How do Alaskan cruises work?

Dsnyluvr

Can someone explain to me how cruises in Alaska work?

If the cruise is northbound, can only rooms on the right side see the glaciers and such? and vice-versa on southbound cruises? How come everyone says that the balconies on the back of the ship are the best? It seems like you wouldn't be able to see land at all.

To help orient yourself for your trip, I'd recommend getting a map of the Inside Passage. For much of the voyage, you'll be traveling within the Passage, which means you're not in the open ocean--there's islands between the ship and ocean. Because ships have to navigate through these myriad of islands, the view's constantly changing but always is of something.

There is a WIDE range of routing on north bound cruises, depending on the line, cpt. weather, luck. Some will definately have more open ocean that others. Total luck of the draw. On the Inside Passage- there is scenic viewing from both sides- part of the trip. As mentioned, you need to look at a map.

It isn't as simple as starboard going north. IF going to Glacier Bay/College Fjords AND you ONLY want glacier viewing from your cabin, then you need to strongly consider only a port side cabin.

As for aft cabins, people like them for lack of wind. My opinion only, they are a poor choice if wildlife is a priority, that needs tracking from ahead, not behind. :)

To help orient yourself for your trip, I'd recommend getting a map of the Inside Passage. For much of the voyage, you'll be traveling within the Passage, which means you're not in the open ocean--there's islands between the ship and ocean. Because ships have to navigate through these myriad of islands, the view's constantly changing but always is of something.

Do you know any good books that would have a map?

As for aft cabins, people like them for lack of wind. My opinion only, they are a poor choice if wildlife is a priority, that needs tracking from ahead, not behind. :)

The lack of wind would be a great advantage for me. I'm from the desert, and the cold won't sit well with me.

I wouldn't think that you would be able to see too many animals on the shore or do the ships really get that close to land? Those of us who want to see the wildlife will probably book excursions to see them. Do you by chance know if July is a good time to see bears? My mom was getting really excited about seeing them when we were talking at lunch today. I never would've guessed she would be so into it.

The main wildlife to look out for while on board the ship is the whales, mainly humpback whales, which are abundant in Alaskan water. Unless you are sailing through narrow passage, like Tracy's arm, the ship keeps a good distance from the shore. Even in Tracy's Arm, it is hard to spot animals on the shore without binoculars. We were able to see mountain goats, three black bears from the ship while cruising through Tracy's arm (that is with 10x binoculars' help). A good on board naturalist will be your excellent guide since he seems to know better where to look and gave you heads-up calls.

The lack of wind would be a great advantage for me. I'm from the desert, and the cold won't sit well with me.

I wouldn't think that you would be able to see too many animals on the shore or do the ships really get that close to land? Those of us who want to see the wildlife will probably book excursions to see them. Do you by chance know if July is a good time to see bears? My mom was getting really excited about seeing them when we were talking at lunch today. I never would've guessed she would be so into it.

Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, and request visitor guides. The MILEPOST, has maps that will help you.

Correct, the cruise ships, don't go real close to land, but with 10 power binoculars, you can see a lot. It also isn't just humpbacks that are plentiful, Dalls porpoises and Pacific White sided dolphins are also often seen.

As for bears- are you doing interior Alaska, with a one way cruise?? The best bear bargain around is Denali Park. :)

For a cruise only, you are wise to go on tours, far superior for sightings. I would suggest you look at mid July and later. Anan is my preference for a bear tour out of Ketchikan, mostly black bears, Pack Creek out of Juneau for browns.

As for bears- are you doing interior Alaska, with a one way cruise?? The best bear bargain around is Denali Park. :)

For a cruise only, you are wise to go on tours, far superior for sightings. I would suggest you look at mid July and later. Anan is my preference for a bear tour out of Ketchikan, mostly black bears, Pack Creek out of Juneau for browns.

We were just planning on doing the cruise. Is Anan a company? I bought a book, but my mom stole it. :( :p Is the bear tour very rigorous? She's had a hip replaced, but that doesn't slow her down too much.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

We're sailing Princess Alaska next year so ordered the Princess brochure from their web site. Included in the packet with the Princess cruise brochure is a wonderful huge (folds out to be poster size) that has lots of information to help. Since our cruise next year is with family and my husband and I have sailed Alaska once before, we are using the map that we all have to answer questions (some live in different states) as a reference during our phone and e-mail conversations. It's been a great free tool for us.

Have a great cruise,

Donna

The port side/starboard side argument for Alaska cruises is basically a myth. When you go into Glacier Bay, for example, the captain spins the ship on a 360 degree turn. Both sides of the ship get a good view (best way to do it is to book a balcony cabin, though, so that you avoid the crowds on the upper deck).

