Okay ladies, how dressy is smart casual and how casual is casual?

longduo

Okay ladies, how dressy is smart casual and how casual is casual?:confused:

This will be our first time on RCCL. I know what it means on other cruise lines (and it varies a lot from line to line) and I read what RCCL says it is,

BUT what do people really wear?:rolleyes:

I'm starting to put clothes aside to pack and I don't want to take things that are too dressy or too casual.:o

I just came off of the 11/11 AOS, and I wore sundresses, skirts, or dress capris with heels and a cute shirt. On formal nights, I wore cocktail attire, but you still saw people in sundresses and stuff.

It's really your preference I think. I like 'dressing up' for dinner.

Also, bring a sweater if you wear sundresses, the dining rooms/shows are cold b/c of the AC.

How long is your cruise? And where are you cruising?

I think the shorter the cruise the more casual (less tuxes less long gowns). Also the west coast cruises are more casual - Mexico and Alaska. Holiday cruises - Christmas and New Years will be more festive with more bling and more black tie attire.

How long is your cruise? And where are you cruising?

I think the shorter the cruise the more casual (less tuxes less long gowns). Also the west coast cruises are more casual - Mexico and Alaska. Holiday cruises - Christmas and New Years will be more festive with more bling and more black tie attire.

Not always true, our 5 day on the Explorer to Bermuda was ultra dressy. The formal nights were FORMAL and the casual nights were more like semi formal.

It must depend on the sailings or time of the year as my cruises on the Explorer always seem to lean toward more casual. For formal evenings men are in suits or just dress shirts and ties, women are in cocktail dresses and slacks, and casual and smart casual seems to be about the same with men wearing polo's and ladies in slacks or simple dresses. My 5 night Bermuda cruises have been the most casual of all and only a handful of men wore sports coats in June but it was very hot. In Oct. there were more suits then just shirts and ties. We always have 830 seating in the Magellan so it must just vary. Actually there were not any smart casual on any of my 5 nights only casual and 1 formal and my nine nights only 1 smart casual and 2 formals. In Oct. we really seen it all in the dining room on all nights including lots of shorts. :)

Smart Casual use to mean a sport jacket for men and chic dresses or fancy pantsuits for ladies.

Now, I believe it includes a polo shirt with collar for men and sundresses or more casual dresses and slacks for ladies.

P.S. You will find some ladies wearing capri pants on casual nights, and some men wearing 3 button Henley tees, or other nice tee shirts with dockers on regular casual nights in the dining room so you would be safe packing those as well. :)

Thanks for the help. We will be on the 12/2 Explorer cruise out of Cape Liberty, NJ to the Caribbean so it looks like we will have 3 formal nights, 2 smart casual and the rest casual.

Any more suggestions are always appreciated.

I use to bring very formal gowns, then gradually went to cocktail dresses, and the past couple of years I've narrowed it down to a black chiffon skirt (knee length), a pair of black chiffon wide-leg palazzo pants, and three tops (creme satin blouse, black chiffon blouse, & Chico's chiffon beaded jacket). The lightweight items don't wrinkle and they take up no space.

Other than that, my only advice is that you don't worry about what others think; but just enjoy your cruise. Some of my friends will be your shipmates, so I know you will have a wonderful time. :)

I think you'll find that the women will be better dressed than the men EVERY night of the cruise. After all, we want to turn heads! Even on 'casual' nights, the females really looked good--definitely more than what I consider casual. Nice heels, dressy top, dressy capris or slacks or skirt. Very few "sundresses" which tend to be really casual.

From what I have observed on my cruises, the distinction has blurred. It seems to me I have seen two kinds of dinner attire - formal and non-formal. I cruise to relax, so I dress nicely, but comfortably, in slacks, capris and nice tops. Don't worry too much about it!

I always wear whatever will go with my bejeweled sandals since cruising is the only time I get to wear them!

Even on the casual nights, I tend to dress up a bit. Like one of the other posters, I take a pair of black palazzo pants and a satin skirt for formal nights and enough glitzy blouses to get me through the cruise. I can alternate the bottoms and it all works back to the shoes!

Archived