San Diego Public Transportation Question

rlkubi

We will be in San Diego in March and staying at the Old Town Inn. My grandparents are buried in Holy Cross Cemetery and I would like to visit their gravesite while there. Is there public transportation that would easily get me there or will I need to rent a car? Thank you so much!

While I am sure you can get a bus to Holy Cross you would have to travel through some of the dicey areas of San Diego going that route, and may have to change buses several times. I would recommend either renting a car or taking a cab.

Holy Cross is on the edge of Encanto just south of the Martin Luther King Freeway (Hwy 94) and just east of Hwy 805. It is the largest cemetery in San Diego.

If you really want to try public transportation, you can do route planning here:

http://www.sdcommute.com/

Splinter, thank you so much! We are staying at the Best Western Bayside the night before the cruise so that wouldn't be too far from the cemetery would it? A cab ride wouldn't be that expensive would it? I think maybe it would be better to stop there before the cruise for a short time. The cemetery isn't in a bad area is it?

Thank you for all your help!

A cab will probably run you $25-30 one way. Be sure to arrange for them to come back to pick you up, as you won't find cabs to hail in that area.

The cemetery itself is fairly safe during the day, but the neighborhood (Encanto)that comes right up around it is not a very safe area.

Getting there on public transit is possible (see the posts above) but those of us who live here have already advised them to NOT take public transit to this location, so it is not going to help them to post more information about public transit.

Personally, I would rent a car. You could get a car for two days for what a cab would cost you, it would be quick, and you would have the car to do other sight seeing in the area. There are a number of agencies close to both your hotel, the port, and the airport.

Archived