Montego Bay...Need some suggestions

ripper998

Decided this should really be my first created post as this question has been plaguing me and my finace for our Honeymoon Cruise. We are sailing April 13th on Voyager of the Seas out of Galveston for a 7 day. We got a nice promenade cabin on deck 7, room 7583. Ports are Monty Bay, Grand Caymen and Cozumel. We have been looking at the excursions and deciding on what we want to do. For Grand Cayman we plan on doing Stingray City and Snorkeling (after some convincing on my part to my fiance). Cozumel it was decreed by my future bride that Dolphin Swimming at Xcatet is what we will be doing. But my question is, what do we do in Montego Bay? Dont want to do the shopping there as we will wait till Grand Cayman or Cozumel as the shops are less pushy there. But nothing else that I see on the RCI sanctioned excursions really stands out. Suggestions? Anything else we should do in the other two ports? I know its impossible to do everything but we want to hit the high points. Thanks for your opinions.

PS What does DH stand for in the posts I have seen?

I'm looking at the Canopy Tour as a possibility. It's a series of ziplines through the jungle canopy. Sounds like it would be really cool. If you're beach lovers, though, you might want to try a trip to Doctor's Cave beach or one of the other nearby beaches. There's an all-inclusive resort (Sunset Beach, I believe) that I've seen several folks recommend that sells day passes to cruisers for a reasonable charge. There were a couple plantation tours that sounded interesting to me, as well, but I'm still leaning toward the Chukka Canopy Tour.

Unless things have changed in the past year,enjoy the ship and stay on it. We were there last summer and it really felt like a 3rd world country. Actually someone tried to talk our daughter into buying something on one of the side streets,luckily we never leave our kids out of site when travelling and the local ran away.

As always just be aware of your surroundings even more when going to different countries.

Unless things have changed in the past year' date='enjoy the ship and stay on it. We were there last summer and it really felt like a 3rd world country. Actually someone tried to talk our daughter into buying something on one of the side streets,luckily we never leave our kids out of site when travelling and the local ran away.[/color']

As always just be aware of your surroundings even more when going to different countries.

I agree, I felt very uncomfortable in Jamaica this last week on the Enchantment. Shop workers are extremely pushy and will not let you leave unless you buy something. You will be approached by people wanting to sell you drugs, braid your hair, or sell you necklaces.

But, I think you should still get off the ship, just be careful. ONLY book excursions in Jamaica through RCI, even though you will pay more. We book excursions off the ship for all other ports of call besides Jamaica. On my cruise last week to Montego Bay, we booked a private excursion to Dunns River Falls.. Never again. It was just us 4 on a little tour bus, and we didn't know if we would come back alive. He took us to his friends shops to try to give them business, even though we said we didn't want to go. He was driving like a mad man (although everyone in Jamaica does) and almost got into a few accidents. The 2 hour drive to Ocho Rios was horrible. So yeah, stay safe and book excursions with RCI, not a private company.

We did a cruise on the Conquest with those same ports for our honeymoon. We made the mistake of getting off the ship in Jamaica. It almost ruined our honeymoon.

I wish I would have checked in to the Sandals package. That does sound like something reasonable to do. I don't know the answer about transportation. However, I would ONLY go on that excursion if Sandals (doubt they do) or RC provides transportation. As we discovered, even JUTA taxis are not safe.

What a great honeymoon! I wish we would have been on the Voyager (or Rhapsody) instead for our honeymoon out of Galveston. Have a great time!

We were there last summer and it really felt like a 3rd world country.

That's because it is a third world country:rolleyes:

You'll read lots of posts by people who hate the aggresive sales tactics. Frankly I don't get being so intimidated. The vendors are harmless and can't FORCE you to buy anything. Just go with the flow, be polite but firm, find a good carving or painting (cheap!), and have fun, mon:D They were just as aggresive in Labadee at the flea market and within 10 minutes our 7 year old was having a blast, shopping, negotiating, and in the swing of things!

Rose Hall Plantation is worthwhile. Sunset Beach Resort gets good reviews for their all-inclusive day pass. If nothing else do a little shopping and check out Margaritaville:)

My family went to Sunset Beach Resort last week, and I do not recommend it for honeymooners. The resort is currently under construction (not sure how long it will last) and there was noisy construction equipment all around, although the beach and pool area is open.

The beach is just okay - very small and not that nice, and the pool area is geared towards children with the waterslides. I thought the food was horrible (very local cuisine). We had a nice day but we had a child there. If it had been just me and my husband, we would have been very disapponted.

Our tablemates took the ship's canopy tour and loved it.

I agree with BouHunter, Jamaica can be wonderful if you are not intimidated by the overzealous locals. We went there on our cruise last December and had a beautiful day. We took a cab (very easy from the dock) to Doctor's Cave Beach. There is a small entry fee and fees for chairs and umbrellas but not very expensive. The water is beautiful and I have always found the locals to be very friendly. If you are looking for a good place for lunch, check out the Pork Pit -- unbelievable jerk chicken and pork. If you have travelled to Mexico, the local sales people are very similar. Don't be intimidated, just say no thanks and keep walking. As anywhere else (in the US even) be aware of where you are and go with your gut if you feel you are wandering off the tourist track and into uncomfortable settings. It would be a huge waste to stay on the ship and miss this beautiful island. The beaches and food (and Red Stripe) are wonderful. I feel so badly for travelers who are afraid or intimidated by different cultures -- isn't that why you travel, to experience other cultures?

Follow the point I'm making

Not A Safe Port (End Of Story)

Your point is quite obvious, but there are many of us who would disagree. Wherever you are in the world, you need to be aware of your surroundings and take reasonable precautions for your safety, but to forego the experience of visiting a beautiful island, populated by very friendly and outgoing people out of fear of the unknown is not IMHO, reasonable. We have been in Jamaica, in Ocho Rios, Negril and Montego Bay, a number of times and never feared for our safety. Aggressive vendors are not limited to Jamaica but in almost every instance, a firm "no thank you" has sufficed. As far as Sunset Beach resort goes, there are at least three pools in addition to the one with the slides and the beach was, quite long, with nice white sand. At the very far end of the beach is a clothing optional area but it is quite removed from the primary section of the resort. It has been a year since we were last there so I can't comment on the current state of construction but I have been led to believe that most or all of the renovation has been completed. We found the food to be more than adequate, though your tastes may not match ours. The resort is NOT a five star property but then the prices aren't at that level either. It is a family-friendly property and, having stayed there for a week, I would not say that it is not appropriate for honeymooners, unless they are looking for a very private and romantic resort along the lines of Sandals etc.:)

Archived