NCL Spirt out of New Orleans BEWARE

mschuchu

Its getting closer...and closer...I cant wait!!!

This is when I start worring about what can go wrong to prevent me from leaving. Am I the only one who does this? I worry about having an accident and being in the hospital on cruise day or a family member getting sick or something. Geez...I have been even driving the speed limit the past few days. LOL

I get very careful about my car since we usually drive to a cruise (NOLA or Galveston) -- making sure I brake in plenty of time, no sudden braking though. For some reason, I feel like the car will be safe as long as I brake properly. :D

It will be "the case" if you go into the cruise believing chuchu. However, if you listen to jkloni and Toyz and Ozgal and the other rational posters here and go into it with the expectation it will be a very nice time, you'll be fine.

I don't think you read my last paragraph. I'm not on the cruise for the food. Even if it's the worse cruise ever it will be fun because I will be away from work. ;)

No I don't think its so much about being spicey, the salad dressings were like watered down very very runny every time. deserts were all the same made with jello and whip cream, there were no rich yummy derserts only in the specialty dinning areas. I'm not looking for diet food on a cruise! They could add a little sugar to thier desserts.
I just got off the Spirit yesterday and we found the deserts to be sweet when called for. The coconut cream pie was to die for. Each person has an opinion.

Well I'm back said I would'nt post here again but just could'nt resist. You can call me a troll and get you're little popcorn out if you like, but if there's any native New Orleanians out there you most certainly will not like the food on the NCL spirt. The crew is'nt that friendly either unless you're paying for the specialty reaturants, seems to me Norwegians serving very low grade bland food in there main dinning rooms in hopes that the passengers will pay for specialty dinning . I spoke with my travel agent today and 2 of their other clients had alot of the same complaints I had. If I were you I would definitely consider going on a different cruise. Wish I had known in advance!!

We just got off the Sprot yesterday and seem to have an opposite opinion than you. Our salad dressing was not runny and the desserts were great. However, the orange and carrot soup was disgusting while at the same time a lady setting next to us loved it.

Just returned from Spirit Cruise.

Here is what happened to us:

Boarding took 15 minutes. Went to Windows for lunch, nobody there (they had been referred to buffet). Had EXCELLENT service and a great meal. Highly suggest you do this on boarding day.

Rooms (two cabins) were clean and well cared for the entire cruise. No problems.

All meals were fine. A few items were great, but most were good. There were some items that were less than good, or worse. Mostly buffett. So we ate something else. Of people we talked to, most said the food and service was great. Heard less complaining than we normally hear on cruise ships, even the "good ones". Did not bother to do speciality - spent too much on wine. (we got two free bottles...lol)

Did not do NCL excursions, rarelly do anyways.

Attended a few shows. One that everyone raved about (country music star), we did not like at all. Make sure you see FOUNTAINS on the last or next to last night.

As usual, they pushed pictures, foo-foo drinks, art auctions, bingo, etc. We ignore that stuff as usual. Overall, it was a great cruise. Ready to go again, and we have done two out of New Orleans this year. We do NOT expect the great food that New Orleans is known for, but then again, not EVERYONE loves that food either. Really!

Great cruise, crew friendly, helpful and caring could not have been nicer. Room stewards always addressed us by name. These people are great at what they do, and naturally friendly. We had a towel animal almost every night...mouse, monkey, dog, walrus, and last night a zoo...my grandson was thrilled as was I. My daughter and her two son ,from New Orleans, and I had ajoining cabins.(different cabin stewards) Both cabins were cleaned everyday if not twice a day. All walls and counter tops wiped down daily. Grandson left money lying around cabin and it was never touched. In the restaurants we were treated as being special guest. The waiters were very patient explaining what the foods were then having to wait for our party to make up our minds as to what we wanted to order or reorder. No ugly looks when we all ask for seconds on shrimp cocktails or desserts. If we engaged them in conversation they would talk back, some more than others, if we seemed aloof they would give us our privacy. As for the tours we book our own on each stop and all were the best ever, will be happy to share info if anyone wants it. As for the food if I didn't have to cook it or serve it, it was wonderful!

Sounds like the Spirit is a good cruise! I am always skeptical of the food reviews here, and have decided to join the "I don't care about the food" club... just let me be at sea for a week. I will be happy with whatever slop you put in the trough! Oink~

NO DINGO !!! It's "woof!" ;)

Debbie, if you can honestly say the Fantasy is better than the Spirit and have been on the FAntasy in the past year or so, the Spirit must have been the worst ship in the water right now. I am not comparing Carnival to NCL as this is a personal preferance and a very subjective thing, but there is no way the Fantasy could be better than the Spirit unless it has gone down hill big time. When were you on the Fantasy?

