Holland America Pricing

tutak

We have never sailed Holland America before and thought we might look into booking with them. When I went to the Holloand America website, I looked up their pricing policy and found this:

If cost factors dictate the need for fare increases, Holland America Line may do so at any time prior to departure. Guests can cancel (without paying a cancellation fee) rather than accept a fare increase. This right does not apply to increases in Taxes or to Surcharges, as described below.

It seems to me that we could fly into the port of embarkation, board the ship and then be told that they are raising the fare $100pp, $200pp or any amount that they wish. Out only option would be to cancel the cruise, leave the ship and try to find a flight home. If they decide to impose a new or increased surcharge of any amount that they choose, our only option would be to leave the ship and lose the already paid full fare since we wouldn't be able to cancel. Have I missed something here?

This language has been in the HAL cruise contract as long as I have been sailing with HAL. Most people do not read their cruise contract, regardless of cruise line. It looks to me like HAL might be trying to make it clear that the price can change.

It's funny how we consumers expect the benefit of subsequent price reductions that may occur between booking and final payment date yet are unwilling to grasp that in order for this to be true the door must eventually swing both ways.

My crystal ball says that cruising with mass-marketed cruise lines, for typical 7-10 day sails, is trending towards airline ticketing meaning nothing is certain until you pay in full and then it's not refundable and a change incurs a fee.

In otherwords, we might be approaching a time where it is no longer possible to have our cake and eat it too.

Yes, I am one of the weirdo's who reads the contract. I have been on Carnival and RCCL and Both have that clause in their contracts along with Hal.

Dont worry so much, its true they can raise the price, so can most other contracts, ie: credit cards (they can raise interest w/out notice).

I know its stressful for new cruisers, let the stress of a cost increase go and worry about things you can control.

Enjoy!

We are booked on HAL in December of 2008 and we just got notice that there will be an additional fuel charge of $7 per day per person. Since we have a 17 day cruise this is quite expensive. This time they are capping the additional charge at $70.00 per person. They can and they obviously do add charges after the cruise is booked. By the way, we booked this cruise last August.

We are booked on HAL in December of 2008 and we just got notice that there will be an additional fuel charge of $7 per day per person. Since we have a 17 day cruise this is quite expensive. This time they are capping the additional charge at $70.00 per person. They can and they obviously do add charges after the cruise is booked. By the way, we booked this cruise last August.

Yes, every cruise line (except Disney) has added a fuel surcharge. There are differing daily amounts and different times and implementations - the Carnival group (which includes HAL) is among the lower fees at $5/day/pp.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2274

Yes, every cruise line (except Disney) has added a fuel surcharge. There are differing daily amounts and different times and implementations - the Carnival group (which includes HAL) is among the lower fees at $5/day/pp.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2274

My concern has nothing to do with the fuel charge. The statement from Holland America website seems to indicate that the cruise fare itself can be increased at any time until departure. This seems that I am giving them my credit card information and telling them to charge me whatever they want and let me know what the fare is at the sailaway party.

There is only history with which to predict the future---

I have sailed HAL since 1978; this clause was in the contract then. However, to my knowledge HAL has never raised the price of a cruise under deposit. They have raised the price for new bookings on the same cruise.

HAL has charged increased port fees/taxes up to date of departure, and I understand charged an increase in the Panama Canal transit fee that occurred during the cruise. It was a minimal amount.

This new "fuel surcharge" is the only time I have heard of such being applied. This was added only to bookings outside the final payment period.

Can HAL increase the price of your cruise---even up to the point of embarkation? Yes. Will they? Historically, the answer is "no".

I just finished reading my weekly online cruise newsletter which detailed all cruise line fuel surcharges. HAL was grouped under Carnival with a $7.00pp surcharge (first and second person) but not to exceed $70.00 . This charges applies to ALL existing and future bookings that depart on or after February 1, 2008.

I just finished reading my weekly online cruise newsletter which detailed all cruise line fuel surcharges. HAL was grouped under Carnival with a $7.00pp surcharge (first and second person) but not to exceed $70.00 . This charges applies to ALL existing and future bookings that depart on or after February 1, 2008.

Well, the HAL website says:

Note:Fuel supplement of $5.00 per guest, per day applies to all sailings on or after February 1, 2008.

The maximum charge is $70.00 per guest.

The Cruisecritic News article says $5/pp/day:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2267

There is only history with which to predict the future---

I have sailed HAL since 1978; this clause was in the contract then. However, to my knowledge HAL has never raised the price of a cruise under deposit. They have raised the price for new bookings on the same cruise.

HAL has charged increased port fees/taxes up to date of departure, and I understand charged an increase in the Panama Canal transit fee that occurred during the cruise. It was a minimal amount.

This new "fuel surcharge" is the only time I have heard of such being applied. This was added only to bookings outside the final payment period.

Can HAL increase the price of your cruise---even up to the point of embarkation? Yes. Will they? Historically, the answer is "no".

Agree with RuthC - however, it's important to note that HAL spells out each charge -

Cruise cost;

Port charges;

Taxes;

Canal transit fee

and the new Fuel surcharge.

I've never seen the 'Cruise cost' figure increase so altho your 'bottom line' may increase, the actual cruise is still costing the same!

Never known increases being applied after final payment has been made. Your TA is advised of your outstanding balance well in advance of the actual due date and is required to advise you accordingly. That's when you can back out - and even get your money back:)

Archived