a handful of questions from a first timer cruiser

hoophome

Hi all,

I'm taking my first cruise on the Spirit to the Mexican Riviera 12/8/07 :D. I've been lurking here reading and learning from all the experts for a couple months...the useful info I've picked up has been fantastic and has made me so much more confident I'm going to have a wonderful time. I do have a couple completely random questions though I'd like some answers to

1. I read so much about the attire in the dining room on formal night. My question is about the non-formal nights. Can I wear sneakers in teh dining room? I have a foot condition and my sneakers are customized for me. I can wear shoes for limited periods of time (formal nights), but ideally I should be in sneakers as much as possible.

2. I arrive in san Diego the day before...I've never been to San Diego...any good tips what to do in San Diego on my 1 night there?

3. What are the "must have" documents to bring onshore?

4. When I was growing up it was a running joke to not drink the water in Mexico. Is this still true? Just stick exclusively to bottled water when in port?

5. From this board I've leanred about smuggling liquor onboard, and plan to bring either some in water bottles, mouthwash bottles or just buy plastic liquor bottles But what about on the plane to san diego? I don't fly very often and I certainly don't want to raise any red flags with TSA for my checked luggage. Can you pack alcohol in your check in luggage for a plane?

Sorry I know some of these are naive questions, and some are more approrpaite for other forums here, but thanks in advance for any insight you can offer to my questions

Hi, welcome to cruising and we hope you have a fabulous time.

The Riviera....someday we will cruise there too, would love to. We're kinda new at cruising too, but here goes:

We think you should be able to wear sneakers (especially your special need ) on nonformal nights--even on formal night should be considered, my husband has, and I have too.

Been to San Diego, had fun at SeaWorld.

Drivers license, ship ID sail & sign card.

We didn't drink water in Mexico when there last Oct. Drank bottled water and have lived to talk about it.

Bring plastic bottles, can order soft undetectable bottles at a TSA site, also Rumrunner.com, we think it was.

Have fun..............

Carnival allows 1 bottle of wine per pax, they will allow you to bring on some liquor. Believe me they KNOW about every container you could think of to smuggle more onto the ship, dont bother. If they clamp down, which Carnival is pretty lax about compared to RCI, they know about mouth wash bottles etc.

Yes, you can wear sneakers in the dining room. Iv never seen any rules about them. If formal night hopefully you have some that arent too worn looking.

Sometimes they check your sea pass to make sure you are getting on the right ship?? Whatever reason, but bring a picture ID also to shore, they will usually tell you when you need it to get back onto the ship and which ports. I just bring my passport and sea pass card, but drivers license works too.

1. I'm sure the fashion police will let you wear sneakers since you had a medical reason.:cool:

2. We were just in San Diego in Oct. (and cruised Mex Riviera on Dawn Princess) Choose one: Zoo, trolley tour, seaworld, Coronado island and harbor tour. You can also eat in Old Town (Mexican) or check out the gaslamp district or hit one of several museums in Balboa Park.

3. What Minn.cruisers said.

4. We didnt' "drink" the water, but we did have drinks made with ice at resorts and at Cabo Wabo in Cabo San Lucas and had no problem.

5. We don't bring liquor, it's just easier to buy drinks onboard.

Hi, welcome to cruising and we hope you have a fabulous time.

The Riviera....someday we will cruise there too, would love to. We're kinda new at cruising too, but here goes:

We think you should be able to wear sneakers (especially your special need ) on nonformal nights--even on formal night should be considered, my husband has, and I have too.

Been to San Diego, had fun at SeaWorld.

Drivers license, ship ID sail & sign card.

We didn't drink water in Mexico when there last Oct. Drank bottled water and have lived to talk about it.

Bring plastic bottles, can order soft undetectable bottles at a TSA site, also Rumrunner.com, we think it was.

Have fun..............

The TSA won't be worried about the liquid in your check luggage so I wouldn't worry about the stuff being 'detectable'... The Rumrunner flasks are fantastic.... www.rumrunner.com and they're very reasonably priced, reusable and almost indestructible. I'd recommend them for water, your special energy drink or whatnot...

That all being said, we all know that brining booze on board is against the rules and no one here would ever violate the rules just to be able to have a cocktail out on the balcony without having to run after it or have room service deliver it... Right???