On the Inside Passage portions, both sides look pretty much the same, and the wildlife don't know which side of the ship you are on, so they appear pretty equally on both sides, too.

And they don't always dock the ship with the port side next to the pier, either. Which side they dock on depends on which ship(s) get into the port first and how the harbor master tells them to position, so you are just as likely to get a water side view as a city side view, not to mention that there is a lot of tendering going on in AK ports nowadays.

Still, as a former Princess employee, I can tell you that the supposed better side(s) of the ship sell out a lot faster than the more unpopular side(s), so it may be a moot issue at any rate, if you don't book 12-18 months early.

When you go into Glacier Bay, for example, the captain spins the ship on a 360 degree turn.

This was the missing piece for me. I couldn't figure out how all sides of the ship were going to see a glacier. Thanks so much for clarifying that.

And, we won't be going until 2009, so I'll keep the time frame you told me in mind. Right now I'm trying to figure out how much $ I need to save for our trip and the rest of my family wants details, too.

This was the missing piece for me. I couldn't figure out how all sides of the ship were going to see a glacier. Thanks so much for clarifying that.

And, we won't be going until 2009, so I'll keep the time frame you told me in mind. Right now I'm trying to figure out how much $ I need to save for our trip and the rest of my family wants details, too.

When our Princess ship entered Glacier Bay...the port side saw the glaciers first as the park ranger gave his commentary. Yes, the ship does turn, but the port side sees everything first and for a longer period of time. However, not having a balcony, I was at the very front of the ship most of the time, and it was NOT crowded.

When our Princess ship entered Glacier Bay...the port side saw the glaciers first as the park ranger gave his commentary. Yes, the ship does turn, but the port side sees everything first and for a longer period of time. However, not having a balcony, I was at the very front of the ship most of the time, and it was NOT crowded.

Do you know if the back gets to see it as the ship leaves? I would like to take some pics, but if the ship is spinning, it may be blurry. If I have a balcony at the back, will I have a while to take pictures as we're leaving?

Do you know if the back gets to see it as the ship leaves? I would like to take some pics, but if the ship is spinning, it may be blurry. If I have a balcony at the back, will I have a while to take pictures as we're leaving?

The ship turns very slowly...it doesn't spin. Yes, you can see it as you leave if your balcony is in the back of the ship, but I sure wouldn't want to wait until the ship leaves before seeing Glacier Bay.

Have you considered going outside during the glacier cruising? That's what we are planning to do and believe it will give us the maximal flexibility.

the stillness, quiet of the area (around the glaciers) is amazing. not a ripple in the water...those are what the folks on the port side balconies, foreward balconies and top decks experience. on our cruise, another ship come up and positioned itself between us and the glacier. when the ship turned, the people on the starboard side and aft didn't get as good a view as the others. plus what the ranges are pointing out/talking about are all on the port side. even if you have a balcony, you really need to get out on one of the open decks to get the feel for the area.

37.jpg.a7b2d2d1929c4c7ae0d32a33b92d246a.jpg

47.jpg.bfc813d3a3f212b21656656ba4ee0709.jpg

480993877_JohnHopkinskidinpool.jpg.eaf44763f2cba16c3db3fd441b5face9.jpg

Well, I won't really know what I'll do until I'm actually there, but my plan is to be outside while we're there and then, if we get a room at the back, quickly making my way to the balcony if I don't get the pics I want. Plus, my son who is 17 is in to photography even more than I am. He'll probably give me more hints when the time comes.

I find it always interesting the "ship turns, for everyone" getting views.

This is only a VERY small portion of the overall viewing potential, and you will never find me parked in one area waiting for that view, meaning side or back. I will always be out front and will continue the walk around the ship for constant viewing. I want the most I can get and always experience it.

Determine what is your priority???

I got the best photo of my cruise from the back of the ship as we were leaving College Fjords. We had been watching from side decks (actually going back & forth) & decided at the last minute to check out from the cafeteria deck. You can see the wake where the ship turned.

100_0874.jpg.518b78965a662708cd9099fc6dac696e.jpg

I got the best photo of my cruise from the back of the ship as we were leaving College Fjords. We had been watching from side decks (actually going back & forth) & decided at the last minute to check out the view from the cafeteria deck. You can see the wake where the ship turned.

[ATTACH]64067[/ATTACH]

I got the best photo of my cruise from the back of the ship as we were leaving College Fjords. We had been watching from side decks (actually going back & forth) & decided at the last minute to check out the view from the cafeteria deck. You can see the wake where the ship turned.

[ATTACH]64067[/ATTACH]

Nice Shot!! :D Looks like a painting.

Archived