Mendenhall Glacier advice wanted

seaplus

We're wondering whether the temperatures at the glacier are signigicantly cooler than in Juneau proper. On the Mendenhall Glacier website ([url="http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/"]http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/[/url]) it says the temperature is in the 60's range. But the Juneau weather ([url="http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/AKZ025.php?warncounty=AKC110&city=Juneau"]http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/AKZ025.php?warncounty=AKC110&city=Juneau[/url]) says temperatures of mid 80's. Has anybody been there recently? How do we need to dress?

Other questions are: How physically fit do you need to be to see the glacier? Is there a lot of hiking involved? Will an old lady with bad knees be able to enjoy the visit, or will she be stuck sitting in the bus. How far is it from the cruise ship dock to the glacier?

Any descriptions of summer visits to Mendenhall Glacier will be appreciated, as well as any advice regarding things you WISH you had known before you visited.

Thanks.

Mendenhall Glacier was one of the highpoints of our cruise in May. While there are trails to be hiked if one wishes - it's not necessary. There is a wonderful visitor's center that has an elevator near where the bus disembarks passengers. While we did not go up to the visitor's center - I can imagine the views from there were spectacular. Having said that - I was amazed at how well you can view the glacier from the roadway - it can even be seen from (what seems like) miles away.

Do go to see it....it is very accessible. As for temperatures: both my husband and I wore our windbreakers while at the glacier site and were comfortable, however when we returned to Juneau, it was warm enough to remove them and we were in shirtsleeves the remainder of the day (again - we were there in May). We always kept our windbreakers with us whenever we disembarked the ship - we were never uncomfortable - in fact we usually ended up removing them as the day progressed.

I can't remember exactly how far mileage-wise the glacier is from Juneau - but it didn't seem to be too far at all. When we disembarked the ship in Juneau we grabbed a city tour (MGT) which included the glacier. It was worth the small price as we had done this cruise last year and just walked around the town - this time I got a guide. Think the tour was 3-4 hours.

Please enjoy your cruise.

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=

(AKA/Sharon and Will)

REMBRANDT - Med. 9/1998: and so it begins!
LEGEND OF THE SEA - Med. 5/1999
SPLENDOR OF THE SEA - Med. 5/2000
INFINITY - Hawaii 4/2001
MILLIE -Med. - 5/2002 (X No Go)
RHAPSODY OF THE SEA - Mardi Gras - 2/2002
INFINITY - Trans-Canal - 12/2002
SUMMIT - Alaska Repo Cruise - 5/2003
INFINITY - Trans-Canal - 12/2003
SUMMIT - Alaska Repo Cruise - 5/2004

And next:

MILLIE (finally!)- 5/15/2005 back to the beautiful MEDITERRANEAN!

**No clock - too much trouble - but I'LL KNOW EXACTLY WHEN MILLIE LEAVES FOR THE MEDITERRANEAN**
(5/15/05!!)

The glacier was about 20-25 minutes from the dock. There are good views of the glacier from several places that someone who has trouble walking could see. Visitor Center or on the photo trail just oustide. I dont recall any big hills or steps on the trail, but there might have been a few. You can also see the glacier right from the parking lot. There are about 10 steps down to a sheltered area that has an explanation of the area and a good view for those who cant walk far. I wouldnt think she would have much trouble finding a good view spot somewhere. I took the $5 bus out ($10 rt) and skipped the city tour since I had been there before. If you want to just do the glacier, this is a good bargain.

It is a 20 min shuttle bus ride from downtown Juneau. You have a glacier view at the bus drop off, but even with limited walking you can take the photo trail for closer views. You may also be interested in the TOUR buses at the docks, a good one is run by MGT and offers good narration of Juneau sights and you won't have to wait in line for a return shuttle bus. Lines can be long depending on how many ships in port.

Just returned yesterday from northbound Carnival Spirit cruise. It was so hot at Mendenhall (we took the $10 roundtrip bus, too, by the way and agree it is a great value) that we opted not to do much walking that didn't involve shade! Totally amazing. What beautiful, clear views of the glacier, mountains, and lake, with such weather....no complaints from our end. I do agree with the taking a windbreaker advice, by the way, 85+ degrees or not...you never know.

Don't know if it was this thread or not, but I had asked you a question about a certain trail from the Glacier to a waterfall. You had said that there was a shorter route, and I haven't seen an answer. Maybe it got lost when the Bb switched over. Can you help me with this??

[url]http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/index.html[/url]

The East Loop trail goes to the water fall next to the glacier- no glacier access. But it looks like others have just followed the lake on an "unofficial" walk - no climbing. :)

[quote name='Giantfan13']Any specifics on the 'unofficial' walk, like direction distance et al, as opposed to the regular trail?????[/QUOTE]
We just followed the lake shore with the falls in sight, taking as direct a path to the falls as we could. Even this way is well worn and some of the walking was on a path that might be part of the East Loop trail, am not sure. The map shows the distance to the falls to be about 2 miles although the walk didn't seem that long, maybe because we were enjoying the scenery. :) It's pretty flat except for one small rocky area that is maybe 200 yards or so from the falls.

From the visitor center- you will walk past it and have the lake on your left, the path on the right. This is not part of the East Loop trail, which starts off the Interpretive trail behind the visitor center.

Archived