POLL - Let's vote for the Triplets to stay in Seabourn's hands!

norm2002

Do you want Seabourn's to keep the three sisters going as long as possible?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Seabourn's to keep the three sisters going as long as possible?

• Yes, please. We need to keep the smaller size as well.
    • No, thank you. They should retire gracefully.
    • I don't care either way.

This is Seabourn-nail's thread converted to a Poll so you can vote your preference.

Seabourn may soon have two or, even, three larger ships, the first, the Seabourn Odyssey, coming into service in just 18 months.

If you want Seabourn to keep the existing three sisters as long as they can physically sail and provide the fantastic service to which we lucky people have become accustomed, vote Yes.

If you think that, when the larger yachts are going, we will no longer need the smaller yachts, vote No.

I have also added a third option of I don't really care either way.

You can also add your comments by replying in the thread.

Marja, hope this is OK for you.

Seabourn seems to occupy a unique niche in the luxury cruise market. While I can understand the market forces at play requiring new ships with balconies and the economies of scale issues requiring the new ships to be bigger, I feel there is the potential to create a product which is indistinguishable from Silver Seas or even RSSC.

Is this what people want?

Steve

Of course a business decision will be made but I hope the small ships continue to pay their way and can stay full after the new ships are launched without cannibalizing the new ships. We have cruised and enjoyed SIlversea and Regent, but have learned that 700 people on a ship is not intimate, and 400 (at least on SIlversea) has not been the Seabourn experience we love.

Seabourn’s distinguishing feature is its warm and friendly service and ambience, which people on this board know must be experienced to be appreciated. Small is an integral part of this experience; you get to know passengers and crew easily, you are never far from any venue, tours and events are smaller, and on and on. Add to this the advantage of being able to use smaller ports, and docking right in town in the larger ports. This is the reason we always come back. If I am on another ship and I see a Seabourn ship, I wistfully wish I were on Seabourn instead, no matter how grand my current cabin or balcony.

Merril

I would like to see them use at least one of the triplets for a "Seadream" type of cruise--all casual, unstructured, etc.

That is absolutely a very good idea! My husband would love that! Women can always dress up if they want. Even if the dress code is casual!

Norman: Well done, thank you! I also voted officially now.

Early retiree: I totally subscribe all your motivations, a great summary of reasons why to keep the triplets (or should I write "Triplets"?)

(4 weeks today before I will fly to Ft. Lauderdale!)

• 3 weeks later...

I have also been ruminating on the fate of the Legend, Pride and Spirit once Seabourn has brought their newer, larger ships onto the scene. Whatever happens, it occurred to me that my experiences on Seabourn have enriched my life in a way few things have. Isn't that interesting? I've traveled by land here and there, but what happens on a Seabourn cruise has been so magical, it has brought elegance and delight into my life in a way that has been truly unique.

I will always be grateful for the trips I have had on Seabourn, and for any I might be able to take in the future. I love the smaller ships, and will stay with them as long as possible!

P.S. Marja, how wonderful you will be on the Legend for Christmas and New Year's...I wish you the most incredible voyage ever!

Jane

Marja,

Thanks so much for starting this thread. Mrs. Jack and I are so happy you'll be enjoying your upcoming cruise.

Our cruise will be a first on Seabourn, but as I've stated before, we do so enjoy "smaller" ships.

All the best to you and your family and enjoy your holidays.:p Jack & Mrs. Jack

Another vote for keeping the triplets. As a veteran of 6 Seabourn voyages and countless others on large and small (500-700 pax) ships, nothing can compare with the intimacy and sense of family one gets from the Seabourn vessels. There is no other ship that can compare with these three.

Well don't worry because Seabourn would never do a drydock to the 3 ships if they would go out of service within the next 5 years. The 3 new ships are very good because now they can expend they're office and take all control in Seabourn hands.

• 10 months later...
I would like to see them use at least one of the triplets for a "Seadream" type of cruise--all casual, unstructured, etc.

I am not very impressed with the idea of sitting at dinner with guests dressed (or should I say undressed) wearing vests and tattoos. One very good reason for cruising with Seabourn rather than SeaDream.

I am not very impressed with the idea of sitting at dinner with guests dressed (or should I say undressed) wearing vests and tattoos. One very good reason for cruising with Seabourn rather than SeaDream.

??? When I sailed SeaDream, I don't remember guests with vests and tattoos..?? I guess I don't understand your post?

Host Dan

??? When I sailed SeaDream, I don't remember guests with vests and tattoos..?? I guess I don't understand your post?

Host Dan

Me neither I found Seadream to be elegant casual and dressier than i thought, definately no vests not sure about the tattoos;) i think perhaps they were hidden:D

deb

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!

We first "discovered" Seabourn about a year ago and will have logged 100 days on the triplets by March 2009. When we were last aboard a few weeks ago, we kept agonizing about booking (about 50 days or so) on the Odyssey - I just could NOT do it. We love the small size of the triplets.

Perhaps after the Odyssey has sailed, and the loyal Cruise Critic critics post their views saying that Seabourn has preserved the magical intimacy of the small triplets even on the larger Odyssey, we will consider booking the Odyssey. Until then, we won't. Another couple aboard had the same opinion - they also love Seabourn because the triplets are SO small and intimate - they will not book the Odyssey.

We have friends who are going on the Odyssey next Sept for three weeks -- we will let them be our guinea pigs since we have similar tastes. Right now we have trouble with the following :

1. The size of the ship -- 32,000 tons is three time the size of the currents ships. So eventhough there will only be a little over twice as many passengers the ship will be much larger and I am afraid will lose that intimate feeling value so much,

2. The number of passengers -- I am convinved that there is an inverse relationship between the number of passengers and how many you get to really know. We met many many nice folks this last trip and are planning trips with two couples we got to know particularly well. Larger ship means less chance of running into the same people over and over -- especially with a larger number of dining venues, and

3. Personalized service -- frankly I am amazed that at present so many of the crew members remember passengers names and tastes so quickly. So even with this Seabourn training intitute I don't see how twice as many crew can remember details of twice as amny passenger -- except of course for the passengers who are on three or four times a year or for an extended period.

I won't say never, but for now we'll be two of the people on one of the sisters as she sails into the ship graveyard.

Good post Chairsin. While I do think the service on the larger ships will be quite superior, I do think some of that Seabourn *magic* will be lost since it can only be cultivated in a 200 pax environment.

I hope to sail the triplets as long as they live....

I thought April's Fool Day was in April not October:D

Host Dan

You are not alone Dan. With three SD sailings "under our belts" and the fourth one in a few months I can say I have never seen any guest who fit Blonde Moment's description.

:D Vests and tattoos ..... on Seadream ? .......Really ? ......:D Too funny !!:D :p

Right there with you:p

Well considering that new 2010 itineraries were spoke about at the Sea Trade Conference this week I don't think there is any doubt they are keeping the triplets

Well don't worry, we are starting on the 2012 itineraries for all 5 ships ;)

Archived