Question about class?....

Now that i have everyones ears, bet you were expecting to grab the tub of popcorn and read about jeans in the DR type stuff....:eek:

I was reading a post today which was saying something about the Vision being the last of its class, which is true, and got me thinking. When speaking of different classes of ships it is normally the first ship of the class that the class of ships takes as its name. Why is Vision the opposite?...It should be Legend class, but yet we all know and have accepted it as the Vision class. Dont know if this has been discussed before, not something thats gonna keep me up all night or anything, but it is the only class out of any cruise lines ships i know that is this way.

Any thoughts?....

Now that i have everyones ears, bet you were expecting to grab the tub of popcorn and read about jeans in the DR type stuff....:eek:

I was reading a post today which was saying something about the Vision being the last of its class, which is true, and got me thinking. When speaking of different classes of ships it is normally the first ship of the class that the class of ships takes as its name. Why is Vision the opposite?...It should be Legend class, but yet we all know and have accepted it as the Vision class. Dont know if this has been discussed before, not something thats gonna keep me up all night or anything, but it is the only class out of any cruise lines ships i know that is this way.

Any thoughts?....

Unless I misremember my history, the class is generally associated with the first named ship. On some occasions this ship is never constructed, or delayed and built later in the series though usually it is the first actually constructed as well.

The kicker is that none of this is carved in stone. Other traditions and practices exist and are just as valid. There is no single overriding authority on class naming.

The six Vision class ships were built in three different shipyards, two in each of those yards. If I remember correctly all three shipyards had Vision class ships under construction at the same time. It's possible that Vision referred to that fact that these ships were considered a vision of the future of the cruise liners, and that the the Vision of the Seas was named later. It would be interesting to know what the real story was.

Petert

Here are the stats I was able to collect about those 2 ships.

Legend - 70,000 tons, 867 ft. long, 105 ft. beam, 2076 passengers

Vision - 78,500 tons, 915 ft. long, 106 ft. beam, 2435 passengers.

Really can't consider them the same class ships based upon these stats. Class ships, I believe, normally have the same keel size.

Here are the stats I was able to collect about those 2 ships.

Legend - 70,000 tons, 867 ft. long, 105 ft. beam, 2076 passengers

Vision - 78,500 tons, 915 ft. long, 106 ft. beam, 2435 passengers.

Really can't consider them the same class ships based upon these stats. Class ships, I believe, normally have the same keel size.

Thats why i am confused about them all being in the same class. There are 6 "Vision" class ships total. There are the Legend & Splendour, the Grandeur & Enchantment and the Rhapsody & Vision.

So should we actually have 3 classes then?....Since there are 3 sets of twins really?.....

I like to describe the vision class as not only 6 sisters, but 6 sisters that are 3 sets of twins. While its easy to tell that they all started from the same sets of plans, the first 2 (Legend & Splendour) were sort of "prototypes". They are smaller, actually smaller than the Sovereign class in every way. A lot of tweaking was done on the design after those 2, and the work was split between 2 shipyards in 2 countries, so the last 2 sets of twins, while showing lots of evolution from the first 2, mainly show only small differences between themselves, most of those due to the different construction yards.

This also explains why the Grandeur "could" be stretched like the Enchantment was if RCCL decided to do so. They were built in the same yard from the same plans. The Rhapsody & Vision, being built in a different yard, were not built in such a way that their major "building blocks" formed a single vertical line where they could be cut.

A little known fact is that Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel of the Seas were initially known as the "Vantage Class", not the "Radiance Class" most people know them as......even while the first two, Radiance and Brilliance were under construction.

Voyager and her sisters were supposed to be the EAGLE class, as I recall. But they were never named that. It continues to be the Voyager class. :)

Actually, RCCL renamed the "Eagle Class" to "Voyager Class" after Voyager of the Seas made her debut (about a year later if I recall). Explorer of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas were under construction when RCCL made the change.

Actually, RCCL renamed the "Eagle Class" to "Voyager Class" after Voyager of the Seas made her debut (about a year later if I recall). Explorer of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas were under construction when RCCL made the change.