Nita

While we were never on the Fantasy, we were on her sister, Inspiration (back when NOLA was one of her ports of call). We were early seating on that sailing and I remember that DW and I were able to take the kids to the NOLA aquarium in the morning and leave them in camp that afternoon and for dinner (at no charge - NCL charges for in port sitting). We stayed ashore past our assigned seating, but had no problem getting a table for two at the late seating where we enjoyed a filet that was on par with what we paid for at Cagney's (or the Point on the Conquest for that matter).

Showroom on the Spirit, as well as the review performers on the Spirit, were way better; but, sets, stageband, music selection, costumes, made for better shows overall on Inspiration.

We enjoyed our Spirit cruise much more than our previous NCL cruises, mainly because the wait for Freestyle dining was much improved (the plasma screens with the bar graphs are a great help) and because the Spirit is a beautiful ship with a real great layout. They also did a real good job with debarkation and embarkation in the ports of call.

We wouldn't choose a cruiseline for the food and agree that it is largely subjective matter: however, NCL has fewer choices on the main menu and does not offer a regular steak or chicken alternate on the main menus, so they are bound to see more food complaints.

While we were never on the Fantasy, we were on her sister, Inspiration (back when NOLA was one of her ports of call). We were early seating on that sailing and I remember that DW and I were able to take the kids to the NOLA aquarium in the morning and leave them in camp that afternoon and for dinner (at no charge - NCL charges for in port sitting). .

This is the first I've ever heard of this. Every night (including nights where we're in port) I've been on an NCL ship at least one of the main rooms have been open (as usual at no charge). Are you certain that is no longer the case?

Going back to the ship after a long day (or evening) ashore, without being tied to a schedule, and finding a (main) dining room open is something we always look forward to

: however, NCL has fewer choices on the main menu and does not offer a regular steak or chicken alternate on the main menus, so they are bound to see more food complaints.

I don't know why they no longer list the steak or chicken alternative on the menu but they are always available. Ask and you will recieve. I too believe they would have less complaints if they would list it so people other than those seeing it here would know.

The excursions were great! The shows good. The room servise not good had to clean my own coffee pot out, that should have been done had to go down get my own towels almost every day. Pull out bed they were putting my son in was full of black mold it was really bad. Garbage cans not emptied. It just was'nt good for me maybe it was just a isolated case.

Interesting thread. Just got off the Spirit Sunday and DH & I are already looking at booking the ship for next year because it was so friendly, food was up there with some of the best meals we've had on an NCL ship (we've sailed NCL 9 times on 6 different ships) and our stewards (as well as ship officers, dining staff and every other employee on the ship) was among the best we've seen in any of our cruises so far including those cruises on other cruise lines.

Didn't find the food bland at all, but then we never ate in the buffet, not even once. But then we hail from the midwest where we season our food with salt and pepper instead of drowning it in hot spices.

Personally, DH & I found the entertainment on the Spirit rather bland for our tastes but we still enjoyed the shows that we went to. We truly enjoyed our 2 1/2 days in the Big Easy and are looking forward to being there again within the year.

All I can say is, different strokes for different folks when it comes to enjoying a specific cruise.

Sorry the OP didn't enjoy the cruise but I saw many a happy smile on the faces of pax on our cruise and many pax saying they would book the Spirit again in a heart beat.

Dianne

This is the first I've ever heard of this. Every night (including nights where we're in port) I've been on an NCL ship the main rooms have been open at no charge. Are you certain that is no longer the case?

The kids camp in port "sitting" on the Inspiration was at no charge. We generally wouldn't leave our kids on the ship

in port, but the River Walk terminal was walking distance to the French Quarter, so that was a nice option for a US port of call.

The main rooms (and the Tratorria) were no charge in port and at sea, I did not mean to mislead folks there. The kids camp on the Spirit is closed on port days (open in the morning on the Sea/Rotan day) but would open for a sitting fee if enough kids were signed up.

The main rooms (and the Tratorria) were no charge in port and at sea, I did not mean to mislead folks there. .

Thanks for clarifying this. I almost crapped a brick when I read the original!

