WE DID IT! We climbed Gros Piton!!

weloverunning

We (family of seven) just returned this morning from the Pearl. We were able to fulfill our (my) goal to climb Gros Piton. We rented a car ahead of time from Costless who met us at the port with the car. We then drove the 1 1/4 drive to the base of Gros Piton. It took us 2 1/2 hours to hike up and about 1 1/2 hours to climb down. We hung out up on top for about 15 minutes. So roundtrip it was 4-4 1/2 hours. We then drove back to Casteries stopping along the way to take pictures. I have to admit...it was more difficult to climb than I thought it would be but did it anyway:D

We (family of seven) just returned this morning from the Pearl. We were able to fulfill our (my) goal to climb Gros Piton. We rented a car ahead of time from Costless who met us at the port with the car. We then drove the 1 1/4 drive to the base of Gros Piton. It took us 2 1/2 hours to hike up and about 1 1/2 hours to climb down. We hung out up on top for about 15 minutes. So roundtrip it was 4-4 1/2 hours. We then drove back to Casteries stopping along the way to take pictures. I have to admit...it was more difficult to climb than I thought it would be but did it anyway:D

GOOD FOR YOU!

But I couldn't help but wonder what your family and fellow travelors think of accompanying you on their (your) goals?! :D Just kidding, summiting the Pitons would certainly make a memory! There's a nice beach located between the peaks Anse des Pitons - maybe next time...

Woodofpine: It was hubby, me and our four sons and one daughter-in-law. The agreement (which they agreed upon before we booked the trip) was we would pay for all of them to cruise if they had dinner with us every night and climbed Gros Piton. They kept their part of the deal as did we:D

Mary: You are so right. We were concerned about the time line so it was not a leasurely hike. We also had the added pressure of having had two flat tires-one on Sunday in Samana and one on Monday in Tortola (no jack in rental car:mad: ) so there was a little stress about getting back in time. However, we did check to make sure there was a jack in the rental this time. We arrived back to port and turned in car with 35 minutes to spare before the last tender.

• 3 weeks later...

This climb looks like something my wife and I would like to try. How far is the trailhead from the dock? Can we walk or bike to it?

Did you use a guide for the climb? I see on the trail website that a guide is required/recommended.

Thanks,

Paul R

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Rlyans: I bumped this up for you. Make sure you look at thread #11 where I posted some pictures. I am the mom who is 53 years old and while it was tiring, there was never the possibility that I wouldn't make it. (Heck, I'd have to listen to my fours sons the rest of my life)

We just shopped at the local stores (there's an indoor mall with lots of stores at the pier) upon our return. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks rpbcouple, We are talking about trying to do the climb. My wife said she wants to see alittle town. (my kids are all for the climb) You do make it sound like it could be rush...rush... we have a few months to decide. Thanks for your input. Rlyans

• 2 years later...

Archived