More bad news from Princess

SoCalGal

Yes, they can and do pass on taxes, but it seems that once you've booked that shouldn't happen. Perhaps the "government" taxes go to the country where the ship is registered. Anyone kinow?

Some countries levy a charge on each person on board payable when the ship docks. Tahiti (French Polynesia) greatly increased their visitor taxes a couple of years ago and they didn't care when you paid for your trip. It was payable upon arrival. Such charges will be added to you bill even if you have paid for everything. Once the government in question sets an implementation date, that's it. You're going to pay, or be refused the privilege of visiting.

We even ran into a case where we had to pay a departure tax before being allowed to proceed with our trip.

It's the same as the hotel fees that most US cities and counties tack onto your room bill. It's easier to tax visitors than voters.

Hi Folks,

I do have to feel sorry for you folks in the states the way the dollar is heading, but hey its great for us over here, no extra charges may be you want to link the dollar to the pound at $3 to £1 before it gets any worse.

As to Europe port taxes are the highest in the world, also expect to see a wholw range of new green taxes over the next few years

yours Shogun

If you book a cruise in say 1/07 at the then current US$ rate of exchange to the Euro, then sailing in say, 2/08, I'm sure Princess pays the tax and port fees at the 2/08 rate of exchange.

Since you booked in dollars and Princess probably pays in Euros, who makes up the difference in the exchange rate?

Something seems fishy. I just looked at the Princess web site for your cruise Royal Princess (6-6-08) and it shows Government Taxes and Fees: $185.13pp and Fuel Supplement of $70pp.

Here is the exact letter from my TA:

Dear Valued Client:

We have recently been advised by Princess Cruises of a tax increase as well as a fuel surcharge for your cruise scheduled in 2008. We regret having to to pass along these additional charges to our clients; however, we cannot be responsible for these charges when they are levied except to do our best to notify clients of the charges and then collect them on behalf of the carriers. Like all taxes associated with your tickets, fuel charges and airport fees are subject to change without notice. The increases range from $79 - $206 per person inclusive of both tax and fuel surcharges and will be collected with your final payment. We will be contacting all of our confirmed clients to specifically discuss their individual bookings during the week.

Best regards,

(Our TA)

~~~~~~~~~~~

When I questioned our TA if Princess was the only carrier adding these new "government taxes", she said yes. I'm not talking about the fuel surcharge which I'm sure will be levied by all cruiselines eventually, or the port fees. As I said before the "government taxes" were $51.00 pp when I booked last January, now they are $185.00 pp. I will see what Princess has to say on Monday as I'm very curious who the "government" is that is collecting these taxes.

Yes, they can and do pass on taxes, but it seems that once you've booked that shouldn't happen. Perhaps the "government" taxes go to the country where the ship is registered. Anyone kinow?
Why do you think that shouldn't happen if a government raises the per passenger fees? We booked our 4/08 cruise in 4/06, i.e., two years before cruising and you can bet that if Australia or any of the other countries we visit raise their taxes, they'll be passed along to us.

I am assuming that the "government" taxes go to the countries you visit. After all, they are the ones imposing the taxes. That is why I said earlier that the answer to your question about the government taxes could have multiple answers. What I meant is that it could be more than one government raising entry taxes. There are many countries that impose a tax on people entering the country and I would guess that these are subject to change. For instance, it'll cost you $100 to enter Chile; $25 to enter the Dominican Republic; $50 to enter Alaskan waters; etc. These government taxes change all the time.

Yes, I questioned the tax, and the TA said Princess just decided to up their taxes...ha! This is weird. What's to stop them from doing this again in a few months? I'm not happy at all believe me.

There is something really fishy here. Cruise lines don't just up taxes, in fact they have no contol over taxers. Only governments put taxes on things. I would certainly question this even more.

Nita

its all to do with cliamte change the big tax increases in European Port tax increases.We in Europe have decided to reduce our C02 emmissions.One way to do this is to offset the amount of damage that a curise ship will do in port to the atmostphere, thatis pay money = plant forrest.

its all to do with cliamte change the big tax increases in European Port tax increases.We in Europe have decided to reduce our C02 emmissions.One way to do this is to offset the amount of damage that a curise ship will do in port to the atmostphere, thatis pay money = plant forrest.

These are not PORT tax increases, they are totally separate and called GOVERNMENT taxes.

These are not PORT tax increases, they are totally separate and called GOVERNMENT taxes.
Yes, and in some cases, the government taxes are increased. It could be you're talking apples and oranges here because government taxes can be imposed while you're in port in a particular city. Also, the "government" taxes could be not by country but by province or state. Lots of variables here.

Unless you are paid in full, they can add taxes and port charge changes.

Ask your TA to send you the written notification from Princess. I have clients booked on a Princess cruise next September and they did indeed raise tha taxes on that cruise (New England). But they sent an e-mail with the information, so have your TA forward that to you.

The one we received says:

***Government Fees and Taxes Notice of Increase***

Please be advised that the government fees and taxes have been adjusted by an additional USD $14.30 per person, to reflect the updated amount for this voyage.

Thank you for your attention to this notification. We look forward to welcoming your clients aboard the Caribbean Princess.

Unless you are paid in full, they can add taxes and port charge changes.
Actually, they reserve the right to add increased fees and taxes (not to mention an increased cruise fare) at any time; even after final payment. There is another thread on the front page about this exact verbiage in the contract.

In years past cruise lines use to do some questionable things when it came to port charges. That led to some class action lawsuits. My understanding is that cruise lines cleaned up their act since then so now taxes and port charges no longer contain hidden additions from the cruise lines.
Are you perhaps thinking of when the port charges were not included in the price? As in "Cruise Fare = $199" and then the fine print says "Plus Port charges, fees and taxes "=$563.32"

Port charges must now be included in quoted fares, but government fees and taxes are usually still listed separately.

SoCalGal, based on the email your received from your TA, Princess did not increase the taxes at their own discretion.

Taxes are imposed by gov't entities and can be imposed at that gov't entity's will. A business has no say on if it is paid or not, just that someone has to pay, most companies pass this charge along as a separate line items. If you book a cruise, hotel, car rental month's in advance, and then a gov't entity raises the tax for the period that have the reservation for, the generally accepted practice is to pass the increase tax to the consumer.

Fee's are grayer, They can be imposed by both government entities along with the business (cruise line in this case). As another poster stated the cruise lines got in trouble a few years back by implying that all fees are gov't mandated, so they would arbitrary increase a fee but blame the gov't, when in actuality they were trying to increase their own margins. A few Attorney Generals got involved and this practiced has stopped.

Now back to your original concern. If a tax or a true gov't fee has increased since my time of booking and my actual trip, I am resigned to pay it and blame the gov't entity for the increase and not the business I am dealing with it.

If the business (cruise line) decides to institute a fuel surcharge (or any other fee) after my booking, then the right thing to do is that the cruiseline allows you to cancel without penalty. By the contract, do they have to, no, but if they don't I would take that in account when booking my next cruise.

I will call Princess on Monday to see exactly what is happening here. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I am wondering what the OP found out from Princess? It all sounds pretty official, but I'm interested in the detailed response.

Barbara

Archived