Early Risers

sogamusicman

If you are like me, and get up early (I rarely sleep past 5...), where can you go on the ship? Can I find a decent cup of coffee? My wife sleeps lare and I don't want to wake her. Thanks

The Lido has coffee and tea 24 hours and also pizza if you want to eat that early in the AM. :p

If you are like me, and get up early (I rarely sleep past 5...), where can you go on the ship? Can I find a decent cup of coffee? My wife sleeps lare and I don't want to wake her. Thanks

No such thing as a decent cup of coffee on the ship.:( We always pack a 2 cup coffee maker and brew our own.

I have the same problem, except in reverse. My DH sleeps in, and I am up with the birds (like today!) You can go up to the LIDO deck and get coffee at that time. It is so-so. I'm not sure if the specialty coffee bar is open that early. I would recomment bringing some sort of travel mug so you don't have to fill your cup as often. We usually have a balcony cabin or suite, so I usually bring my coffee back to the room and sit on the balcony. Two other options: Room service or bring your own little coffe maker or coffee pot andmake your own in the room. I have down that several times (and might do it again!)

from my first days of...in the 60's...there was boullion, and coffee and tea served to early risers on deck..lots of folk walked and sat in those wonderful deck chairs , that had a pocket for your name card reservation, and a warm blanket .Then after the sun was up, a fluffy beach towel appeared neatly folded, on "your chair, which for a small tip, was yours for the duration..no chair hog took your chair.. The "deck stewards" saw to your every need all day long. These chairs surrounded the entire deck , not only in the pool area. That was also before the days of most "Lido" dining areas. also, outside lunch everyday..outside buffets at later night sail aways.Ahhh, those were the dayss:mad: ..allll gone now

I am up at 5 as well. Always don a hat, and go for a stroll. Start seeing more stroolers at 6ish.

There's always at least one coffee maker brewing.

Then I go strolling myself, at all the different angles, peering over many rails, fore and aft being my favorite. I check back in the room every half hour or so, and sit on the balcony a bit as well.

And LOVE watching that sun rise.

from my first days of...in the 60's...there was boullion, and coffee and tea served to early risers on deck..lots of folk walked and sat in those wonderful deck chairs , that had a pocket for your name card reservation, and a warm blanket .Then after the sun was up, a fluffy beach towel appeared neatly folded, on "your chair, which for a small tip, was yours for the duration..no chair hog took your chair.. The "deck stewards" saw to your every need all day long. These chairs surrounded the entire deck , not only in the pool area. That was also before the days of most "Lido" dining areas. also, outside lunch everyday..outside buffets at later night sail aways.Ahhh, those were the dayss:mad: ..allll gone now

Which ship did you sail on back then? My parents sailed on the Oceanic and told me all about their cruises. Those were definitely the "days of cruising".

I would recomment bringing some sort of travel mug so you don't have to fill your cup as often. We usually have a balcony cabin or suite, so I usually bring my coffee back to the room and sit on the balcony. Two other options: Room service or bring your own little coffe maker or coffee pot andmake your own in the room. I have down that several times (and might do it again!)

Two good ideas. Are you allowed to bring coffee pots? I find the coffee on ship to strong for me so I have to load it with milk usually I drink coffee black so don't really care for it with the milk. So bringing a small coffee pot would be great...

The travel mug is a good idea too. I like to get up early and find a spot to watch the sun rise or walk around the deck. Thanks

I pack flavored creamers; that helps the coffee. I too am an early riser, and will take my travel mug for coffee, walk around the ship, then grab a cup and head back to our cabin. We have the balcony, but I try not to disturb DH as he sleeps later. I love being up early and watching the sunrise; very few people on deck. As for food, I have had pizza that early as well!

I am usually up before 5 a.m. Either I sit on our balcony with a book (wrapped in a towel, as it can be cool at that time in the a.m.) or I take a book and read on Lido deck, after walking the track a bit.

I, too, sailed on the Oceanic. (first cruise - for our 1st anniversary). I remember having assigned deck chairs, with the stewards setting them up for us each day, putting folded towels on them for us, replacing our towels when wet. Nice touch. The ships were smaller then, with less passengers. Trying to please 3,000 people with deck chair locations would be almost impossible now.

We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary with a cruise this April (anniversary is really in June, but have to work:( ) on the Freedom. I still enjoy those early mornings "to myself" as my family sleeps in a bit. I enjoy people watching - especially towards 7-8 a.m. as the chair hogs start staking out their lounges for the day!

