What Is A Tender?

TravelGal22

The tender is included in the cost of your cruise. You do not have to pay, not even tip. It depends on the port and the time of day whether the tender requires a long wait to get back to the ship.

An example of a situation that may require a long wait is in Grand Cayman on a day when four or more large ships are in port. If you are in a situation such as that be sure to allow plenty of time to get back to the ship.

Another problem can be the wait involved in getting on the tender to leave the ship to go to shore. The longest wait I have ever experienced to get on a tender to go to shore was in Grand Cayman.

The quickest tenders I have experienced are the ones at Labadee, but again that does depend on the time of day.

I'm glad I asked. We will be in the Grand Caymen from 7am-2pm. The tour I want to go on is with a very reputable company but it is not through the ship. The tour is 5 hours. Do you think I'll have a problem?

Honestly, I think you're cutting it fine. 7am is an estimated time of arrival, and even if they do start the tendering at that time on the dot, people on ship tours have priority. Likewise, you'll probably be wanting to tender back at least 1/2 hour before the departure time of 2pm.

I'm glad I asked. We will be in the Grand Caymen from 7am-2pm. The tour I want to go on is with a very reputable company but it is not through the ship. The tour is 5 hours. Do you think I'll have a problem?

I agree.... cutting it too close. As mentioned... you will not be able to get on a tender right away... ship tours get priority. Add the ride in and the ride back (each 20-30 min). You also need to be back aboard at least a 1/2 hour prior, so last tender will probably be at 1-2:30. There just isn't 5 hours in there..... plus any hickup and you will be able to get a great picture of your ship sailing away. :eek:

With such a limited time in port ... I would go with the ship's tour to be sure you can see what you want to see.

Archived