Feb/March Cruising!

Browneyedhunni85

For me February/early March is the perfect time to cruise. 1) Living in the midwest, I am getting away from the bitter cold and heading to the beautiful carribean. 2) Generally you will miss spring breakers...depending if you go early March, you may get some, but not many. 3) This is the perfect time of year for me to be away from work.

The only thing I suggest is leaving out of Southern Florida. I have left out of New Orleans and LA and in February/Early March, the weather in NO and LA is hit or miss. The year we left out of NO, it was 32 degrees out and it didn't get warm until a whole day later...and then on the way back, the last day at sea was chilly!! Nicer than Iowa, but chilly! Just my opinion.

We've cruised the week Valentine's before, and are doing it again this coming Feb.:D I guess the one thing for us was, is that it was hard to believe it was 70 degrees in Florida, when just the day before, we were at the airport in Atlanta, in 40 degree weather. I distinctly remember seeing one of the Delta employees standing outside of the plane as we boarded heading for Florida all bundled up and wearing gloves and a scarf, out in the cold wind, and thinking to myself that I couldn't wait to get to Florida, because after there, it was nothing but warmer every step.:D The first day was comfortable, like I said it was in the 70's, was nice to wear shorts in the winter time;) but the bad part was coming back. On our last sea day, we cruised back in to clouds, rain, :eek: and cold air.:( Everyone was walking around the ship in sweatshirts, or jackets, no shorts that day. That's the con, so make sure you pack something warm for the trip home.

I guess my main concern is it being chilly for our ports of calls. Was it warm enough to swim & layout on the ship as well as ashore? We live in GA so we drive to Fla. I've never cruised this time. Its always been June or August so this will be new. I just want to make sure I am gonna feel like I am in the Carb. Hehe, sorry for all the questions!

I guess my main concern is it being chilly for our ports of calls. Was it warm enough to swim & layout on the ship as well as ashore? We live in GA so we drive to Fla. I've never cruised this time. Its always been June or August so this will be new. I just want to make sure I am gonna feel like I am in the Carb. Hehe, sorry for all the questions!

Where in GA?, we're right outside of Augusta. The temperatures in the ports are in the 80's to mid 80's. Take sunblock or you'll burn. I took sunblock and still got red. It's warm enough to swim in ports and on the ship. Packing depends on the length of your cruise. Pack a few tops, for a 7 day, I pack 4, and interchange them between capris & shorts (2 of each, I know I'll buy more in the different ports), makes for multiple outfits that day. I take a pair of tennis shoes, 2 pair of dress shoes, and my flip-flops. A pair of undies for each day, a strapless bra for the formal gown (I take 2 of those), and 2 swimsuits. Then I pack the jewelry, make-up, deodorant, band-aids with neosporin, hairbrush, 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner, zantac, goody's or advil, immodium a/d, and dramamine.

Were you guys able to swim on the ship? And how should we pack?

I always travel the Caribbean from Oct - April cause it's more affordable

and it allows me to spoil my GF with great excursions and gifts .

Now to your question . I live here in TX so we always take to 2 set of

warm clothes , one to leave in and one to return .

By day two it's nice and toasty , so don't put away your summer clothes yet .

HAVE FUN , KRAZCRUISER

That sounds good. Its still warm here in GA and its November. I think it will be great for us cruising during this time. Its kinda sad though b/c this will be my last family vacation for awhile. I'm getting married in 09 and so after this one it will be my honeymoon cruise in 09. And newlyweds dont always have the extra funds for vacations right away w/ buying houses and such. And the good thing too is my swim suit I bought for my June cruise is still new along w/ a lot of other things that I bought. So that will also save me $$$

Several years ago we cruised the beginning of March to the Eastern Carribean from Miami and the weather was great ! Swimming took place each day on ship- and at all ports. Shorts and swimsuits were the daily attire. Remember that sun is warmer in the Carribean-don't forget the suntan lotion ! We did have one windy day and a couple late evenings were a bit chilly so a light jacket or sweater came in handy if we wanted to be outside.

This year we're doing the western Carribean at the end of Feb. Don't remember where, but I found on-line sites that told me the average temps for the ports we were visiting for the end of Feb-beginning of Mar and they were all right around 80 degrees.

