Amazon in 2005. Thoughts and plans change and I am reusing both in March.

Fran

It seems great to pro rate them.

... What other good ideas should be considered?

I see the hydroelectric dam tour is a good one. As long as I don't have to rappel down the face to see it ...

I would consider the speed boat tour up into the falls. You can also take a short white water rafting trip down through the rapids. This is also offered as a combo tour and it is quite a lot of fun.

I'm not sure if being in an enclosed aircraft triggers your vertigo. If not, helicopter tours are available outside the park on the Brazil side. They probably have helicopters on the Argentina side as well but I've only been on the Brazil side so I don't know for sure.

I would consider the speed boat tour up into the falls. You can also take a short white water rafting trip down through the rapids. This is also offered as a combo tour and it is quite a lot of fun.

I'm not sure if being in an enclosed aircraft triggers your vertigo. If not, helicopter tours are available outside the park on the Brazil side. They probably have helicopters on the Argentina side as well but I've only been on the Brazil side so I don't know for sure.

Does anyone have any links to these tour companies?

No helicopters on the Argentine side.

We plan to visit Iguassu Falls at the end of our cruise from Valparaiso to BA this coming Jan. We just received our travel documents and it says the CDC suggests a yellow fever vaccination if one takes the post-cruise trip to Igauassu. Apparently it isn't required. However, I noticed Chile mentions that you have to show proof of vaccination if you've been in a yellow fever zone. As we are doing the reverse of your cruise, it won't effect us. However, you may inquire if it will effect your trip. I've been debating on whether to get the vaccination. It may be unlikely for me to get yellow fever with minimal exposure... but mosquitoes do love me and it just takes one with the virus.

If you are sailing on PRINCESS, they will not allow you to embark unless you have all the required documents - Yellow Fever (or doctor letter if you have contraindications) plus the $100 USD (for Americans) visa. ;)

Archived