;)

Hi all,

I'm taking my first cruise on the Spirit to the Mexican Riviera 12/8/07 :D. I've been lurking here reading and learning from all the experts for a couple months...the useful info I've picked up has been fantastic and has made me so much more confident I'm going to have a wonderful time. I do have a couple completely random questions though I'd like some answers to

1. I read so much about the attire in the dining room on formal night. My question is about the non-formal nights. Can I wear sneakers in teh dining room? I have a foot condition and my sneakers are customized for me. I can wear shoes for limited periods of time (formal nights), but ideally I should be in sneakers as much as possible.

Your sneakers will be fine on non-format nights.

2. I arrive in san Diego the day before...I've never been to San Diego...any good tips what to do in San Diego on my 1 night there?

Sorry can't help here.

Drivers license(picture ID) and sail & sign card.

4. When I was growing up it was a running joke to not drink the water in Mexico. Is this still true? Just stick exclusively to bottled water when in port?

Stick to bottled water.

5. From this board I've leanred about smuggling liquor onboard, and plan to bring either some in water bottles, mouthwash bottles or just buy plastic liquor bottles But what about on the plane to san diego? I don't fly very often and I certainly don't want to raise any red flags with TSA for my checked luggage. Can you pack alcohol in your check in luggage for a plane?

Your plans should work fine.

Sorry I know some of these are naive questions, and some are more approrpaite for other forums here, but thanks in advance for any insight you can offer to my questions

Enjoy your cruise and be prepared to get hooked. DW and I completed our first cruise a couple weeks ago and can't wait to book another.:D

sorry, but I think firefly is overly paranoid. I don't want to start a whole acholol debate but, TSA has no rules about alcohol in packed luggage. We like our martinis and bring Kettle One on every cruise. We have brought it in liter water bottles and just in the bottle, with the label, bubble wrapped. This is not a federal crime. The worst they will do is confiscate it and return it to you on the last night. I have never had a problem nor has any of our friends or relatives who cruise. My cabin steward brought us limes and kept our ice full, the bartenders will happily give you as many olives as you like. And yes, I tip both of them in cash, for their outstanding customer service.

One night stay in San diego...

Well i have to assume you want to do dinner Old Town is great for that so is the Gas Light District...Lots of shops and things there also ...but for a special Dinner try Anthony's Fish Grotto right by the pier where the Boat leaves, Great Great food and you can check out how to get there in the morning.They are a little Pricey but worth every dime. Here is there website.:)

http://www.gofishanthonys.com/grottomenu.html

You have already received lots of good advise on your questions. I can give you a couple other suggestions for your night in San Diego. If you will just be here for the evening you can go to SeaWorld (as suggested before). We also have the Gaslamp district downtown (eateries, pubs etc) Old Town (which has some great Mexican food) or Sea Port Village, which has shops and food (like the Bayside Market Place in Miami). If you get here during daytime, and have an interest, you could visit the Midway, which is fasinating. All of these places are very easy to get to by taxi or the trolley system. The Midway is actually about 1 block away from where your ship will dock. I love the San Diego harbor area! Have a great time in Southern California.

sorry, but I think firefly is overly paranoid. I don't want to start a whole acholol debate but, TSA has no rules about alcohol in packed luggage. .

I had to go back and reread what I wrote.....to try to figure out how you could say I was overly paranoid and mention TSA. My sentence about alchohol says NOTHING about bring it on a plane and TSA doesnt check ships.

I said I have never known Carnival to crack down on bringing aboard alchohol like on a RCL cruise I took last Easter when RCL cracked down. They caught every mouthwash bottle and plastic water bottle of everyone on our CC roll call, thats why I said dont bother changing to another bottle, the cruiselines know its achohol.

(note I didnt say dont bother not bringing it...I said dont bother changing bottles to fool them, they know). I think folks misread stuff and then love to jump on what they think you said or meant. I hate when folks cant read and then jump on me because of their own misreading. grrrrrrr

On casual nights you can wear sneakers with like dockers and a polo shirt.

If you are in San Diego during the night only, I recommend the Gas Lamp district, which is on 5th Ave, just a few blocks up Broadway. Lots of restaurants and Pubs there.

If you are there during the daytime, The San Diego Zoo would be a pretty cool place to check out or Sea World.

Must have Docs to bring ashore are Sail & Sign card and a Photo ID. In Mexico the ID is required.

