Exchanging money

caryatid

You don't need to change your $$

But note that the CI dollar is fixed to the US dollar such that your US $1 is 80 cents CI

Or.... she may look 20, but she's 16 CI

So you need to realize that most prices you see, unless very clearly marked otherwise, are in CI dollars. And a dollar CI is $1.20 US

And NUTHIN is cheap in CI .... to wit....

The bar I like to hang out at....Old Milwalkee light is the most popular beer with the locals.... "Why?" I asked....

"It's imported."

Also, unless you know the exchange rate they might try to rip you off.

Actually, that's so much less of a concern in Cayman than on most other islands...or at least that's been my experience. It's a very friendly, honest, "moral" kind of island...exercising the same cautions you would when visiting a small town or city in a neighbouring state will be fine.

There are no currency exchange houses in Cayman. It really is not necessary as USD$ are accepted everywhere.

If you pay in USD you will likely get change in CI$. A few places, but not many, do offer USD change.

When you pay with US$ the exchange rate is US$1=CI$0.80. or looking at it another way US$1.25 =CI$1.

If you take leftover CI$ to the bank to buy back US$ you get hit with a rate difference. The "buy rate" is US$1=CI$0.84 or about US$1.19=CI$1.

Major credit cards are widely accepted. The merchant sets the exchange rate (normally US$1=CI$0.80) and processes your charge in USD$. The amount you sign for on the slip is the amount that appears on your charge card bill - no foreign exchange fees from VISA/MC.

Archived