Cabins for people who get seasick?

relo854

Just tried to book an Alaskan Cruise in June 2008. Cabin choice was liminted. TA put us down for the last balcony cabin on the 11th deck...the other choice was a cabin right near the elevator. She said both rooms were a good location, the other choice was up another deck near the self laundry station.. We did not book the cruise (we are going to wait until next season). we felt the room selection was bad. She assured me that I shouldn't get sick in the last cabin or by being on the highest cabin deck on the ship. Any comments on the last cabin as far as ship motion/noise is greatly appreciated..thanks in advance.

Ideally, it's good to be on a lower deck and as mid deck as possible. You will typically feel the motion the higher you are and the more forward you are. Being in the back of the ship is better than being in the most forward section.

We have found that being near an elevator can be OK just depends which cruise line you are on. On many of the cruise lines it is not too noisy.

Which cruise line and cruise ship were you looking at.

Keith

........ Any comments on the last cabin as far as ship motion/noise is greatly appreciated..thanks in advance.

Low and midship are the best bet. A lot will depend on the sea state, but that is the best place to be for less motion. It also helps me to get fresh air if I start feeling a little sea sick.;)

I have been on two cruises. First I was mid-level and never felt the ship's motion. The second I was on the highest level for cabins and about the sixth cabin from the front and felt every wave we went over. Since I wear the patch I do not get sea sick. Our next cruise in January is also on the highest level and about 6 cabins from the front.

If you know you get sea sick then don't book a high-forward cabin. If you have never been on a cruise give it a try - you might not get sea sick. If you do at the first sign of queasiness go to the shipboard clinic and get a shot. The sooner you get help the quicker you will be able to enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I am the typical "what if" person and because of this I won't fly and have missed out on some wonderful trips abroads. Don't be like me - get out and enjoy life.

On a smaller ferry (or what they call small cruise ship!) out of Portland, Maine....I got sea sick. In the Caribbean I was on a 25 foot sail boat and as soon as they put the sail up, I got sea sick. I have never been on a cruise and am scared to death of one (for several reasons) but I want to see Alaska and want to try a cruise. Hopefully, I won't get sick and I will enjoy a cruise, cruises take people to so many great places!! The cruise ships have a shot for sea sickness .... if you take the insurance is that covered? I was planning on taking Drammimine (spelling?) or something similar to that.....maybe even try the patch.

Archived