Its is still true about the Water in Mexico. In fact Wendy and her Sister got sick from drinking their Mexican Bottle Water. I didn't drink that water so I was ok. The water at the Restaurants there in Mexico are filtered but I still wouldn't take a chance. Make sure you bring your own bottle water and refill it once onboard before you debark. Carnival will have a person selling their bottle water as you exit the ship if you want to buy one.

Watch what you pack in your luggage as the planes compartment is pressurized and something can burst in your luggage. I always recommend to just buy the items once you get to San Diego or where ever you are going.

Fred

Shoes.......I hate them too! I have foot issues as well. On formal night I wear my dress shoes into the dining room & then slip them off under the table! Then on other nights I wear what is comfortable. Heck, I've even taken my shoes off & walked barefoot through the halls on the way back to the room. Be comfortable - you're on vacation!

Alexis

We're flying to San Diego Thursday for the 11/30 Spirit sailing. Yahoooo!

Hi all,

Nobody cares what's on your feet (except maybe flip flops) in the dining room. Be comfortable.

There's restaurants, San Diego zoo, Sea World, and Old Town San Diego near by. Our first stop will be a grocery store (Albertson's which is 1 mile from our hotel), to purchase soft drinks and some libations to take onboard.

passport, driver's license, S&S card

Bring a couple bottles of water with you onboard and refill in your room or at the Lido deck buffet when you go onshore. The water onboard from the tap is very good. Don't purchase the bottled water on board -- too expensive! And it tastes terrible!

Pack your bottles in bubble wrap then into large baggies and send it through checked luggage. At the ship, give your bags to the porter, don't carry them on. They will be at your cabin door safe and sound.

oh, when I mentioned TSA above (didn't mean to cause a stir...:confused: ), but what I meant was there are sites on TSA where they have supplies for travel, packing,etc...for travelers to order. Then there is less problems at the airports because all the stuff is packed correctly, and safely (bursting bottles...whether they are booze or even shampoo/conditioners/lotions) I pack each bottle in a separate ziplock because of my lotion all over everything in a large ziplock last cruise...thank goodness I had them in a ziplock or I would have had to have all my stuff cleaned...:eek: .

They also have a nice spa basket for about $80 you can order from the ship bonvoyage gifts and it is in your cabin on embarkation (haven't ordered it, but really want to.....could be worth it.

I have seen couples wearing slippers to the formal nights in their fancy dresses and suits. If your dress is long enough no one will know. It's your vacation and you need to be comfortable. If you are wearing a nice dress or other outfit with your comfortable shoes, no one should care and if they do they need to get a life.

Welcome..... This is a great place for a first timer. I wish I had found it before my first cruise. Boy the time and money I could have saved.

I can only imagine what it is like to have foot issues. I think you've gotten some pretty good suggestions here, I may even use them myself. After a day in port I want to be comfortable.

San Diego is a beautiful city. We lived on the south side for 5 years and I agree that the Gas Lamp District and Old Town are great suggestions if you just want to get a feel for the city. Since you have foot problems you may want to limit your walking - but I love to people watch. Take the ferry over to Coronado - they used to have a great mexican resturant not far from where the ferry boats dock called Mexican Village (maybe someone can let us both know if it's still there).

Take a copy of the capers, an ID and your S&S card off the ship (they won't let you off without your S&S). There is an emergency number in the Capers that you can call if you run into problem while onshore. I agree - do not take your passport off the ship. Some make a copy of the passport and take it off - that way they at least have the number.

All the ports will sell bottled water. I usually take a 6 pack of the smaller bottles and throw them in a backpack. I return to the ship with the empties and refill them from the filtered water stations on the ship.

As far as booze I would just wait until you get to SD or buy the plastic bottles if possible. Leave it in the original container.

I have other helpful tips and hints on my website - www.seauonboard.com

Hi all,

Answer: I am sure you can get away with it because of your medical condition. Just try to dress appropiatly nice slacks or nice jeans, nice top. Dont go overboard and wear sweatpants, shorts tshirts etc..

My husband and I used to live near San Diego a few years ago. I would suggest take a trolley to Balboa Park to see the different museums and see the World Famous San Diego Zoo. Go to the bay... Go to the Gas Lamp Quater (nice restaurants and bars). Also Old Town San Diego is so quaint (wish I went there more often). Also you will only b 30 minutes away from Mexico. Go to Rosirito Beach for Lunch at Vince's. Rosirito is 20 minutes south of the border. They also filmed Titantic there. I think there is a musuem dedicated to it, but I never went there. SAN DIEGO is an awesome city and I do miss it very much.

