Why,Why,Why The Obsession

I don't eat Lobster but my friends and relatives love eating it on cruise ships. Why? Because we do not live on the East or West Coast where fresh Lobster is readily available and on the rare occasion when you can find a fresh Lobster it can be quite expensive.

Hate to burst their bubble, but the lobster served on the ship is NOT fresh by any stretch of the imagination. No matter where you live, you can easily get frozen lobster tails which are as good as, and probably much better than, anything you can get on a ship. Heck, I remember back to high school cooking class, our "kitchen" opted to make lobster tails on the day we learned seafood. We paid for them ourselves (but they were not very expensive - even today I can get them on sale for $4.99, and this was over 40 years ago) and made them. If four 16 year olds could do it, so can you.

But, I'll agree that for many people it's tradition and principle. Personally, I don't care for baked Alaska (and was disappointed that I was expected to eat it on the night of the big parade) and haven't been near the midnight buffet in many years (who needs to be part of a hoard of people acting like they haven't seen food in a month), but I can see where it is an important part of cruising to a lot of people.

I don't eat Lobster but my friends and relatives love eating it on cruise ships. Why? Because we do not live on the East or West Coast where fresh Lobster is readily available and on the rare occasion when you can find a fresh Lobster it can be quite expensive.

I don't know about Lafayette, but I'm not that far from you, here in Baton Rouge. I could buy live Maine lobster out of a little tank at the WalMart, if I so desired. It's not something I normally do, but I could. They'll even steam it for you for no extra charge. I did notice, in light of recent discussions here, that the price of the live lobsters is quite high right now. They were about $16/lb! I know I've seen them closer to $10/lb not too long ago.

Why is there such an obsession on the boards regarding lobster? I guess I just don't understand. Is a lousy warm water lobster tail that taste like rubber that important to change someone's mind about going on a cruise?

its considered a delicacy and its not something people eat everyday and they feel like they are getting treated very well when they have it. I agree with you, I dont care one way or another

I would like to know too! Maybe they don't have seafood restaurants close by, or maybe they don't want to go out and pay the market price for lobster. So they may look forward to the lobster dinner on the ship. The lobsters that we have had on most cruises is really nothing to rave about, with the exception of the most recent cruise. That one was about two weeks ago and the lobster was suprisingly good. I originally did not order the lobster, but everyone at the table said it was really good and not only that it was actually a nice size. It is not a big thing for us, we go out to eat quite often and quite often we have lobster.

Annieeee

I was thinking the same thing, I can have it anytime I want, so it is no big deal for me. Now crab legs, that is another thing:rolleyes: hehehe. Kidding aside, it is not something I need for a perfect cruise.

Doesn't bother me a bit since I don't eat any kind of seafood at all. DH loves the lobster, but will it make or break a cruise for us?? Of course not. We love cruising, always have a great time, think the food is great, and have never had anything major to complain about.

I am with the others, I don't look at the menu until we are seated for dinner, never look at the Cruise Compass until it arrives in the room. I only check the entertainment at night, other than that, we don't participate in any ship activities. We head to the islands the moment we can, and days at sea I find my lounger and don't move for the entire day except to take a bathroom break. Sun, book, and a drink is all I need to be entertained. For us it is all about relaxing! Love cruising.

I'm not really sure. I guess because Lobster was always one of those cruise ship traditions. Captains cocktails, italian night, baked alaska, midnight buffet, and lobster. I don't really mind too much, I won't stop cruising for sure, but I think its just another part of the old luxurious, traditional cruise experience that is going away and people hate to see it change. This week will be my DH's very first cruise and I am a bit disappointed that he will not have the same kind of experience I had on mine. The elegance, the servers who spoke very little English but seem to have been bred for kindness and thoughtfulness, the small ship with the corny entertainers, and yes...the lobster tail:o .

BINGO...We have a winner! Very well put...it's not the food itself...it's the tradition and experience!!!!

Archived