I am also an early riser, I love going on deck when it is still dark, it's very calm and relaxing. I don't mind their coffee at all. When we sailed on NCL they actually had coffee pots in the rooms. One morning during the cruise I usually take my camera and take pictures of the ship, everything is shining and I find it's the best time to take pictures.:D

My BF and I are both early risers (even at home) and it is one of our favorite times onboard. The ship is so quiet, the sunrise is almost always stunning and if you get to the buffet around 7AM, no lines! :p

Now, this isn't always easy to do since we also love to stay up late (or is that early?)! But we figure we can always sleep at home! :D

As for the coffee, I am spoiled. My BF always goes to the Lido and brings mine back for me. Then we head to the balcony. I also have to agree with everyone, the coffee is not very good, but it has the one special ingredient that I need in the morning.....CAFFIENE! :eek:

I too, am the early riser here. I like the coffee on the ships, so that's not a problem for me. I also take a large travel/coffee mug. I find that risiing early, is a good time to explore the ship and watch as if wakes up for the day. Also, good time for pictues, as mic328 stated. We also take Walkie-Talkies with us, when the DW gets up and motivated, she can call me and we start her day.

Matt

I rise at 4-4:30 every morning. I love the peace and quiet.

I go get a cup of coffee and sit in a quiet place on lido to read my book so DH can sleep in until 7 or so. At 6 I get a croissant to go with my coffee and then have breakfast with my hubby when he gets ready to go to the dining room. I think the specialty coffee people are there around 6 or so.

I, too, am an early riser. I go up to the Lido deck for a cup or two of java before I head back to see if my dh is up. We usually have three cabins together so I bring back a tray of milk/tea/coffee/croissants for our group. I place it on the balcony and as people wake up they help themselves. I love sitting outside on the balcony first thing in the morning. This year we are on the empress deck aft cabins 7424/26/28. I can't wait.:) :)

we do fresh ground every day...we love great coffee...and we enjoy the carnival coffee.

We pack flavored sweetners and like the cream.

as for early....just use the continential feature...

Place the door hanger out request 5 am delivery AND request coffee for 4 with cream and some fruit or crossant ( That is if you have a balony)

Otherwise there are like a million quite knooks and crannies to hang out and coffee...

I find the coffee on ship to strong for me so I have to load it with milk usually I drink coffee black so don't really care for it with the milk. So bringing a small coffee pot would be great...

I find the coffee too strong, too-what I do is fill a cup partway with hot water from the spigot on the coffee machine (it's there so people can use the water for tea), then fill the cup with their coffee - and you're good to go!

Anni

Which ship did you sail on back then? My parents sailed on the Oceanic and told me all about their cruises. Those were definitely the "days of cruising".

Ariadne, Yarmouth Castle, Emerald Seas, Sunward, Dolphin, Vera Cruz, Sitmar Lines, RCCL, Holland, some in Europe, Back to RCL,The Chandris group, and Costa Lines, Leonardo, Rafaello, Achille Lauro, and now a loyal CCL..since I'm 100 miles from Mobile, 4 hrs from Jax/Port Canav, After Tampa came on the scene ,close to my then home. I remember mooring next to the Oceanic in Nassau years ago. Yep, good old days, but thren, I'm a good ole girl ! :) ..wonderful memories

I'm up before 6 every day, but with my dark, inside cabins and the Carnival bedding, I find that I could sleep much later.

DD is on a totally different schedule than I (got that from her father, I suppose). I get up, shower, and dress. By the time I'm done, it's already light and breakfast is available at the Lido.

I'm a hot tea drinker, but impossible to make a proper cup of tea because you don't have boiling water, although the water in the dispenser is very hot. It isn't boiling!

And I have to track down a carton of milk because cream is just too heavy for tea.

I always manage, though! With my first balcony coming up, I may have to order room service so I can sit out on my balcony, sip my tea and watch the sun rise!

I can't wait!

For those of you who are up so early, what time do you go to bed at night?

DH and I like staying up late (midnight - 1:00 - 2:00 a.m. or so) for the late night comedians, dancing, etc. so then I find it impossible to get up and watch the sunrise. :(

DH gets up early sometimes, but it's hard when we like staying up late too.

Early risers, do you take afternoon naps?

For those of you who are up so early, what time do you go to bed at night?

DH and I like staying up late (midnight - 1:00 - 2:00 a.m. or so) for the late night comedians, dancing, etc. so then I find it impossible to get up and watch the sunrise. :(

DH gets up early sometimes, but it's hard when we like staying up late too.

Early risers, do you take afternoon naps?

Archived