Actually, I'm not sure that there was ever an "Eagle Class". When the idea for these ships came about it was referred to as "Project Eagle". I believe it became known as the "Voyager Class" when the name for the first ship was chosen.

Actually, I'm not sure that there was ever an "Eagle Class". When the idea for these ships came about it was referred to as "Project Eagle". I believe it became known as the "Voyager Class" when the name for the first ship was chosen.

Voyager of the Seas made her maiden voyage November 21, 1999. At that time, two "Eagle Class" ships, Explorer of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas were under construction and RCCL had orederd two more "Eagle Class" ships, Navigator of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas.

From Royal Caribbeans Press Release:

Miami- February 29, 2000 - Buoyed by the success of the revolutionary cruise ship Voyager of the Seas, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE & OSE: RCL) and Kvaerner Masa-Yards have reached a preliminary agreement to build the fourth and fifth Eagle-class vessels for Royal Caribbean International. The companies have signed a letter of intent which calls for two unnamed ships at a total contract price of 1.1 billion euros, which at today's exchange rate has a value of about $1.1 billion. The ships are due for delivery in 2002 and 2003. This letter of intent is subject to the fulfillment of certain conditions, such as financing by the shipyard.

And later that year:

MIAMI – March 29, 2000 - Royal Caribbean International has renamed its Eagle-class ships, “Voyager-class,” in recognition of the first vessel in the series (with 4 months of cruises under her belt) which introduced bold new design concepts and innovative onboard facilities. The name Eagle-class was derived from the original “Project Eagle” in 1996, before the prototype ship had been named.

“The word “Voyager” has become synonymous with innovation, creativity and imagination in cruise ship design,” said Jack Williams, president, Royal Caribbean International. “We believe that the Voyager-class name will clearly communicate to the public what they should expect from Voyager of the Seas’ sister ships, Explorer of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas.

A little known fact is that Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel of the Seas were initially known as the "Vantage Class", not the "Radiance Class" most people know them as......even while the first two, Radiance and Brilliance were under construction.

To add to this, RCCL had initially planned 6 (yes two more) Vantage/Radiance Class ships. Too bad they didn't build them. They are my favorite class.

Voyager of the Seas made her maiden voyage November 21, 1999. At that time, two "Eagle Class" ships, Explorer of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas were under construction and RCCL had orederd two more "Eagle Class" ships, Navigator of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas.

From Royal Caribbeans Press Release:

Miami- February 29, 2000 - Buoyed by the success of the revolutionary cruise ship Voyager of the Seas, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE & OSE: RCL) and Kvaerner Masa-Yards have reached a preliminary agreement to build the fourth and fifth Eagle-class vessels for Royal Caribbean International. The companies have signed a letter of intent which calls for two unnamed ships at a total contract price of 1.1 billion euros, which at today's exchange rate has a value of about $1.1 billion. The ships are due for delivery in 2002 and 2003. This letter of intent is subject to the fulfillment of certain conditions, such as financing by the shipyard.

And later that year:

MIAMI – March 29, 2000 - Royal Caribbean International has renamed its Eagle-class ships, “Voyager-class,” in recognition of the first vessel in the series (with 4 months of cruises under her belt) which introduced bold new design concepts and innovative onboard facilities. The name Eagle-class was derived from the original “Project Eagle” in 1996, before the prototype ship had been named.

“The word “Voyager” has become synonymous with innovation, creativity and imagination in cruise ship design,” said Jack Williams, president, Royal Caribbean International. “We believe that the Voyager-class name will clearly communicate to the public what they should expect from Voyager of the Seas’ sister ships, Explorer of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas.

It's good to know that there is someone out there that "knows" and is very adamant about their cruise ship history. Thanks guys!

It's good to know that there is someone out there that "knows" and is very adamant about their cruise ship history. Thanks guys!

No problem. Between 27 years of cruising on RCCL and "google" there's alot of ummm.... stuff in my head.:D

Archived