3. What are the "must have" documents to bring onshore? Bring your passports, DLs, all your documents to board the ship. Do what I do, TAKE EVERTHING!

4. When I was growing up it was a running joke to not drink the water in Mexico. Is this still true? Just stick exclusively to bottled water when in port? I have two parts to this answer. My first visit to Cancun when I was 19 (10 years ago) I think I got very ill from drinking the water. However, when I lived near Mexico 5 years ago I went there often and did drink ice cubes in my soda and never got sick. I think most reputable establishments have purified ice and water. Never got sick once. But do what I do. Take your own bottled water (i usually choose two bottles per per person per port and pack that with me)

WOW great question. Always talked about on the boards. I have done several things and passed this along recently to my friend. I bought two boxed wines (they have some great vintages now - dont buy those large ones, the smaller ones that usually equate to two bottles of wine). I also used water bottles and put some clear vodka and also used water bottles and put martini mixers. And yes you can pack it in your luggage. don't use mouthwash bottles. You should be fine. Also enjoy the drinks on board.

Good Luck to you, from another east coaster! Enjoy your cruise out there, go to an in an out burger and have some fabulous fish tacos and seafood burritos while in San Diego!

If you are looking for a very inspiring event in San Diego almost every Friday morning on the Marine MCRD (Marine Corps Recruit Depot) base next to the SD airport the Marines graduate 300-500 new Marines. The graduation event is open to the public and begins about 9am and is over by 1130am.

We went two years ago to a nephew's graduation and it is a event no one will ever forget. Hearing the Marine band perform and seeing 500 new Marines step out onto the Parade deck to the Marine Corps Hymn is a sight that will raise goose bumps on all.

Shoes.......I hate them too! I have foot issues as well. On formal night I wear my dress shoes into the dining room & then slip them off under the table! Then on other nights I wear what is comfortable. Heck' date=' I've even taken my shoes off & walked barefoot through the halls on the way back to the room. Be comfortable - you're on vacation!

Alexis[/quote']

Hey that's me... hate shoes.. On formal night they are kicked off under the table and carried back to the room.

If you are looking for a very inspiring event in San Diego almost every Friday morning on the Marine MCRD (Marine Corps Recruit Depot) base next to the SD airport the Marines graduate 300-500 new Marines. The graduation event is open to the public and begins about 9am and is over by 1130am.

We went two years ago to a nephew's graduation and it is a event no one will ever forget. Hearing the Marine band perform and seeing 500 new Marines step out onto the Parade deck to the Marine Corps Hymn is a sight that will raise goose bumps on all.

This is a fantastic idea!!

I believe the OP is referring to shore excursions once the trip starts. Do you take your passport off in Mexico?

I take either my driver's license or passport, whichever is closer to hand. Once I had a bottle of water in my backpack and it leaked onto my passports and I had to put them under books to flatten out the pages, so its probably a better idea to bring your DL.

Here's my 2 pennies worth.

1. wear what you want. If I can't wear what I want (I'm not a slob wearing holy t-shirts okay), then I'll do the buffet cuz I'm okay with that too.

2. San Diego is my favorite city. I vacation every year there with my kids. You've heard some great suggestions. Websites with info: http://www.a-zsandiegobeaches.com/cardiff.htm & http://san-diego-attractions.10-best.info/index.html

Some of my favorite things to do include Belmont Park which is in Mission Beach (Sea World area) that has shops and amusement park rides and lots of beach areas. http://www.belmontpark.com/ Get a wristband for all the rides for $22. I love Seaport Village near the marina/harbor. http://www.seaportvillage.com/ Lots of shops to look thru, restaurants, harbor. Within walking distance from there is the USS Midway & Museum http://www.midway.org/site/pp.asp?c=eeIGLLOrGpF&b=3038957 and there is also the harbor tours/cruises which are very reasonably priced and a fun activity. Hornblower cruises are $17 for a 1 hour cruise & $22 for a 2 hour. http://www.hornblower.com/port.asp?port=sd

There is also the Birch Aquarium at Scripp's http://www.sandiegonorth.com/birch_aquarium.asp

I haven't been there but my brother & SIL loved it. Of course the usual stuff like Sea World, Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Legoland etc. But most of these things are pretty pricey so I tend to do things that are under $20pp.

No answer for your other questions. Good luck and have fun.

Archived