Pack for the low 80's and throw in a couple of things for those cooler moments and you'll be fine :)

Oh yes, and 1 more con.......well, it could be. The cruise is right after all of the holidays, so when indulging in ham/turkey, dressing and the trimmings, and especially when you reach for all those sweet treats.........:eek: don't forget you still have to wear a swimsuit in 8 weeks:eek: :p

We loved getting "out of Dodge" so to speak (Philadelphia) to bask in the sunshine. However, even though we have always flown in a day early it is much too nerve racking and we have stopped cruising in Feb because of that. Two years in a row we were the last plane out of the airport before they closed down. We knew people who missed their cruises because of hometown weather problems. So although it is our preferred time to cruise we had to give it up.

We loved getting "out of Dodge" so to speak (Philadelphia) to bask in the sunshine. However, even though we have always flown in a day early it is much too nerve racking and we have stopped cruising in Feb because of that. Two years in a row we were the last plane out of the airport before they closed down. We knew people who missed their cruises because of hometown weather problems. So although it is our preferred time to cruise we had to give it up.

Cathy, I'm with ya. We live in the NE too, and although we've taken about 7 cruises during that time frame, we've stopped cruising in Feb/March for those reasons. It's just too hard to leave here with feet of snow in the driveway, drag the luggage through the muck, try to locate everyones summer flip flops and shorts, come home to even more feet of snow in the driveway which hasn't been plowed in over a week, grounded flights due to bad weather, etc...

We prefer to sail in May and Sept/Oct now. Things are just so much easier.

When we did cruise in Feb/March, the weather in the Caribbean was great. :)

We LOVE cruising this time of year, breaks up the long hard OH winters. Also, we have a certified cheapskate in the house (also in my shirt) and the prices are great. We did a Bahamas cruise in March and it was TOO cool, but then, we wouldn't go back there anyway. Otherwise, weather in eastern and western caribbean was perfect. Depending were you sail from, first nite outta port might be a little cool, but in the morning, beautiful tropical air.

It was cold leaving NOLA in February. But, every cruise we have ever taken out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale in February has been perfect from Day One. Always fabulous weather in the ports.

You only need a sweater to handle the air conditioning at night on the ship.

FYI - we always cruise during Presidents Week in February.

We LOVE cruising this time of year, breaks up the long hard OH winters. Also, we have a certified cheapskate in the house (also in my shirt) and the prices are great. We did a Bahamas cruise in March and it was TOO cool, but then, we wouldn't go back there anyway. Otherwise, weather in eastern and western caribbean was perfect. Depending were you sail from, first nite outta port might be a little cool, but in the morning, beautiful tropical air.

Oh Oh...."too cool" is how cool? We are going to Bahamas late February...

We left out of Galveston in mid January of 06 and it was raining and cool, the next morning it was beautiful and warm. Last year we left out of Ft. Lauderdale in mid January and it was beautiful the whole time. I have been told that December is the end of the rainy season and we had no rain on either cruises while in our ports. I love cruising that time of the year. :)

We cruised last year at the end of February (Port Canaveral)... I wouldn't do it again. The weather was a little chilly the first and last day, but the rowdy kids, that is what sealed it for me... it was winter break, and I realize that it varies, but this group of kids was out of control... hundreds of drunk teens, ugh. I have cruised over Valentine's Day and it was wonderful (again, a bit chilly on the first and last day) Once you get out to sea the weather is usually fine... the one on RCCL was to the Bahamas and it wasn't as warm as I would like, but it wasn't "cold" once we got out to sea.

Oh Oh...."too cool" is how cool?

Jackets were a must! It was very disappointing for us because we had just returned from Grand Cayman/Coz and it was gorgeous. Bahamas are in the North Atlantic rather than Caribbean and the weather CAN get cool that time of year. You should be fine as long as there are no storms in the area.

thanks !

We are leaving out of NYC-so I expect a cold day down...but was hoping for some nice weather once there!!! Don't mind taking a jacket BUT we have booked a snorkle trip!!!

Also...I think I have missed the school crowd --Feb.23-3/1 does not seem like a big "school is out" time.....HOPING I am right... Oh please...hoping I am right!!!

Archived