BTW-I had followed the "saga" of your CS problems prior to your cruise and am glad that the cruise itself was better than you expected

Interesting thread. Just got off the Spirit Sunday and DH & I are already looking at booking the ship for next year because it was so friendly, food was up there with some of the best meals we've had on an NCL ship (we've sailed NCL 9 times on 6 different ships) and our stewards (as well as ship officers, dining staff and every other employee on the ship) was among the best we've seen in any of our cruises so far including those cruises on other cruise lines.

Didn't find the food bland at all, but then we never ate in the buffet, not even once. But then we hail from the midwest where we season our food with salt and pepper instead of drowning it in hot spices.

Personally, DH & I found the entertainment on the Spirit rather bland for our tastes but we still enjoyed the shows that we went to. We truly enjoyed our 2 1/2 days in the Big Easy and are looking forward to being there again within the year.

All I can say is, different strokes for different folks when it comes to enjoying a specific cruise.

Sorry the OP didn't enjoy the cruise but I saw many a happy smile on the faces of pax on our cruise and many pax saying they would book the Spirit again in a heart beat.

Dianne

wow Diane, nine times, now you are gold, right?? Glad you enjoyed yourselves. I really think some people just don't quite know what to expect when they cruise. I have been following this thread. I think it may have been their first cruise and it sounds like cruising may not be for them.

Nita

wow Diane, nine times, now you are gold, right?? Glad you enjoyed yourselves. I really think some people just don't quite know what to expect when they cruise. I have been following this thread. I think it may have been their first cruise and it sounds like cruising may not be for them.

Nita

Hi Nita. Enjoyed, yes we did. From the first minute we got off our plane in Nola the day before the cruise and on to the cruise and the day and a half after the cruise we spent in Nola -- we had a blast.

Gwynn & I both ate so much that it's going to take us months to recover.:D

Quite frankly, we'd put our experience on the Spirit at least a couple if not more notches up from our Sept. cruise on the Star and the Star has always been our favorite NCL ship until now.

Spirit head chef is from Bavaria and he was in and out of the main dining room several times during the cruise and attended various events around the ship. Very personable and open with the pax.

Hotel manager was far more personable than on the Star.

Can you believe that our CC meeting on the Spirit was set up with a full array of pastries, juices, tea and coffee? To top it off, about 6 or 7 of the ship's officers attended the CC meeting and the CD stopped in for awhile as well.

Big difference over the way CC was treated on the Sept. Star cruise.

Hope to sail with you again soon.

Dianne

Spirit head chef is from Bavaria and he was in and out of the main dining room several times during the cruise and attended various events around the ship. Very personable and open with the pax.

Hotel manager was far more personable than on the Star.

Can you believe that our CC meeting on the Spirit was set up with a full array of pastries, juices, tea and coffee? To top it off, about 6 or 7 of the ship's officers attended the CC meeting and the CD stopped in for awhile as well.

Big difference over the way CC was treated on the Sept. Star cruise.

Dianne

Hi Dianne,

We had nothing but praise for the ship's staff on the way they treated our group. I actually got to go scuba diving with the Chef and Hugo (HD) in Aruba. Darin (CD) was great in setting up a Veteran's meeting for me and for a final Cruise Critic get together in the Freestyle Daily. The Ship's Coordinator was great in ensuring ours needs were met for our various Meet & Greets and our paid Cocktail Party.

It seems everytime I turned around a corner, I was running into Hugo. A big difference compared to most of my Carnival cruises where most of the ship's staff disappears into the crew areas.

Dave

Hi Dianne,

We had nothing but praise for the ship's staff on the way they treated our group. I actually got to go scuba diving with the Chef and Hugo (HD) in Aruba. Darin (CD) was great in setting up a Veteran's meeting for me and for a final Cruise Critic get together in the Freestyle Daily. The Ship's Coordinator was great in ensuring ours needs were met for our various Meet & Greets and our paid Cocktail Party.

It seems everytime I turned around a corner, I was running into Hugo. A big difference compared to most of my Carnival cruises where most of the ship's staff disappears into the crew areas.

Dave

And I'll say it again as will you -- Spirit's crew has spirit and shows it in every way.

Have helped arrange many a CC meeting on various cruise ships and cruiselines. Darin & staff were the first to ever put a CC meeting time in the daily newsletter. I complimented the staff on this. They acted like it was their duty to make sure all interested in the meeting would be reminded.

Actually had a brand new CC member attend our meeting. So new that he had just found the CC website the night before while researching things to do in Guatemala. He read our roll call, drove to NOLA the next day and was at our CC meeting on Monday thanks to the meeting time and place mentioned in the daily.

Dianne

Archived